World, Enemies and Allies stops responding

To PoE customer support
"
Drakier wrote:
Who did you send the WinMTR to?

Surely you can see this isn't a problem with his connection, and that even if it was, it's not the only problem going on here? The game is supposed to disconnect you after 6 seconds of non response from the server. There are times when that isn't happening and people are just wondering around in non responsive instances for minutes or until they log out. That's a server side problem regardless of what is going on with this guy's internet.
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
Surely you can see this isn't a problem with his connection, and that even if it was, it's not the only problem going on here? The game is supposed to disconnect you after 6 seconds of non response from the server. There are times when that isn't happening and people are just wondering around in non responsive instances for minutes or until they log out. That's a server side problem regardless of what is going on with this guy's internet.

That's not completely accurate. From the server's perspective, you ARE disconnected. The problem in these instances is that the CLIENT cannot see that it became disconnected because the logic for client disconnection isn't exactly the same as the server disconnection.

If you were grouped with anyone else at these times, they will see you become disconnected from the server and nothing more. From YOUR perspective, everything just stops responding and you can move around but not interact with anything. This can sometimes lead to a client disconnection as well, but can also lead to you just becoming "stuck" in this state until you manually log out and back in again. If this is the case, this is CLEARLY an issue with a disconnection on the client side. The ONLY times I've seen this happen is when a disconnection happened on the client's PC... either due to a network disconnection, an IP address change, an ISP disconnection, or something else which causes a "disconnected" state on the medium.

This is not a server issue. I'm fairly certain this issue lies completely on the ISP/User PC side of the connection. The question is, can we determine where the problem is happening? In order to do that, we need more data, and we need data that captures these disconnections.

So no... I can't see that it isn't a problem with his connection because I'm fairly certain that it IS a problem with his connection.
"
Drakier wrote:
"
MonstaMunch wrote:

That's not completely accurate. From the server's perspective, you ARE disconnected.

This isn't accurate so the rest of your post doesn't make sense. From the server's perspective you obviously aren't disconnected, because if it thought you were it would disconnect you after 6 seconds or so, that's what its supposed to do and that's what it does most of the time. The fact it lets you wonder around in a non responsive instance indefinitely without disconnecting you, and that you still take damage serverside during that time means it clearly has no idea that the connection has been lost or that packets are missing.

Whether or not there is a problem with this guy's internet is irrelevant because the server is supposed to disconnect within seconds of not receiving a response. He's just asking for whatever is causing it not to disconnect to be fixed. Seems reasonable, no?

A guess would be that the server is still receiving enough info to think he's there and to not disconnect him, but not enough info to actually produce an accurate simulation of what the client is doing due to packet loss. If that's the case then the auto dc mechanic needs to take that into account rather than just looking for a total disconnect.

Last edited by MonstaMunch on Jul 22, 2014, 3:07:28 PM
I think you might be confusing things here monsta, if the client is DC'd from the server the client will normally boot you to the log in screen after the 6 seconds, if there is something up with the PC it can allow you to derp around longer than normal.

It's not like the server can send you something to say you lost the connection because you are not connected.
You are relying on the client to recognize the DC and something happening on the PC can prolong how long you are running about before it boots you..
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Jul 22, 2014, 3:37:25 PM
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
I think you might be confusing things here monsta, if the client is DC'd from the server the client will normally boot you to the log in screen after the 6 seconds, if there is something up with the PC it can allow you to derp around longer than normal.

It's not like the server can send you something to say you lost the connection because you are not connected.
You are relying on the client to recognize the DC and something happening on the PC can prolong how long you are running about before it boots you..

What am I confusing? What could be up with a PC that would allow you to walk around in a non responsive instance indefinitely even when the server thinks you died minutes ago?

If the server doesn't get a response from you for 6 seconds, then it's supposed to dc you. There are cases where that isn't happening. What's the confusion?

As I said, the most logical explanation is that it actually is getting a response, at least enough of one to not disconnect the user, but not enough to know what the user is doing.
Last edited by MonstaMunch on Jul 22, 2014, 3:44:54 PM
Playing the game, you get a flat line monsters not moving.
Both you and the server start a timer to DC
Server takes the 6 seconds and logs you out of the server
On the client the connection has died...you can still move around for up to 6 seconds normal before the client should put you on the login screen...something is causing that timer not to be initiated or run slowly(heavy load on the CPU like AV running)

There is nothing here that is outside what is described here...you seem to want to insist the server would some how magically log you out client side if the connection is lost...that's just not going to happen as you have lost the connection and the server cant tell you anything you need to wait till the client recognises it and puts you to the log in screen and it's a PC problem if ti's taking longer than 6 seconds
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Jul 22, 2014, 4:17:05 PM
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
Playing the game, you get a flat line monsters not moving.
Both you and the server start a timer to DC
Server takes the 6 seconds and logs you out of the server
On the client the connection has died...you can still move around for up to 6 seconds normal before the client should put you on the login screen...something is causing that timer not to be initiated or run slowly(heavy load on the CPU like AV running)

There is nothing here that is outside what is described here...you seem to want to insist the server would some how magically log you out client side if the connection is lost...that's just not going to happen as you have lost the connection and the server cant tell you anything you need to wait till the client recognises it and puts you to the log in screen and it's a PC problem if ti's taking longer than 6 seconds

This is correct and what I was saying.

If you take this into the context of what I said and re-read what I said, it should make more sense as to why I said what I said.

If a CLIENT becomes disconnected, it doesn't necessarily go to the login screen. Doesn't mean you're still actually IN the game on the server-side... and the majority of times, this happens on a CLIENT PC because of loss of connection.
I can assure you guys that it's definitely not my internet connection, more something like the connection between the map instances.

Like I mentioned, it ONLY happens when I do maps, so something is disconnecting from the map server addresses. As you mentioned it does eventually kick me to the login screen, but I most definitely still take damage from monsters as I have lost a number of toons in this manner. I have never experienced this outside of maps, so the problem must lie there.

What is causing this? That is the the biggest question. I ran winMTR on all the addresses while playing and while it the problem happened, and customer service assured me my connection is fine with no packet loss shown. I have opened the ports on my modem to all the servers and disabled the modem firewall. Did all of this but still it happens.

I love this game so much, but I wish I could get this sorted as maps are the obvious thing we want to get into.

Thanks again for all he comments and suggestions, just wish we could get to the bottom of this.
Last edited by Reavs on Jul 22, 2014, 7:19:03 PM
Did you run any traces to the instance server itself while playing?

IE: Go into an instance. As soon as you get in the instance, open the Client.txt file in the Logs folder, scroll to the bottom and find the last line that says "Connecting to instance server at <address>:6112". That address should be what you should start the trace to. Let it run the whole time you play through that instance. If you switch instances, restart the trace to the NEW address (repeating the process).

Eventually, when you become disconnected, take that trace and copy/paste it to here so we can check it.

As for the taking damage.. that is correct.. to a point. When your connection is "dropped", you remain in-game for 6 seconds on the server. This is the time when creatures can still do damage to you. After 6 seconds, you will become disconnected from the server, although the Client might still not show you as disconnected. But if you had the trace running at this time to the appropriate server, it should show up in there.

Good luck.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info