Path of Exile [Intro Story]

The Witch awoke.

She felt sand between her fingers, smelled death in the air. She did not open her eyes just yet; no. She remembers being exiled, discharged onto a ship bound for Wraeclast, bound for the home of all Exiles. She remembers the storm, the ship breaking apart-

She opens her eyes. Devastation surrounds her, remains of all that came with her. And bodies, far too many then the amount of crew that came with the boat, littering the beach all around.

A shock-wave of sound slammed into her, of screeching metal and groans of dying peoples. Grabbing a nearby plank nearly thin enough to be called a staff, she rounded the corner of an upturned hull, and saw him. A Templar, with nothing in his possession but a sword and tattered clothing, battling a small number of what appeared to be undead; moaning as they clawed their way to him.

The Templar noticed the Witch standing near the ancient oak hull; "Well? I don't know who you are," he yelled, voice full of frustration and rage, "but I would appreciate help against these abominations."

The With snorted as she started to circle around the area of the conflict, avoiding contact with the monsters. "Help you? These... things aren't attacking me, are they? I see no reason I should have to get involved." Having skirted her way around the monsters, she turned her back on the Templar and his friends, and headed towards what looked like hills in the distance- looking for civilization.

A shouted warning and a large clash of metal on bone forced her to turn around again; to find the Templar struggling to behead an undead that had clearly turned to attack her while she turned away.

Before she could get out a word, "You idiot!" the Templar snarled. "You don't understand. If you think you can surviv-" the Templars voice cut out as he spoke, eyes going wide. He raised his weapon and motioned for the Witch to stand closer, face going white with fear. "If you think your safe here, you should take a look around..."

Confused by the Templars mannerisms, the Witch turned around- and immediately raised her weapon, instinctively backing to stand near the larger man with the big sword.

As the bodies on the beach stood, she realized she was right. There were far too many bodies on the beach for only the slain members of the ships crew.

No, these were all undead.

And there were many more of them then she expected.
Love, love is a verb
Love is a doing word
Fearless on my breath....
Criticism? Praise?

Something? XD
Love, love is a verb
Love is a doing word
It's good and I like it but I don't have much to say, not really good at constructive criticism.

Is there going to be more?
It would be cool to have a story with all the characters together.
My gaming computer is broken...

It's a very nice snippet, but it's hard to judge it based only on what's presented. Snippets are like that.
You've some typos in there that you might consider cleaning up, and be careful with what perspective you're telling the story from; "The witch awoke" is a good place to start, but then you use "she remembers", in line with "she felt" and "she smelled" which makes it confusing and uncertain of when the events taking place are happening. Past-tense? Currently? Keep that uniform if possible.

How does she know the fellow is a templar? Is it something unique to the uniform he is wearing or the way he fights? Describe that so we have a sense of what the protagonist is thinking, put us in her head.

Other than that, there are grammatical hiccups that you should consider simply checking in Microsoft Office or OpenOffice, they'll often tell you when you have run-on sentences, or you have sentence fragments that need revising.

Other than that, I encourage you to write write write! I'm doing the same thing here, kind of: http://ryukaki.com if you'd like an example. I'm actually currently getting my BA degree in a writing related field, and I still use other people to look over my work and tell me what works and what doesn't, so never feel bad about that :)
My writing/adventures through Path of Exile

http://ryukaki.com
Last edited by Ryukaki on Sep 11, 2011, 11:49:13 PM
Yes; there will be more. Yes; all the characters will come together.

Yes, I will be more careful with my grammar and sentence structure; I wasn't really paying attention, just writing what was coming to me.

I'm also NOT an English major :p
Love, love is a verb
Love is a doing word

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info