The key to understanding PoE may be that is it not made for the same players as Diablo 2

"
Completed 5 ChallengesKenzorz wrote:
Well maaaaybe if GGG stopped shoving D2 references down our throat then yeah I agree, this is not made for the D2 audience.

I haven't even played D2 but I've read about and it seems pretty much everything in this game seems to be a D2 reference, subtle or not.

Hang on. You're accusing them of making references to a game you've never played?

And...you don't feel even slightly silly for that?

'My god, this movie keeps making references to that other movie that I haven't seen.'

Really? Wow.

For your information, there are *no* overt Diablo 2 'references' in Path of Exile. You could say that Merveil is a 'reference' to Andariel but 'big female boss at the end of the first act' is hardly strong enough to call a reference.

I definitely consider Brutus an homage to the Butcher, but that was Diablo 1.

There's also a Diablo 1 reference via a unique item (Veil of the Night), but there's also a My Little Pony reference via a unique item, and a Games of Thrones one and a Muhammad Ali one...

I think you're confusing 'reference' for 'similar element'. In which case yes, PoE has similar elements to Diablo 2. They're both ARPGs. Go figure.
"Exploiting people's greed is allowed in Wraeclast, and not against the ToU." -- ionface

Neither leading nor led
Mine is the desire for the differently equal.
Last edited by CharanJaydemyr on January 24, 2014 11:36 PM
"
Spoiler
"
Completed 5 ChallengesKenzorz wrote:
Well maaaaybe if GGG stopped shoving D2 references down our throat then yeah I agree, this is not made for the D2 audience.

I haven't even played D2 but I've read about and it seems pretty much everything in this game seems to be a D2 reference, subtle or not.

Hang on. You're accusing them of making references to a game you've never played?

And...you don't feel even slightly silly for that?

'My god, this movie keeps making references to that other movie that I haven't seen.'

Really? Wow.

For your information, there are *no* overt Diablo 2 'references' in Path of Exile. You could say that Merveil is a 'reference' to Andariel but 'big female boss at the end of the first act' is hardly strong enough to call a reference.

I definitely consider Brutus an homage to the Butcher, but that was Diablo 1.

There's also a Diablo 1 reference via a unique item (Veil of the Night), but there's also a My Little Pony reference via a unique item, and a Games of Thrones one and a Muhammad Ali one...

I think you're confusing 'reference' for 'similar element'. In which case yes, PoE has similar elements to Diablo 2. They're both ARPGs. Go figure.

Spoiler
lolcatsdotcomnapkin
Bye
Last edited by BerMalBerIst1_AKA_GrammerPolise on January 24, 2014 11:45 PM
"
"
I'm a full time career mechanic with a wife, play maybe 2 hours a day during the week, a lot on Saturdays, and very little on Sundays. Most of the people i associate with in game are in the same boat. How did I/we get 6Ls and fully geared characters? I'm certain it's not by spending all my free time whining on the forums.

I've always been a big fan of your posts, and I'm glad to see they're from a person who clearly has their priorities straight. Rock the fuck on.

And... how long have you been playing with this schedule? 6 months? A year? Im sure its not a month or two. Yeah. Thats how you did it. Dont you think.... for someone who you know... plays other games/does other shit in their spare time... they have a chance at that? Nope. When I played diablo 2 it was never a question of wow am I ever going to get xyz. I knew if I farmed and had fun I would get the items/drops necessary to get whatever I wanted because I knew how to farm. It didnt take me a year either. Im talking a week or two of the same schedule you are talking about and I was getting bang for my buck (time).

You are saying its the same in poe? [Removed by Admin]
Last edited by Connor_GGG on January 24, 2014 11:46 PM
"
ARealJerk wrote:

You are saying its the same in poe? [Removed by Admin]

Might wanna be careful with that, just sayin

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/769993/page/1
Bye
Last edited by Connor_GGG on January 24, 2014 11:47 PM
Ok so given the opportunity to prove or disprove - we've chosen the "I'd rather not have any evidence at all" route.

Well alrighty then. =(

Lame.
* GGG mods need to work to be more fair and equitable in the way they handle their forum moderation.
* There is a forum "hit list" if you are on that list, you will be probated no matter what.
* The only truly unbalanced GGG item right now is their forum moderation.
"

For me, the most notable reference was the bottom floor of Lunaris (Durance of Hatred, and Mephisto's room).

But I'm fine with that. As you said, it's not really "in your face" or obnoxious.
Dual Flame Totem build for Scion: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/827006 (updated for 1.2.x)
"
Isbox1 wrote:
Ok so given the opportunity to prove or disprove - we've chosen the "I'd rather not have any evidence at all" route.

Well alrighty then. =(

Lame.

Ofc, the choice of the ignorantus is always to not seek the answer, and thus never find out just how wrong one is. It is easier to talk bullshit when you don't know better.

Hahaha, couldn't help. It was just so hilarious to have it revealed so openly for once.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Weak argument. Most games are aimed at children, yet ALL of them were created by ADULTS.
"
DIRTYLEROY wrote:
Weak argument. Most games are aimed at children, yet ALL of them were created by ADULTS.

And your point is?
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
I'm not a child

Re-read your OP and realize the oxymoron contained within. I played D2 as a kid and loved it. Now, even though I've had my fair share of bitches about PoE, it is still a game that appeals to me.
Last edited by DIRTYLEROY on January 25, 2014 1:45 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info