Any ARPG's out there similar to PoE?

A couple weeks ago after deciding to take a break I also made a new toon to level up as I sold the remaining parts of my characters. Well everything's been gone for a bit now and I hopped on today to play for maybe 15 minutes or so and just got really bored. Honestly the past while of me playing I had been feeling more bored, and that might be due to the large number of my friends (who I regularly mapped with) all stopped playing.

I decided to do a quest or something while my new Xbox One was updating and downloading the game (happy birthday to me) but it got very dull, very quick for me. I'm only level 47, and leveling is a breeze right now (crit spec throw shadow, just trying something I haven't done) so usually I enjoy playing through until I get to end game maps. But this time it wasn't.

It's probably from grinding so much so quick in this game. I definitely wouldn't call it a flaw, if anything it goes to show that you shouldn't burn yourself out on a game so quick. I've been taking a break for reasons other than it actually boring me, but just kind of solidifies my decision now by it not being as fun. I'm sure that will all come back with time though, I've done it with other games as well and then come back several months later. Also some of the issues I'm sure will be taken care of by then and it'll be a better experience. As for now, my free time is goin toward my XB One. Things pretty fuckin sick. Was more of a preference thing since I was considering the PS4 but meh I've always been more of an XB guy.

REGARDLESS and back to the point, is there any ACTIVE ARPG's out there that are worth giving a shot? Preferably one you've already tried out because I wouldn't be putting a whole lot of time into it, mainly just the extra free time that's not being spent on my ass in front of the TV playing XB1.

Lol I actually did a couple runs on D3 the other day, just to see what's going on. It was actually pretty enjoyable to me, mainly because it was something fresh. But I enjoyed playing D3 for many different reasons than PoE (besides the fact of how much of a failure d3 was, but not for the reasons most of you think, but that's another story for another day) so I'm interested in maybe finding something more like the D2/PoE style of play.

If it costs I wouldn't really mind paying depending on price, and mainly depending on the quality of the game. Not sure if this can stay here or get moved to OT, whichever works. Just looking for a decent game to put some spare-spare time into. (spare-time will be on xb1..spare-spare will be on PC =P)

edit -- when I say "similar" obviously I don't mean exactly alike, I.E; having a huge skill tree to choose your build etc etc. But you get the idea, more-so the combat and such.
Last edited by SamBaLam on Dec 27, 2013, 1:43:33 AM
Shit you got a lot haha but here everyone will suggest this because It's fucking boss

'Titans Quest' and the expansion.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
Shit you got a lot haha but here everyone will suggest this because It's fucking boss

'Titans Quest' and the expansion.

And the spiritual successor, Grim Dawn. Though, it is kinda getting close to beta. Hopefully by next month, it is in beta.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Dec 27, 2013, 1:45:55 AM
Ah yes Titan Quest I forgot about that shit!

Correct me if I'm mistaken, isn't there something similar to titan quest as well? I can't remember if I played TQ, or a different one..

TORCHLIGHT. That's what I've played before. I actually enjoyed it for a little while. I got stumped though at like the second act or something - everything one shot me so I was clearly under leveled or way under geared or something.
I was going to say Grim Dawn but my biggest issue with that game is that there is like only one act right now and the devs aren't exactly pumping out updates.
Standard Forever
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing is currently on sale on Steam for ~$5-7 (depending on if you get the dlc) and it's quite enjoyable.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo
"
iamstryker wrote:
I was going to say Grim Dawn but my biggest issue with that game is that there is like only one act right now and the devs aren't exactly pumping out updates.

Crate Entertainment is a much smaller group than that of GGG, so they cannot pump updates that normally. While they do the give us updates through the game, they give us an update of their progress in the forum.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Dec 27, 2013, 1:55:37 AM
"
RulerofAsgard wrote:
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing is currently on sale on Steam for ~$5-7 (depending on if you get the dlc) and it's quite enjoyable.

Doesn't really sound like an ARPG, maybe I'll check it out and see what's it about.

Before I do more research any quick summary you can give? That's the first one I haven't heard of, the other games I'm quite familiar with.
If u want something similar but diffrent try Borderlands really good game ether 1 or 2 ,
Titans quest is good to for a singile player or of course diablo 2
Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
I forgot to add that yes single player is going to be my personal choice here, I don't mind if it's online as long as the solo play is quality as well.

That's sort of what's drawn me off of PoE. So many updates/nerfs whatever you want to call them, are really taking a toll on the single player part of the game. It's incredibly more efficient to play in a party now, and solo play really got diminished from the whole aura thing, and other "balances."

Hmm looked at a review of that van helsing game and the guy doesn't have much good things to say about it.

It doesn't look to bad tbh, honestly I'd probably enjoy it for a bit. If it was f2p I'd try it out, but wouldn't bother spending 5 bucks on it =p
Last edited by SamBaLam on Dec 27, 2013, 2:21:55 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info