Performance Questions

Hello everyone! First off, I want to say that this game is probably the most interesting of its genre and I'm happy to be playing it! It's in its infancy and I know I should expect some difficulties as the kinks are being worked. I'm wondering if there's been an explanation about WHY some of these issues are happening. Well, one in particular. I'm asking because if there's anything I can do on my side to help alleviate these issues, I want to do them.

First off, I'll say I have a pretty old laptop with an integrated graphics card. I didn't expect this game to run in the first place, but runs pretty smoothly.....sometimes.

The issue I've come across not only for myself but for others is the sudden lag spikes that persist until the game is shut off, and in some cases, do not go away after logging back in. I'll notice while simply running around an instance without any creatures around that I'll suddenly start stuttering across the map and have to close out in order to see any sort of relief. I also notice that my resources being used is steadily increasing, even after using the garbage collecting suffixes on my shortcut. Why is that? What can I do to minimize my CPU usage?

Any other tips to help improve overall framerate? I've tried using a VPN (Hamachi) to connect. Is it as simple as turning it on, then connecting to the game? I've also tried, as stated before, the garbage collection suffixes. This does help to a degree. Finally, all of my settings are at their lowest and the game is running in Windowed mode. Even then I run into these crippling lag spikes.
Last edited by TheDiceofLiars on Jan 26, 2013, 12:27:31 AM
Hey

Please post your system specs so we can see what your laptop is working with.
From there we'll have plenty of suggestions to throw your way: uparking cpu cores, running something like process lasso, etc. but we gotta know your specs.
Last edited by KallinK on Jan 26, 2013, 3:51:38 AM
Random thing to try: if you're running in window mode, make sure you don't have a link to a passive tree (a template from the POE website) in the background... noticed that sometimes it causes my browser AND game to screen hitch dramatically.
Let's see if I can get everything we need:

AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 2.0 GHz (Dinosaur, I know)
NVIDIA GeForce 7150M/nForce 630M (Integrated, 128Mb, awful)
-Confirmed it does support SSE II
4 GB DDR2 RAM (Not bad, could be better)
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Let me know if there's anything else you need. I know it's pretty bottom tier of laptops, but I've had times where it runs smoothly at minimum settings.

As far as the skill tree in the background is concerned, I'll keep that in mind but I only look at that while at work or with the in-game tree.

You should never play games with integrated graphics.
Last edited by jesmondrules on Jan 26, 2013, 6:49:43 PM
Try to play in the normal full screen mode, might help.
/lookoutwegotaBAoverhere @ myself.

I know you're not supposed to, but alas, here I have been. Finances up until recently have needed allocation elsewhere. Regardless, I'm able to play and I am playing.

I did notice that moving the ShaderCache folder out of the Path of Exile directory increased my framerate. Either that or it's pure coincidence that I don't lad after I do that. It could be either (Though there is a copy of the ShaderCache contents already packaged into the ggpk file....)
Try meeting minimum system requirement, ok? Nobody can help you. Go to the path of exile faq and they say themselves integrated graphics WILL NOT RUN WELL. /end thread
'Well' is a matter of opinion. Based on my dinosaur, it does run 'well'.

Meets all the minimum specifications they identified.

But yeah, /end thread because you're going to keep posting until you get the last word. Or you won't post again just to spite me. Regardless, congratulations.

*slow clap*
Last edited by jesmondrules on Jan 28, 2013, 3:13:41 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info