Terry Pratchett Discworld fans thread

"
@Mark1: Had I known, I'd have recommended the Discworld: Ankh-Morpork boardgame. It's really fun, thematically strong and surprisingly clever. We've been playing a lot more recently, having gotten over the whole 'hey let's play one boardgame all day' phase of things.
I've played it a few times, one of my friends owns it. It is pretty good.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jan 7, 2014, 7:15:05 PM
*looks up what Discworld is
I'm reading them in publishing order or whatever, chronologically? LOVING THEM. I am on Reaper Man right now, Death is my favorite character. My favorite part of the books so far, I think (or maybe because it's most recent) was when....

Spoiler
Death brings his new golden hourglass to Albert and explains what it means and how he has Time now.

but of course I am not done with this book yet. Regardless, Pratchett is a delight to read, so clever.
I couldnt get my hands on Guards!Guards! so I bought Equal Rites and Pyramids.
Based on the map it should be ok to read these two next.
Started with Equal Rites and I must say I'm really enjoying it so far, better than teh 1st and the 2nd novel in the series. I hope that I finish it tonight ( plenty of time on my nightshift ^_^ )

Also my friend was interested in the series because he saw me reading these books and wanted me to borrow him one I liked. I borrowed him the "Reaper man" because it's my favorite so far.

What would you suggest to your friends if they ask you to land them one of the books to see what it is like, and they totally new to these kinda books and never read a Pratchett book before ?
Last edited by MegaTen_IV on Jan 12, 2014, 1:57:23 PM
Read all the 'core' books (including the Tiffany Aching ones - which are supposedly 'for younger readers', but still a blast to read) up to Making Money. I like them all - but among my favourites are The Fifth Elephant, Thud! and Making Money.
I gotta say, I like the newer ones generally better because the older ones tend to be heavy on parody (the story follows the jokes), while the newer ones also feature an engaging story (the jokes follow the story).

By the by, if it hasn't been said already: Hogfather, Going Postal and (I think!) The Colour of Magic have also been done as Live Action films (Wyrd Sisters and two or three others as animated ones). Going Postal is by far the best of those, in my opinion.

Favourite characters: Moist von Lipwig - Vimes - Susan. And Lu-Tze.
12/12/12 - the day Germany decided boys are not quite human.
"

What would you suggest to your friends if they ask you to land them one of the books to see what it is like, and they totally new to these kinda books and never read a Pratchett book before ?

Hm. Maybe start with Going Postal? It introduces a new main character (Moist von Lipwig) but generally happens in a well-established part of the multiverse.
All the better when the new reader gets to meet some background characters as main characters in other books later on.

I think Going Postal is very readable without any prior knowledge of the series.
Edit: And as noted above, it's also available as a two-part film.
12/12/12 - the day Germany decided boys are not quite human.
Last edited by Avireyn on Jan 13, 2014, 8:18:21 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info