Theorycraft: 8+ Aura, Low-Life DOMINATRIX

Hi all, I love Dominating Blow and low life so I tried to combine the 2 to create a fun, very safe, and high DPS build.

THIS IS ALL THEORYCRAFT - subject to change and I am still working on the details before I respec my Scion and start this build. Please note: gear is expensive, which is the one huge downside of this build.

I am not that experienced with minion builds so please point out if think there are any conflicts in the build. Thank you!

I got this idea from playing Dominating Blow and finding how easy it was to do very hard maps while taking almost zero damage, and also from coming across this build with 10 auras: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/630299/page/1. Credits also to LeMing's Witch Dominatrix build which inspired me towards Dominating Blow: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/356123/page/1

I believe there are 2 ways to play Dominating Blow:
i) first way is to gain as many minions as you can to snowball the map and act as a meat shields with strong DPS against bosses
ii) 2nd way is the same as the first but ALSO focuses on buffing your minions and having them do as much damage as possible - this is what I have tried to achieve with this build. This build will easily achieve 8 auras, and I will most likely run with 10 auras.

Idea:
- Create a very safe, fun build, that easily clears map
- Use Dominating Blow to gain hordes of minions
- Spec defensively (but not too much, as minions are my ultimate shield =) )
- Use auras and Blood Rage for your own DPS and enhanced survivability
- Use auras to buff your minions
- Never worry about mana
- Be a great mapping partner by providing many auras
- Have fun!

Key Gear:
- Soul Taker, Alpha Howl's, Shav's, Prism Guardian

Tree:
Background: good amount of ES and resistances, increased skill duration to make minions last long combined with Increased Duration gem, minion damage, aura reservation and aura buffs

http://goo.gl/QeZJA8

I have not specc'd into minion life, but that is also a possibility, but for now I want to focus on minion damage. Another possible node to take is Minion Instability.

Gear and Gems:
- Shavs: Coloring of Shav's will take a lot of chromatics. Blood Rage provides the attack speed so Faster Attacks not really necessary
4R1G1B: Dominating Blow -> Increased Duration/Melee Physical Damage -> Melee Splash -> Multistrike -> Increased Minion Damage -> Culling Strike
- Soul Taker: Reduced Mana + 60% Aura + 40% Aura
- Alpha Howl (+2 to Aura gems, 8% Reduced Mana Reserved): Reduced Mana + 60% Aura + 60% Aura + 40% Aura
- Prism Guardian (+1 to Aura gems, Blood Magic and 25% Reduced Mana Reserved): 60% Auras x3
- Boots: Reduced Mana + Blood Magic + Clarity + 60% Aura
- Gloves: with Blood Rage in one of these sockets, only 3 sockets available. I plan to take: Leap Slam + either: i) CWDT + Frostwall, or ii) Temporal Chains/Enfeeble + Increased Duration/Faster Casting
- Rings: possibilities: good rares with +physical damage / Lori's Lantern / Dream Frags (although freeze should not be a danger with minions / Shavronne's Revelation for energy shield regen (we do not need mana regen because of i) Soul Taker, ii) Blood Rage refreshes on kill, iii) movement speed like Leap Slam is an attack and so is affected by Soul Taker
- Belt: good rare with +ES / Meginord's Girdle
- Amulet: good rare with +physical damage / Sidhebreath

Auras:

60% Auras: (run all these)
- Discipline
- Hatred
- Haste
- Anger
- Wrath
- Determination
- Grace

40% Auras: (run 2 of these, 2 sockets available - so ideally choose Red socket + Blue socket for max efficiency)
- Red socket: Vitality, or Purity of Fire
- Blue socket: Purity of Elements, or Purity of Lightning
- Green socket: Purity of Ice

Fixed Mana Reserve: (run a leveled Clarity, but not necessary as mana is not a problem with this build)

Flasks:
- Flasks with "Animation" mod are a possibility

Bandit Rewards:
- Kill All
- Kill All
- Kill All

Please note this is still work in progress! Thank you!

Notes:
- GGG Dev comment Nov. 12th '13: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/609470
Spoiler
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Battosai03 wrote:
1. Exactly what auras effect minions?
All of them. Monsters, including minions, do have both mana and armour in general.

"
Battosai03 wrote:
2. What support gems affect auras?
Increased area will increase the area of an aura, concentrated effect will reduce it, but since an aura doesn't deal damage, there will be no benefit to do so.
Auras don't deal damage, so cannot benefit from added lightning damage or similar supports.

"
Battosai03 wrote:
3. What is the max amount of aruas you can use and which ways can you reduce the reserved mana?
There is no theoretical maximum. Anything that reduces mana reservations (not mana costs - auras don't have those) will reduce them (all "reduced" modifiers apply additively. The Mortal Conviction notable grants less mana reservation, which stacks multiplicatively with the reduced multipliers. The Reduced Mana support gem has a mana multiplier of less than 100%, which reduces the base reservation of the skill before any of those apply. There are no caps on reduced reservation.

"
Battosai03 wrote:
4. What support gems effect minions?
Any support that's on a minion gem will have it's stats applied as part of the minion's base stats, effectively supporting all skills used by the minion. So a minion which uses attacks can benefit from faster attacks, and one that casts spells can benefit from faster casting. Almost all supports can apply to at least some minions in this way (Raise Spectre and Dominating Blow accept a much wider range of support gems since they can make any monster your minion, where something like Raise Zombie can only do melee attacks). Any support applying to gem will apply it's mana multiplier to the cost of creating the minion, regardless of whether the minion you're summoning will get any benefit from it - so linking GMP to spectres and then raising things that don't use projectiles is suboptimal.
Minions are separate entities with their own life and mana, and will leech /life gain for themselves, not you.

"
Battosai03 wrote:
5. Regarding minions and passive skill tree boosts, from poking around I realized that aside from minion specific nodes minions are NOT affected by passive boosts in the skill tree.
Correct. Minions are not you. They haven't assigned points into the passive tree to get bonuses - you have. If you get a passive skill that increases your fire damage, then your fire damage is increased. Your minion's fire damage is entirely separate and unaffected. No passive skill can apply to minions except those that explicitly sayt hey have an effect on minions.

"
Battosai03 wrote:
6. In regards to minion instability, is hp of the minion the only factor that decides the dmg. While I understand that increased fire dmg etc. from your skill tree won't work what if you have support gems on your minion like increased dmg and added fire/lightning dmg? Will those also stack with minion instability?
Any relevant increases to damage that the minion has will increase the damage it deals when it explodes. It's life supplies the base damage, and all it's damage increases apply to that.

"
Battosai03 wrote:
7. Lastly what kind of spectres do most people use?
That's not a question I can answer.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Jan 12, 2014, 4:17:31 PM
Planning to incorporate a tanky Animate Guardian and equipping him with Leer Cast to help buff all the other dominated minions.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Jan 15, 2014, 10:42:55 PM
Update on this. I respecced a high level Witch into this build. I decided to grab both minion life and minion damage nodes. Combined with a 20/20 Minion Damage gem linked in Dominating Blow - tooltip increase of about 220% to minion damage. I then ran with all auras except determination and Hatred.

Minions were doing INSANE damage and a group of 20 -30 was enough to easily take down Temple Piety and Residence Dominus. They were surprisingly tanky as well from the minion life nodes and my auras.

I really wish I could get more minions around 50+ however the main problem was that my minions were killing the enemy mobs before I could click on them! My damage is low as well, but that didn't matter once I had 3 minions on my side.

Main problem I had was that my survivability is a bit low so the early stage to gain minions is risky, but once you get 10 you start snowballing the map. I just afk at the boss and let my 20+ minions do the job.

I plan to see what new minion supports come out in the next patch.

I'm also thinking of splitting this into 2 separate builds. One focused on aura support and one focused on Dominating the minions. I will run this with a friend. The idea is to get as many minions as possible, buff them A LOT, and let them do the work of killing bosses. Having 2 separate builds will take a lot of the load off gear cost (soul Taker would not be required) and tree nodes.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Jan 20, 2014, 9:49:20 AM
I run something very close to this, have been for months
current gear and gem set up

i dont use prism guardian because it seems to make you to squishy

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAA5YGSRCXEZYTbBcvGYoabBqPHNwdFB2qHb4kiySwJ-0o-iqYL287KDyOPQ8_J0NjRARGcUrITDVN2E99UWBV1lfJWPVZbVnzX5hgQ2TnZp5qrG49b55wfXC7cU1yqXy7fNl99X_GgFaApILHguSDCYVghtGIQIqvjHaPRpARkDOTJ5rPm6GbtZ2uncSePKaspwiqxKyqtAy3MbiTvry_l8AawzrE9sk9ykrMvNDQ0_vZC9kT3rDhiOOC5wvquuvu8XbyHvPd9tr3wffX-oD60vsJ_kk=
IGN: TapYourIt
Last edited by TheGoblinShaman on May 14, 2014, 7:54:13 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info