Tempest Shield + Cybil's Paw - Spelldmg increase from block chance not applied

^
This happens due to snapshotting mechanics. When you cast Tempest Shield it works somewhat like an aura, in the sense that any modifiers applied in the time of the cast will be snapshotted into the effect, and no further changes after you have cast the skill/buff will apply. Because the damage increase is caused by the effect of Tempest Shield itself, the bonus comes AFTER the buff is cast, and won't affect the buff because of the said snapshotting. So yea, it's kind of a bug, like happens to summons and aura snapshotting. Currently, in your circunstances, there's no way to get around that.
"
This happens due to snapshotting mechanics. When you cast Tempest Shield it works somewhat like an aura, in the sense that any modifiers applied in the time of the cast will be snapshotted into the effect, and no further changes after you have cast the skill/buff will apply. Because the damage increase is caused by the effect of Tempest Shield itself, the bonus comes AFTER the buff is cast, and won't affect the buff because of the said snapshotting. So yea, it's kind of a bug, like happens to summons and aura snapshotting. Currently, in your circunstances, there's no way to get around that.

Looks like a reasonable explanation, in line with my observation that all skills have their damage increased after activating Tempest Shield, except for TS itself.

But when i remove my claw (Cybil's Paw) after TS is activated (TS is running), the damage of TS is lowered immediately according to the tooltip. So that indicates the problem is not related to snapshotting, but i have to admit i dont know much about snapshotting tactics.
Hope this problem will be fixed with the recently announced changes in 1.2.0. Can anyone confirm this?
Look like added fire damage ar3 not included in the tooltips even if mana cost is increased and a letter is shown
You ARE my Bitch of burden!
"Stay Alive exile! Or you'll be the next zombie someone raises off the beach." - Altnaharra
" Be Excellent To Each Other" -MikeP_GGG
"If you die to yourself are you still the victor? " - BEX_GGG
Working as intended. Re-read the description of Added Fire Damage, and then look at how much Physical Damage you deal with Tempest Shield. :)
^
GGG have posted on their thread about fixing snapshotting that Tempest Shield is one of the cases where snapshotting will be fixed, and mods on it will update dynamically to changes as itended. So snapshotting really seems to be whats causing the problem here. Changing the weapon updates Tempest Shield's damage because changing weapon forces you to re-equip the shield, wich forces tempest shield to deactivate and activate again, making the damage update correctly.
Last edited by realm087 on Jul 8, 2014, 5:13:19 AM
"
GGG have posted on their thread about fixing snapshotting that Tempest Shield is one of the cases where snapshotting will be fixed, and mods on it will update dynamically to changes as itended. So snapshotting really seems to be whats causing the problem here. Changing the weapon updates Tempest Shield's damage because changing weapon forces you to re-equip the shield, wich forces tempest shield to deactivate and activate again, making the damage update correctly.

Not entirely sure what you mean by "Changing the weapon" and its subsequent effect on the damage of my main skill. In the current state, when I activate Tempest Shield, all skills I have equipped have their damage updated immediately (according its tooltip), no changing of weapon is required. I activate Tempest Shield by pressing the designated key while hovering my mouse over my other skill (Incinerate or Molten Shell) and the damage displayed in that tooltip is immediately updated, I see the numbers change, I don't even need to hover away and back to refresh the tooltip, the numbers are changing instantly when TS is activated. The damage of TS itself, however, does not increase, not instantly nor after refreshing the tooltip.

Anyway, I'm glad it will be fixed with the upcoming patch, just would have liked a reply about the upcoming fix in this thread, crucial information about the game is so scattered around the forum and other websites like Gamepedia. Well... double thanks to you for taking the effort.

Edit: After reading your earlier post above a realize you mean removing the weapon and placing it back. Still don't understand why the mechanic of deactivate and activating again doesn't take it's own increase in block chance into account (when placing the weapon back, causing deactivate-activate, the extra 6% spelldmg is still not applied, even though TS is running when taking out and placing back the weapon). But let us not rack our brains on this anymore until the patch is deployed :)
Last edited by Lauicus on Jul 20, 2014, 2:44:16 PM
"
Lauicus wrote:
"

Not entirely sure what you mean by "Changing the weapon" and its subsequent effect on the damage of my main skill. In the current state, when I activate Tempest Shield, all skills I have equipped have their damage updated immediately (according its tooltip), no changing of weapon is required. I activate Tempest Shield by pressing the designated key while hovering my mouse over my other skill (Incinerate or Molten Shell) and the damage displayed in that tooltip is immediately updated, I see the numbers change, I don't even need to hover away and back to refresh the tooltip, the numbers are changing instantly when TS is activated. The damage of TS itself, however, does not increase, not instantly nor after refreshing the tooltip.

Anyway, I'm glad it will be fixed with the upcoming patch, just would have liked a reply about the upcoming fix in this thread, crucial information about the game is so scattered around the forum and other websites like Gamepedia. Well... double thanks to you for taking the effort.

Edit: After reading your earlier post above a realize you mean removing the weapon and placing it back. Still don't understand why the mechanic of deactivate and activating again doesn't take it's own increase in block chance into account (when placing the weapon back, causing deactivate-activate, the extra 6% spelldmg is still not applied, even though TS is running when taking out and placing back the weapon). But let us not rack our brains on this anymore until the patch is deployed :)

If you change weapon you force the recast of tempest shield. But because the added block will AWAYS be added AFTER any cast of the skill, it will never be applied because of snapshotting. You change the weapon, the skill deactivates, then activates, then you gain the extra block chance and it applies to all skills that are not sustained or not currently sustained. Because tempest shield is currently sustained, sice it was what triggered the block chance increase, it will not recalculate the damage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info