Would getting better internet speed help me?

At the moment I have 1.3 Mbps download speed and .67 Mbps upload speed. With this, my ping is usually at 50 ms, with constant spikes to 100 ms every few seconds, and up to 1000 ms a few times every minute. It's kind of hardcore but its manageable spamming /oos through a macro literally every 2-3 seconds.

I've been thinking in improving my internet speed for the sole purpose of more comfortable play time in PoE, but I know next to nothing when it comes to these things, so maybe someone can answer my question: would doing this help my problem, or would it be for nothing? Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to respond.

Also, I live in Florida, if that helps somehow.
I'd say you should shoot for at least 5 MB download.

Sometimes my internet slows down because they're garbage and have a monopoly on internet around here. When it slows down to like 3 MB or less it's painful to play.
IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh
Thanks man, I'll see if I can upgrade to 10 Mbps. I hope that helps, pressing F3 every 3-4 seconds is getting ridiculous.
There are many ways for getting the internet speed better like you can check your internet speed through online apps like speedtestfree.com or many more and contact with your internet service provider for more internet speed.
getting a faster internet connection isn't nessesary as the amount of traffic caused by poe isn't that high (some kByte/second).

getting a more reliable internet is more important. if you have a wireless connection to your router try to exchange it by a cable connection.

if you get lag spikes try to find out the reason behind it, sometimes it's just weird little things like your computers network card having a different speed than your router's network interface, try to update them to the same speed (usually gigabyte interface with 1000 mByte/s) and make sure your router supports that speed.

if you have other people on your network who use your internet connection make sure your traffic has priority over theirs by setting up traffic shaping in your router, you get the ports to priorize from watching your gaming computers network connections tothe poe servers).

you can identify the source of lag spikes using the tools (like winMTR) mentioned in the help advisory posts made sticky in the bugs forum section.

Cronus is right. Online games don't usually send and receive large amounts of data during gameplay. It only sends small details about where your character is at, if you hit something, etc. I suggest testing your internet line first. Turn off any programs that's using your internet connection (windows update if necessary), use a lan connection instead of wireless, and maybe tuning off your routers wireless connection if you're already on lan, update your drivers, etc.

I'm on a 3mbps down and 1mbs connection up and I my game client behaves the same as yours do.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info