Minions movements

Hello GGG. I wonder if it's a bug or if i am dreaming or simply bad luck but since the new patch is up it seems minions are worse than usual at following correctly and get stuck more often than before.
Here is one screen as an example where they are all stuck on the bottom left of the screen whereas no obstacles are on their way. Waited around 3 minutes before i took the screen. I find myself alone a bit too often this is kinda weird.

This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I've noticed that they don't follow me nearly as well anymore :(
This has totally broken the way I play the game. :(

My minions now surround my TOTEM...not me...which just doesn't work for me. When my totem goes away, my minions stay where the totem WAS, rather than following me.

It's very, very annoying!
Indeed. Here is a screen showing this problem.

Last edited by Yesu on Jan 29, 2014, 10:11:07 PM
It looks like this got missed from the patch notes, but we did change minion following behaviour in this patch.

Previously, minion's aggro radius was centred on you, unless you were currently preforming an action, in which case it was centred on your targeted location. While this gave people a way of controlling minions by using skills repeatedly targeting areas, it was sub-par because stopping doing things, moving, or applying a self-buff or similar stopped your targeting, and made the minions give up and rush back to you, getting attacked in the process.

Now, minion's aggro radius is "sticky". While you're doing an action, they'll target your targeted location as before, but now when you stop, they'll remember where you were targeting. Doing another action sets a new target location, and they'll remember that instead. Additionally, movement actions will not reset this unless/until you begin moving to a location that's a noticeable distance from their remembered location. When you do this it "unsticks", meaning they'll continue immediately following where you're walking to without "sticking" to another location until you do some non-movement action.
This allows you to use skills to put your minions where you want them, but still be able to reposition yourself without them immediately running back to you as used to happen.

From your feedback, it sounds like the distance you need to move away from their location to get them to drop it is proving too high for you, we can adjust this number based on feedback, so let us know how this goes as you get used to the new system.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
It looks like this got missed from the patch notes, but we did change minion following behaviour in this patch.

Previously, minion's aggro radius was centred on you, unless you were currently preforming an action, in which case it was centred on your targeted location. While this gave people a way of controlling minions by using skills repeatedly targeting areas, it was sub-par because stopping doing things, moving, or applying a self-buff or similar stopped your targeting, and made the minions give up and rush back to you, getting attacked in the process.

Now, minion's aggro radius is "sticky". While you're doing an action, they'll target your targeted location as before, but now when you stop, they'll remember where you were targeting. Doing another action sets a new target location, and they'll remember that instead. Additionally, movement actions will not reset this unless/until you begin moving to a location that's a noticeable distance from their remembered location. When you do this it "unsticks", meaning they'll continue immediately following where you're walking to without "sticking" to another location until you do some non-movement action.
This allows you to use skills to put your minions where you want them, but still be able to reposition yourself without them immediately running back to you as used to happen.

Nice updates.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
This allows you to use skills to put your minions where you want them, but still be able to reposition yourself without them immediately running back to you as used to happen...

But see, for me it doesn't do that. I raise flame sentinel spectres as my minions, which use ranged fire attacks. Before they stayed behind me and backed up my attacks with fire. They almost NEVER took enough damage to have to retreat and heal them, let alone died. Now they act like melee fighters, and die over and over again. :(

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE change this back to the way it was!!!
Last edited by Obright on Jan 29, 2014, 10:23:59 PM
"
Obright wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
This allows you to use skills to put your minions where you want them, but still be able to reposition yourself without them immediately running back to you as used to happen...

But see, for me it doesn't do that. I raise flame sentinel spectres as my minions, which use ranged fire attacks. Before they stayed behind me and backed up my attacks with fire. They almost NEVER took enough damage to have to retreat and heal them, let alone died. Now they act like melee fighters, and die over and over again. :(

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE change this back to the way it was!!!

Oh that sounds like a problem.Now to deep coding melee/range minions gonna take a while.
Thanks for the clarification, i've tested this a bit more and we have indeed more control on them but i think the distance needed for them to come back is a bit too long.
Here is a screen showing the limit , if i move more near the pillar , they come back but i think i'm already too far from them.

I would suggest this(i'm a pro at paint as u can see) :
Last edited by Yesu on Jan 29, 2014, 10:52:39 PM
Would it be at all feasible to have 2 types of movement patterns, one for melee minions, and one for ranged ones? Because before my raised spectres behaved PERFECTLY for fragile, ranged attackers, and now their AI is kinda ridiculous for them.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info