Enlighten and the free-mason logo (now off topic - on the nature of mathematics)

I've moved this to offtopic, as its gone way off topic.

As for the argument on the nature of mathematics, I'm putting my money on the mathematical platonists. (As it has the coolest implications for game design).

everything you pointed out OP is true. except the Star of david is actually an older symbol that was used for witchcraft and pagan rituals. The Israelites didn't adapt it until Solomon started taking him wives from other cultures who practiced sorcery.
Spoiler

'An open mind is like a Fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded'.
You would be surprised how much pagan influence has infiltrated the Abrahamic religions.
'An open mind is like a Fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded'.
Since this is in OT now...
"
Real_Wolf wrote:
anubite, you are falling into the trap of equating mathematics with physical objects.

This is a legitimate fallacy, as explained in Ackbar's Book of Very Specific Traps.

Spoiler
Also, as with all things, mathematics is only absolutely true as far as we define it to be. Example: I throw a ball in the air, it travels a bit, and lands on the ground. The only truths we can absolutely observe about this experiment are that the ball left from here, went up a ways, traveled over there, and then went back down. We can even apply mathematics to define more exacting details about the ball's trajectory, but these are only absolutely true because they are constructs of our language--here, there, how far, the path it followed, etc. These observations are true, because they conform exactly to the meaning of the language that we devised to describe exactly what the ball did. Explore beyond those things to predict why, how, etc, and we can describe with reasonable accuracy, something that is an approximation of the truth. But the absolute truth, itself, lies in this big existential mess where there is always at least one variable more than we can define, absolutely.

My point? You cannot ignore language; the only fundamental fact is that language defines "true." The only reason mathematics, in a vacuum, is absolute, is because it is a self-affirming use of language.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
Real_Wolf wrote:

Another example is going onto a PC calculator, going square root of 4 - 2. This is mathematically 0, but a computer will show a very small amount because the base 10 numbers for the equation can't be stored accurately in base 2. This is an error in the conversion of base's though, not in the actual calculation itself.

A good calculator will show 0. Computers handle integers perfectly well, and sqrt(4) is an integer. It will only get swept up if you treat 4 as a floating point number.

"

That being said, does anyone know the proof of 1+1 = 2, cause its a god damn impossible proof

That's how 2 is defined.
IGN: SplitEpimorphism
"
Real_Wolf wrote:

That being said, does anyone know the proof of 1+1 = 2, cause its a god damn impossible proof

A formal proof for 1+1=2 can be found here.
You can also look at Peano logic for more fun.

Last edited by Qarl on Jan 9, 2014, 11:01:18 PM
"
Qarl wrote:
"
Real_Wolf wrote:

A formal proof for 1+1=2 can be found here.
You can also look at Peano logic for more fun.

What a great opportunity to point out how happy I am to not have to write my proofs in formal logic from PA. :)
<redacted>
Personal Item Filter(s):
https://www.pathofexile.com/item-filter/Rxpet8
Last edited by Censurri on Apr 13, 2021, 10:12:33 AM
Here is something fun to discuss. Is the 'equals' sign a *strict* identity claim? If it is, then 1+1=2 says the same thing as 64-62=2 says the same thing as 12/6=2 - reducing mathematics to an elaborate system of elucidations and tautologies. :)

"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
"
Wittgenstein wrote:
Here is something fun to discuss. Is the 'equals' sign a *strict* identity claim? If it is, then 1+1=2 says the same thing as 64-62=2 says the same thing as 12/6=2 - reducing mathematics to an elaborate system of elucidations and tautologies. :)

Yeah, all mathematical proofs are tautologies at the end of the day. Though, that doesn't mean they're trivial or that they don't illustrate deep concepts. :)
Last edited by syrioforel on Jan 10, 2014, 1:40:07 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info