Game's diversity

I have a few questions that i would like to know the answer to or am confused about. These questions basically range in the area of how diverse this game is. (I have not seen any other threads with this particular topic - if there is another, than sorry.)

1. How many different types of weapons and armour are their? Do they all look distinct? How accessible are they (in terms of how easily are they acquired - some example would be appreciated)?

2. I'm still kind of confused on how this will work so... Will each class acquire class specific skills that other classes cannot use? If not, how will each class be unique? If so, how many different types of skills will each class receive and what will be needed to use each skill (eg: mana, some special loot taken off mobs)?

3. How many different types of quests are there (are they all just kill X number of mobs)? If there is a range of quests, what types are there? If not, how will continually killing mobs keep your audience interested?

4. Is there any sense of class development (in terms of feeling like you are actually getting stronger and able to kill more mobs easier)?

Thank you very much for any able responses =).

I am very excited about this game, i am just anxious to know whether my excitement and hope will be satisfied or if the game will fail to deliver.

(PS i loved Diablo 2 and have been looking for a game like it for ages - i really hope this game meets that potential.)

(PPS Titan Quest worked for a bit,Dungeon Siege 3 was meh, Drakensang Online failed.)
WOOOOO_NESS_OF_DOOM!!!!!
Greetings, Nightblaze1.

Most of what youre asking about can be found here http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/469, theres quite a bit of info in the dev diary. I'm not in alpha so I dont know any more than that.

That said:

1. A lot. Really a lot, they wont have item "ranks" like D2 (normal, exceptional and elite), but have a lot of diferent base items and theyre adding more.

2. All of the skills can be used by any class, but the class corresponding to the skill's attribute (dex/int/str) will make better use of it. Its much like FF7 (If youve played it, I have just enough to know about the materia system), with the addition of skills benefitting from certain attribute.

3. I've not seen any info so far, last I heared there were no quests in alpha, but I'd imagine something like D2? Really, quests were the last thing that made me play through D2 again and again...3 time each...so I wouldnt worry about losing interest here.

4. Obviously. From what I see so far the character "building" element is strong just like D2.

So all in all I'd say youre excited for a reason - just like all of us, lets hope it plays out the way we imagine.

Cheers (=
Last edited by nermind on Jun 29, 2011, 5:50:28 AM
None of the quests involve killing a certain number of monsters.

The five quests we currently have in Act One of the Alpha involve either killing specific plot bosses, fetching some specific quest items (from the environment or from bosses). There are a selection of very interesting quests in development for the remainder of Act One and Act Two.

The purpose of quests in a game like this is to drive the player forward, but not force them to scurry around doing activities that are not aligned with either of the two core gameplay elements of an Action RPG (killing monsters and upgrading items).
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
yes becouse quest of type in wow sucks from time to time,i mean go collect 10 rabbit legs , oo you got them now go collect 15 red years....this is not very chalenging
Thank you sincerely Nermind and Chris - very helpful. Cheers =).
WOOOOO_NESS_OF_DOOM!!!!!
"
Bulkathos wrote:
yes becouse quest of type in wow sucks from time to time,i mean go collect 10 rabbit legs , oo you got them now go collect 15 red years....this is not very chalenging

Most new rpg´s have these kind of quest´s and they get bored instantly. The reason why they do this, is probably because they could´nt come up with anything else for questing.

Thanks Chris for confirming that you wont go down this road!
Regarding 4...

Yes. Actually I think that PoE does this better than any other ARPG I have played. Due to the way the gem system works and your ability to augment skills, you can truly make a distinct character built around an idea that YOU have.

For example. I have a caster who uses the fireball skill. With augmentations I can make the fireball do different damages (ice/lightning) and have different effects (knockback/stun). Couple that with the boosts from items and skills and you can design a caster who specializes in stunning here foes. Or, you could skip that and go for pure damage...

Very fun.

ps. this is for the current alpha build so things may change later on :)
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
Last edited by Wittgenstein on Jun 30, 2011, 11:47:53 AM
Sorry to bring this thread up again but i have another question:

How heavy is the AOE in this game with all the classes? Will each class have a variety of AOE abilities? (Its just that an ARPG game cannot fully be an ARPG game without a heavy theme of AOE attacks).
WOOOOO_NESS_OF_DOOM!!!!!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info