Terry Pratchett Discworld fans thread

HI ALL.

SO HOW MANY OF US ARE PLAYING POE ? :-)

Which books have you read and which one is your favorite/least favorite and why.

Favorite characters etc. Discuss everything here :)

So far I have read

- Colours of Magic
- Light Fantastic
- Mort
- Eric
- The Reaper Man

And yesterday I bought the Night Watch which is the 26th book in the series.
Also have soul music and the Thief of Time but i didnt feel like I want to hurry reading them, because I heard that those two books arent that great at all.

My Favorite character is DEATH and obviously my favorite book is the Reaper Man and Mort is right after that. I didnt really liked the first two and I dont even know why...

I think there are maybe 2-3 that I haven't read. One of my favourite series of all time.

Don't read Night Watch yet! Its the 6th book in the Watch series, you have to start with Guards! Guards! at least, but I love the whole Watch arc to bits.

Soul Music is fantastic (Death is in it a bit), Thief of Time was okay. My favourites are:

- Interesting Times (Rincewind)
- Going Postal + Making Money
- Pyramids
- Moving Pictures
- The whole Night Watch/Vimes series is great, Feet of Clay or Night Watch probably my favourite from that arc
- The Wee Free Men
- Maskerade

Still love the others. Interesting Times and Going Postal are the only ones I have read 3+ times though. Really got me into fantasy when I was a bit younger.

Guide to reading order:
No longer works at GGG
Thanks for the awesome reading order guide! :-)

So far read:

The Colour of Magic
The Light Fantastic

Wyrd Sisters
Witches Abroad
I Shall Wear Midnight

Mort
Reaper Man
The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents

Guards! Guards!
Men at Arms
Feet of Clay
Night Watch
Thud!

Can't help myself but enjoy all main protagonists.
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Jan 7, 2014, 6:42:27 AM
I read all but the last ones. I enjoyed The Watch series the most. I also read "for younger readers" series :) Truckers, Diggers, Wings. Can't wait to read Rising Taxes, poor Lipwig makes me laugh so much :D
I AM MAD
ZAP!ZAP!ZAP! ME SOOO WIZZARD!
Then I guess I put Night Watch back in to my book shelf and have to visit the bookstore once again to buy something else.

Based on that reading guide I think I have a few choices :

1. Start with Guards!Guard!
2. Continue reading the Death novels
4. Continue with the mages novels with Ricewind and that tourist guy :)
3. Pyramids, since its in a universal position

So what would be the best choice here ?

p.s.: I was reading some trivia on the internet because I was curious why Death's sentences are always WITH CAPS LOCK and I found this :
Death's hollow, peculiar voice is represented in the books by unquoted small caps; since he is a skeleton, he has no vocal cords to speak with, and therefore the words enter the head with no involvement from the ears

My english is not so good to understand exactly what this means, but if I understand this correctly Death has no voice and when he is talking to you, he is sending telephaticly the things into your head or something like that ? :D
"
Then I guess I put Night Watch back in to my book shelf and have to visit the bookstore once again to buy something else.

Based on that reading guide I think I have a few choices :

1. Start with Guards!Guard!
2. Continue reading the Death novels
4. Continue with the mages novels with Ricewind and that tourist guy :)
3. Pyramids, since its in a universal position

So what would be the best choice here ?

p.s.: I was reading some trivia on the internet because I was curious why Death's sentences are always WITH CAPS LOCK and I found this :
Death's hollow, peculiar voice is represented in the books by unquoted small caps; since he is a skeleton, he has no vocal cords to speak with, and therefore the words enter the head with no involvement from the ears

My english is not so good to understand exactly what this means, but if I understand this correctly Death has no voice and when he is talking to you, he is sending telephaticly the things into your head or something like that ? :D

If you want to read about a new protagonist and some really funny ones too, I recommend reading Guards! Guards! If you already love the other ones to the death (*wink*), consider the other novels. :-)

As for Death's voice: Yes, he telepathically communicates in a sharp, mind-cutting way. Most people are irritated by it other then by their subsequent death.
Let's see, I count 27 books from Terry Pratchett (three of them non discworld) in my shelf. I think I have lent between two and four from friends, so I have read about 29 to 31 books.

My favorites of those are most all of the Tiffany Aching series (The Wee Free Man, A Hat Full of Stars, I Shall Wear Midnight, Wintersmith) and a few assorted ones like The Hogfather and Thief of Time.

Needless to say, my favorite character is Tiffany.
I've read all of them, along with all his non-discworld novels.
My favourite Discworld book is Going Postal, but it's very close - there's a lot of good books there. Favourite character I would have to say a tie between Moist Von Lipwig and Vimes.
If I would need to pin-down a character I love to read about, it would probably be Lord Vetinari. :P
"
Nightmare90 wrote:
If I would need to pin-down a character I love to read about, it would probably be Lord Vetinari. :P

If we are playing this game, mine is a toss up between Cohen and Leonard of Quirm.

This just makes me want to read Interesting Times again, I got so many funny looks from people on the bus when I would burst out laughing on the way to school.

@Charan, The Last Continent had some great stuff in it. The bit about Ridcully trying to explain clouds to someone who has never seen them before is one of my favourite Pratchett quotes.

I made a model of The Luggage for a school project once... I should see if I can dig up some pics of it

EDIT: Delivered

No longer works at GGG
Last edited by RoryC_GGG on Jan 7, 2014, 7:48:13 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info