The key to understanding PoE may be that is it not made for the same players as Diablo 2

"
Crackmonster wrote:

Then you are wrong beyond opinion.

:-) Cheers mate. Not my issue that the word trade doesn't really cover all the different possible aspects. Limited by language as usual.
I just don't think that any ARPG will ever get the math right... the right balance between awesome loot drops vs time played.

Hardcore does not = massive massive time sink. That's the main problem with POE. They have the carrot on the stick basically set to Mars for distance.

Meh - I'll continue to check it out every month or 2 or until I just get bored with checking in for updates that suite my play style. Some day I'll just forget the game and maybe a few years down the road I'll stumble on my POE t-shirt and be like: "shit - that was a game that had major potential. Too bad the loot and gambling(crafting) system sucked in it. it should have destroyed D2 but sadly was medeocre at best. oh well"

D2 was a thing of perfection.

POE is meh.

D3 is meh.

Hopefully an ARPG actually follows in D2 footsteps. Set items. Runes. Runewords. Sockets. Crafting that actually gets you somewhere. Fun uniques. Fantastic build skill tree. And rates of return that actually make sense: 100 hrs played nets you a good items. (Not 1000 played nets you heart ache and wasted time.)
"
majesw wrote:
"
Galtrovan wrote:

Just change "find everything" to "find most everything" if it suits you. I'm well aware runes above Ohm are damn near impossible to find and Tyrael's Might is practically impossible to find. But other than these "find everything" applies. And for what it's worth, with my decade of on/off playing of Diablo 2, yes, I found every rune at least once, and that was before the patch that added skill respecs and increased high-rune drops. Tyrael's Might on the other hand, never, ever found it. Every other unique and set item though, barring those that only dropped in D2:Lod version 1.08, yes I found every single one of them... several times over. I'd give away Tal Armors, Windforces, Grandfathers, during a ladder season without giving a crap. Of course one could argue, the latter 2 weren't all that useful once the overpowered rune words were added to the game in 1.10.

Edit... If you care, in the 1.10 ladder season I ran with Tiffa's Revenge. Tiffa won the ladder as I recall and several others were in the top 10. Me, I didn't care about the ladder. If did I could have been the 1st place Druid. But anyway, running with a party of 8, most ladder racers, where everyone shared the drops, ... items were plentiful, even the high-runes.

If you play this game for a decade you will drop everything.

No doubt that is probably true. However, in D2, barring high-runes and Tyrael's Might, I can start from scratch, play solo, and in 6 to 8 weeks pretty much "find everything". I got very good at it. My record for "finding everything" is about 5 weeks (of playing like the no-life streamers of today). In PoE, with the current state to the game, finding everything isn't possible solo, not because I don't play enough, but because items are gated behind unaccessible/unsustainable map content.
Last edited by Galtrovan on Jan 24, 2014, 2:43:20 PM
just because trading was in the game , does not mean the developers designed the game play to require trading.

i can tell you from ten years of experience in d2 that game was by far the most self found friendly game of the genre you can find to this day if we exclude the torchlight series.

trading really only came into the picture when referring to items that were so stupidly rare that the only reasonable way to get them was through trading

(shocker 90% of all items in that category were the runewords and the runes that made them)
"
majesw wrote:

Yet trading was in the game from the start. You don't think it crossed the developer's minds at all?

I don't really remember many games having economies back then, so even if it crossed their mind Blizz probably didn't think trading should be the main way players will acquire items.

Trading by itself is not bad, but when it becomes easier to acquire items through trading instead of playing the game then something is wrong. That was D3's problem and it's the same in PoE, but like I said PoE is a little behind in the timeframe.
It is certainly not limited by language. It originates before money came about.

Back then you "traded" something valuable for something else. Expensive minerals for example such as gold which eventually became money.

Before society was as advanced as now, your services or whatever goods you could provide were traded for either goods or services. To become paid for working a job is still a trade, it has just become automatic.

To trade literally means buying or selling goods or services.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
PoE is a lot more in-depth, and has much more varied possibilities for builds, than D2 ever had.

D2 as amazing, and was my favorite game of all time for over a decade. But PoE has that lofty title now. :P
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
I actually can't wait for a crack to POE and someone sets up an offline mode + a slider for drop rates, and crafting that you can control as a user.

Yup. I just said it.
"
Saltychipmunk wrote:
just because trading was in the game , does not mean the developers designed the game play to require trading.

i can tell you from ten years of experience in d2 that game was by far the most self found friendly game of the genre you can find to this day if we exclude the torchlight series.

trading really only came into the picture when referring to items that were so stupidly rare that the only reasonable way to get them was through trading

(shocker 90% of all items in that category were the runewords and the runes that made them)

So true. The times I played after the 1.10 ladder seasson, the only items for which I traded were the high-runes. But I only did this after I was basically done/had everything else/was bored/wanted to mess around with the dupewords/knew I was going to quit afterwords and let all my characters and mules expire due to over 90 days of inactivity. A self-reset if you will. Cause after 1.10 Blizzard pretty much didn't bother to do ladder resets until they announced D3 coming. So I did my own.
How many of the D2 nostalgia crew also played the original Diablo on BNet?

There was trading all the way back in that game. The D2 devs very much knew that trading would be a reality in that title. Attempting to argue otherwise, is delusional.

If it weren't for me being gifted duped GG items in D1 I would not have so quickly come to the realization of just how totally boring games can become once there is no challenge left or hill to climb. Godly Plate of The Whale + "Perfect" Dreamflange just ruined it. 100% "legit" play from there on out for me.

If your most memorable/best experiences from D2 are predicated on having perfect gear for any build readily available, then you aren't going to find anything comparable in PoE without making a massive investment of time or "winning the lottery". This has everything to do with the decision that the developers made to produce a hack-free and cheat-free product, and that selling point is one of the draws that pulled me, and a number of other fans of this game, here in the first place.

You see, there are those of us that consider playing a game with only the slightest, slimmest possibility of EVER GAINING ACCESS to various items/content/builds (without making an insane investment of time or being blessed by RNG), due to the game's design/mechanics, as something that might define us as "hardcore players". A game that unapologetically presents itself as just such a title, designed in such a way that there will be "winners" and "losers", might just be a "hardcore game". (I don't want this to turn into drivel over the definition of "hardcore", I'm just trying to illustrate that people's experiences in the past absolutely color their interpretation of the present, and expectations for the future.)
Last edited by Sinnesteuer on Jan 24, 2014, 2:57:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info