Whispers of Doom

"
anubite wrote:

If you want to use sex curses, spend points and do it.
tru story
lol what a typo
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
I've made a million characters and used Whispers of Doom on a quarter of them. It is not worth taking solo. It is something a support character takes to buff a party. Full stop.

When it comes to increasing your offense, it does so at an astonishingly low rate. Trash monsters disintegrate immediately to a soft breeze, so the extra curse only really matters against a boss. Which will have significant curse resistance. That only people who read patch notes religiously know about. Hooray for obtusedness.

And of course whenever you bump into a curse immune guy, you have an utterly castrated character.

Offensively and defensively, you're much better off with a chain of +6% spell damage or energy shield. What you sacrifice by spending the 10 or so points it takes to get Whispers of Doom is much more than just 10 skill points, it's the opportunity cost that could have been used unlocking more non-wand damage and life/es, as well as other Keystones. +15% more damage is a terrible return for walking so far into a dead end that goes no where.
"
I've made a million characters and used Whispers of Doom on a quarter of them. It is not worth taking solo. It is something a support character takes to buff a party. Full stop.

When it comes to increasing your offense, it does so at an astonishingly low rate. Trash monsters disintegrate immediately to a soft breeze, so the extra curse only really matters against a boss. Which will have significant curse resistance. That only people who read patch notes religiously know about. Hooray for obtusedness.

And of course whenever you bump into a curse immune guy, you have an utterly castrated character.

Offensively and defensively, you're much better off with a chain of +6% spell damage or energy shield. What you sacrifice by spending the 10 or so points it takes to get Whispers of Doom is much more than just 10 skill points, it's the opportunity cost that could have been used unlocking more non-wand damage and life/es, as well as other Keystones. +15% more damage is a terrible return for walking so far into a dead end that goes no where.

Sums it up pretty well

Decent solo
Party value is hit or miss
Boss shrug curses off <- Is huge
CURSE IMMUNE MOBS HERPY DERP <- Is huge

Curses aren't all the powerful and patches have made them underused save debilitating ones, enfeeble/vulnerability. Elemental curses are all pretty bad, with elemental weakness serving some purpose beyond niche.

It's better to prioritize other nodes that aren't so costly.
"Nope, it is GGG's game/they choose to let you play/can at any moment prohibit you from playing" ~ Mazul
"GGG definitely has the power to 'tell' me how to play it.

In the end, the only real choice I, you, we have is, is whether we play or not at all." ~ CharanJaydemyr
I would change it to:

Hex Master changed to "Enemies can have 1 additional curse."
Curse Cast Speed nodes replaced with Increased Curse Duration nodes.
Whispers of Doom changed to "Enemies are no longer immune to your curses."
A major issue is lack of curses worth stacking together. The only ones that really have an effect beyond additive are the Elemental Weakness curses and TChains+Enfeeble.

There isn't a strong reason to use multiple curses.

IMO remove curse immune, remove curse resistances, give bosses ways to cleanse curses (so that infinite duration curses aren't borked against them).
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
Two quick questions pertaining to this keystone.

1) Will taking WoD allow spectres to stack their curses or does the keystone apply only to the player character itself?

2) Will WoD allow me to layer a second curse on top of a curse cast by a spectre, or do both curses have to be cast by the player character to stack?
"Chris wrote:
The "nerfs" in this patch are in response to the rest of the rebalance and so that many builds are simultaneously viable. You can't complain that there are only seven good builds and then complain when we balancing the power level :P
"
1) Will taking WoD allow spectres to stack their curses or does the keystone apply only to the player character itself?

No, just curses you apply yourself. They're still capped to only one and will overwrite whatever's on the monster already.

"
2) Will WoD allow me to layer a second curse on top of a curse cast by a spectre, or do both curses have to be cast by the player character to stack?

Yes.

It increases the number of curses a monster can receive from you. If you have WoD, and something else put one curse on the guy, you can add a curse of your own on top of theirs.

---

This is all particularly aggravating in party play with walruses. Goobers overwriting your WoD is the most annoying.
Last edited by LimitedRooster on Jan 30, 2014, 6:29:19 PM
"
"

No, just curses you apply yourself. They're still capped to only one and will overwrite whatever's on the monster already.

"

Yes.

It increases the number of curses a monster can receive from you. If you have WoD, and something else put one curse on the guy, you can add a curse of your own on top of theirs.

---

This is all particularly aggravating in party play with walruses. Goobers overwriting your WoD is the most annoying.

Thanks much for the response!
"Chris wrote:
The "nerfs" in this patch are in response to the rest of the rebalance and so that many builds are simultaneously viable. You can't complain that there are only seven good builds and then complain when we balancing the power level :P
WoD is an obscenely powerful keystone; its placement and related uniques (Doedre's Damning and Windscream) make it a moot investment most of the time. If you are ever considering taking +1 curse (almost as much cheese as perma-freeze), taking one of the above uniques is almost always more worth while.

Personally, though, I'd like to see the whole curse mechanic reworked like traps and totems recently received. I rather dislike the white/blue/rare/unique segregation of effectiveness, and some node clusters to mitigate that would be welcome, as well as some (higher than average effect per point) curse-specific nodes (that are otherwise covered elsewhere by generic nodes) for those who want to spec into curses. Particularly cast speed for a "hex blade" style dual curse melee build, who otherwise does not invest in cast speed, and a new notable/keystone(??)--I like Anubite's always apply an additional curse, massive reduction to duration; it would fit perfectly for a duelist/scion area build that can focus on duration.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info