Any ARPG's out there similar to PoE?

"
SamBaLam wrote:
"
RulerofAsgard wrote:
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing is currently on sale on Steam for ~$5-7 (depending on if you get the dlc) and it's quite enjoyable.

Doesn't really sound like an ARPG, maybe I'll check it out and see what's it about.

Before I do more research any quick summary you can give? That's the first one I haven't heard of, the other games I'm quite familiar with.

It's more Diablo-like: when you level up you pick between skills/passives to level up/unlock. You have ranged (guns) magic and melee options available. It is an ARPG in combat form (i.e. point-click/skill use). It's has a solid story that's well told, and on the hardest difficulty & hardcore mode it's fairly challenging and unforgiving. It's a very good single player game, though it does have co-op options if you're wanting that. I'd recommend it, especially for as inexpensive it currently is (though I got it when it first came out for $15 and don't regret doing so at all).
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo
Well your opinion and the one of the review I watched are pretty different. Maybe I would actually enjoy this. It did look interesting, it very well might be worth several bucks maybe I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Also I just lol'd at some guys top 10 ARGP list. It wasn't to bad, path of exile was actually #1 (it's a top 10 action RPG games by ReNDeL on youtube) but this guy doesn't even have diablo 2 on the top 10.

Talk about disrespect. I'm pretty sure he's either not old enough to have enjoyed D2 in it's prime days otherwise his list in completely invalid IMO lol. I'm not mad at PoE being #1, but you can't say D2 isn't a top 10 arpg..I mean you can't even argue that. Diablo really is what made that genre BIG for gaming.
I'm going to second Borderlands 2 (never played the original). Gameplay isn't anything revolutionary (or even extraordinary), but it was the writing (and voice acting) that kept me playing to the point of obsession. It's also one of the very few ARPGs with an itemization system that involves you constantly upgrading your weaponry (though it does kind of suck when you have to retire a really well-rolled or incredibly rare gun).
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
im just going to say borderlands 1 and 2 are one of the most overrrated games i have ever played,i think i managed like 5 hours each until i got ridiculously bored and stopped
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
Last edited by VictorDoom on Dec 27, 2013, 3:19:25 AM
There really aren't a lot of ARPGs in general, let alone quality ones.

I enjoyed Torchlight but it is lacking in terms of the depth and challenge areas, but it is a great fast paced loot pinata type of ARPG.

I really didn't like any aspect of D3. D3 would have been more successful if they just applied the D3 graphic engine to D2.

The problem is there is too much hubris from game developers. I am not sure how so many developers have failed to grasp what is good about ARPGs but for some reason everyone wants to force their perspective on the genre to make it more attractive to players of other genres.
"
Zvim wrote:
There really aren't a lot of ARPGs in general, let alone quality ones.

I enjoyed Torchlight but it is lacking in terms of the depth and challenge areas, but it is a great fast paced loot pinata type of ARPG.

I really didn't like any aspect of D3. D3 would have been more successful if they just applied the D3 graphic engine to D2.

The problem is there is too much hubris from game developers. I am not sure how so many developers have failed to grasp what is good about ARPGs but for some reason everyone wants to force their perspective on the genre to make it more attractive to players of other genres.

Well said.

D3 is more so closer to an MMO than an aRPG. Now obviously it's not an MMO, but just the gameplay and style of it resembles more of a WoW type content then certainly Diablo 2 content. Honestly I did enjoy diablo 3 for a while, in the beginning definitely although it might have been just that it was a diablo game, and I'm such a diehard diablo fan. I see the flaws in D3, but it's not what everyone else thinks. The game did have customization, but of course certain builds were the "cookie cutter" and more efficient, so of course one would play the best build out. It's like PoE there is the cookie cutter infernal blow/aegis tank build. Stuff like that. But when you think about it, D3 could be played with more skill involved as far as setting your skill bar correctly and timing certain skills (ala, more like a WoW type game) with bad gear. In PoE it's more of a gear check. Bad builds with good gear in PoE will always succeed.

D2 I don't think was as much of a gearcheck though from how many different skills you had to choose from.
There is an excellent new ARPG coming out shortly that is supposed to be pretty good. The artist's have been hard at work and the play testing seems to be going very well. Apart from a few balance issues that need to be ironed out game should be up and running in the near future.

But I don't think it's for you as I've seen the harsh standard that you judge free to play games by.

You wouldn't enjoy having to rely on RNG and the crafting system doesn't guarantee instant gratification. On second thoughts, I best just keep this game under raps.
"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

Grim Dawn is definitely your best bet.

Its straight forward but intriguing and there's something annoyingly addictive about it. Its currently in Alpha (or beta?) with a new update coming out next month for Act2.

Its the type of game you can play for 5minutes or for 5hours.

I agree with whoever said Borderlands 2 was overrated.
Just for try for see and for know.

She corpse exploded the corpse of the boss...
"
Hardlicker wrote:
There is an excellent new ARPG coming out shortly that is supposed to be pretty good. The artist's have been hard at work and the play testing seems to be going very well. Apart from a few balance issues that need to be ironed out game should be up and running in the near future.

But I don't think it's for you as I've seen the harsh standard that you judge free to play games by.

You wouldn't enjoy having to rely on RNG and the crafting system doesn't guarantee instant gratification. On second thoughts, I best just keep this game under raps.

I don't post often, but this post got me.

You're what is wrong with the GGG community and why they feel forced to post on Reddit so much. The man started a thread asking for some game recommendations, nothing hostile. If you don't want to recommend a game, don't. But to post details of the game, then say you're "keeping it under wraps"? What makes you better than this guy, or gives you the right to be condescending?

If you don't have anything useful to say, keep your mouth shut. There's no point in posts like yours besides creating a negative environment on the forums.
"
Slimegoon wrote:
I don't post often, but this post got me.

You're what is wrong with the GGG community and why they feel forced to post on Reddit so much. The man started a thread asking for some game recommendations, nothing hostile. If you don't want to recommend a game, don't. But to post details of the game, then say you're "keeping it under wraps"? What makes you better than this guy, or gives you the right to be condescending?

If you don't have anything useful to say, keep your mouth shut. There's no point in posts like yours besides creating a negative environment on the forums.

C'mon Slimegoon act like you know. Don't make it so easy, now I'm definitely not going to tell you which game I was going to recommend.

Even a cursory glance at some of the bile that has been spilled from the man asking nothing hostile would have you second guess yourself.

And Slimegoon, really? is that what you want as a handle? I thought my choice was risque.
"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info