Damage Conversion and Status Ailments

I assume that when damage is converted normally, status ailments associated with the originating damage type are dropped and any associated with the new damage type are applied. What I'm not sure about is particular cases, such as using Added Lightning Damage as a support gem for any active skill gem being used in Voltaxic Rift.

Voltaxic Rift converts 100% of lightning damage to chaos damage but also applies a 10% chance to shock and allows chaos damage to shock. I think this means any hit with chaos damage using this bow has a base 10% chance to shock regardless of critical strike status, and of course a 5% chance to critically strike and therefor shock. As far as I know, Added Lightning Damage would increase any supported skill gem that uses Voltaxic Rift, but what I don't understand is how quality applies.

Each percentage-point of quality on Added Lightning Damage increases shock duration by 1% to a maximum of 20% increased shock duration. I assume this applies normally. It's the other part of Added Lightning Damage's quality bonus that confuses me: +0.5% chance to shock the enemy hit with lightning damage per 1% quality bonus. Does this 0%-10% shock chance bonus apply to attacks dealing chaos damage made with Voltaxic Rift? Or is this function dropped because the target was hit with chaos damage instead of lightning damage? Is the target hit with lightning damage which is then converted to chaos damage, or is the damage converted before the hit?
The damage would be converted before the hit, as all converted damage is. For example Added Fire Damage gem. Adds x% of Phys damage as Fire Damage. Looking at the tooltip of the supported skill, you can see xx-xx Fire Damage. It is converted on cast and what hits the mob is the converted element/chaos.
IGN : Ericaa
My Store! /108685
My Rain of Arrows Evasion build guide! https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/791798
Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/samfishersam
"
laiel wrote:
Does this 0%-10% shock chance bonus apply to attacks dealing chaos damage made with Voltaxic Rift? Or is this function dropped because the target was hit with chaos damage instead of lightning damage? Is the target hit with lightning damage which is then converted to chaos damage, or is the damage converted before the hit?

That particular mod doesn't work, it specifies 'chance to shock with lightning damage' and you did no lightning damage. Static blows passive will work, however, it says just 'chance to shock'.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Thanks! I wasn't sure how literally to interpret the wording on that, and I'm trying to consider how to maximize chaos damage and which gems and items to use in supporting Poison Arrow.
"
raics wrote:
"
laiel wrote:
Does this 0%-10% shock chance bonus apply to attacks dealing chaos damage made with Voltaxic Rift? Or is this function dropped because the target was hit with chaos damage instead of lightning damage? Is the target hit with lightning damage which is then converted to chaos damage, or is the damage converted before the hit?

That particular mod doesn't work, it specifies 'chance to shock with lightning damage' and you did no lightning damage. Static blows passive will work, however, it says just 'chance to shock'.

I don't think that's correct. I mean, it's phrased like you say, but there's been a clarficiation by the mods it does work.
[3.22] 💀The Grim Reaper💀 - Hexblast Poison Mines Assassin
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3347191

[3.22] ❄️⚡CantripN's Hadoken! - Lightning Conduit / Crackling Lance / Arc Permafreeze⚡❄️
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3229590
"
CantripN wrote:
I don't think that's correct. I mean, it's phrased like you say, but there's been a clarficiation by the mods it does work.

Ah, if devs confirmed it, then it works, no matter what it says. I've only seen some discussion about it not working.

Now, that I think why is it working, it might be related to something I read once about 'every damage type triggering shock', it just lasts 0ms if you did no lightning damage. Because of that, the game is probably unable to differentiate between hits that didn't do lightning damage and those that did, so the description on added lightning makes no sense. Voltaxic description should in that case be something like 'chaos damage adds to shock duration' but it would be too confusing.

They should probably change that description on added lightning gem, though.

I guess I'm back to where I started. It'd be awesome if this does work, but can anyone point to where a clarification was made? I checked the entire "Added Lightning Damage" Feedback thread and didn't see it.
"
laiel wrote:
I guess I'm back to where I started. It'd be awesome if this does work, but can anyone point to where a clarification was made? I checked the entire "Added Lightning Damage" Feedback thread and didn't see it.

If he says devs confirmed it then your question is answered. Besides, it seems possible, devs are sometimes lazy and wording on skills and items is misleading at least as often.

I'd check LA thread if I were you, or unique thread around the time voltaxic was implemented, the answer is much more likely to be found there.

"
laiel wrote:
It's the other part of Added Lightning Damage's quality bonus that confuses me: +0.5% chance to shock the enemy hit with lightning damage per 1% quality bonus.
If you look at an actual gem, you'll see that that is not what added lightning damage's quality bonus says. It just says "Chance to Shock", nothing about specifically with lightning damage.
All chance to [elemental status] stats used to specify "with X damage" as a reminder to people that you needed to deal damage of the correct element to be able to cause the ailment. That was specifically changed when these kind of mods were introduced because it was no longer (necessarily) true.

When ALD said "with lightning damage" It was because it was impossible to shock without lightning damage. Voltaxic Rift made that no longer the case, and so it was changed to what the gem now says: "Chance to Shock" with no qualifier about damage type.
Thanks, Mark! I'd been going by the gamepedia wiki, rather than digging for quality gems in-game. (I still haven't beaten Merciless with a character yet, though I've gotten two characters there, and I think I have three gemcutters' prisms so far.) Now I can rest easy and get back to planning. ^*^

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info