Sounds/ sound effects in the game

So basically, I've just seen the scene where our hero is washed up the shore and there was a very good sound effect of thundering and in that moment the idea of necessity of cool sound effects struck my mind. I would like to hear very clear and chilling sound effects in the game since it really can add something phenomenal to the gameplay. For example when you enter a den where you have never been before and its dark and you dont know what to expect then a crystal clear water-dripping sound effect echoing through the cave... now that is something very chilling and intimidating. It is a bit horror-like maybe but I suppose it goes well with the world you are wandering in with your hero.
cheers
Last edited by Kress on Jun 29, 2011, 11:25:54 AM
You checked both of these right?

One of my favorite things about PoE has been the sound. GGG has done a really great job with making the music really fit the game in my opinion.
In since 0.8.0
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kungfooe
Yeah, they are nice, especially the main theme. But I would like to listen to more of them:D.
Sound effects (not music) are cornerstone of good h&s.
Nice music is cool thing, but eventually everyone would just mute it, even best tracks will start to annoy you when you will listen to them for 1654th time (including tristram theme :P).
But you won't mute sound effects since they are telling what's going on (did you hit enemy or not or whether you get dmg or blocked/evade it) so they have to be 'juicy' - not annoying yet easy to distinguish in the brawl.
I could make many bad remarks about D2 gameplay but sounds were pretty much flawless, the good thing it seems you can do similar job without some crazy budget, it's about creativity and thought not long hours of coding/rendering.

To get it short:
I say 'blown up barrel' or 'you hit a skeleton' and we just know how it sounds.
That's a good sound effect, I wish GGG make good job in that department.
"
ness wrote:
Sound effects (not music) are cornerstone of good h&s.
Nice music is cool thing, but eventually everyone would just mute it, even best tracks will start to annoy you when you will listen to them for 1654th time (including tristram theme :P).
But you won't mute sound effects since they are telling what's going on (did you hit enemy or not or whether you get dmg or blocked/evade it) so they have to be 'juicy' - not annoying yet easy to distinguish in the brawl.
I could make many bad remarks about D2 gameplay but sounds were pretty much flawless, the good thing it seems you can do similar job without some crazy budget, it's about creativity and thought not long hours of coding/rendering.

To get it short:
I say 'blown up barrel' or 'you hit a skeleton' and we just know how it sounds.
That's a good sound effect, I wish GGG make good job in that department.

Nicely put
I love the sound of my arrows penetrating the bones of a skeleton
Above content may contain traces of nonsense.

Reality is simply an unrealistic version of online gaming.
"
wakko wrote:
I love the sound of my arrows penetrating the bones of a skeleton

It's a cool sound. I also like the sound of my heavy maul crushing the skulls of enemies. Something very satisfying in it.
"Instead of praising what you do not understand, try understanding what you do not praise."
- Charles L. Haeldrik
Nothing beats hearing almost no sounds for a minute or so followed by Ice Nova hitting 10+ monsters at the same time!

AoE FTW!
"I am The Banisher, the ill will that snuffs the final candle." - Seal of Doom (MTG)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info