-- Chiaotzu's 'Fox' -- RF Aura Support: Cheap

I present to you... The Fox

Introduction

Hey, this is my first time posting a build. Any recommendations/critics will be taken to heart and I'll probably respond to every post in this thread. This build came about when I decided to just take every aura node on the tree and run all that I could. In fact, due to currency issues I'm about 2 steps short of reaching its completed state, which adds both more auras and a deal more survivability. One of the big issues of this build was doing damage, but I found Righteous Fire to be the perfect solution. In fact, not only did I start helping deal damage in the parties I was in, but I could also solo Lunaris(and speedily run through for Piety farming parties) and some maps. Currently, I'm lvl 81, yet besides some gear upgrades after an extreme amount of wealth accumulation this build won't change much, just add some damage/survivability). One of the more interesting aspects of this build is that it does not take advantage of the offensive auras for damage. Before we continue, let's get a few things clear about what's good and bad about this build.

Pros
Spoiler

1. You add more damage to each person in a party than most builds, making you extremely valuable
2. Can solo content... but (con 1)
3. Extreme customizability
4. Match my success cheaply
5. Able to be played Mouse only
6. Be the last to die in a party by hanging in the back
7. Can MF... but (con 6)

Cons
Spoiler

1. Chaos is very difficult to deal with without Shav's (Take note that I don't have Shav's)
2. Inactive playstyle
3. Difficult to use curses/skills in general
4. Chaos mobs seem to appear when you don't expect them to, and will kill you while you're off guard
5. No light radius without investing 2 passives
6. Skills used to cull can only be used a few times before needing to pot

My Current Passive Tree

Passive Tree Progression

Gearing
Spoiler

Shield
This build has many uniques that can help it, but the one required unique, as with any Righteous Fire build, is Rise of the Phoenix.

This provides a massive +8 to your maximum fire resistance, which is the only viable way to get into the 90's without the use of a Ruby Flask.

Another shield that can be used is Prism Guardian, but you remove your ability to use Righteous Fire. Using this shield you can run all 7 60% reservation auras, and when gem swapping it is possible to use 4 40% auras in addition to that.

Helm

Alpha's Howl.

Which reduces the amount of life you reserve and gives +2 to aura gems in it, which will help any aura out quite a bit, notably Vitality, Discipline, and Purity of Fire. Standard use in many Aura builds, though it's somewhat pricey and is NOT necessary. I went until 75 without the money to buy it and survived just fine, during that time I used Geofri's Crest.

Which even with a lvl 1 Empower gem can give +2 to any gem.

Other than those two, or Leer Cast for extreme party lovers, any helm with high ES is preferred.

Body
I personally use

as I find it's the cheapest way to get high ES. However, the best chestpiece for this build is Shav's, which would solve the chaos con completely, but unfortunately is beyond the financial means of many players. Beyond that it's high ES all the way.

Gloves
High ES, avoid life, resistances help, and possibly 1 non-fire damage mod to trigger Elemental Equilibrium using your default attack.

Boots
Either follow suit with the gloves, or you may try to use Blood Dance

Which can help a bit with regeneration, though they lower your overall health and inhibit the hang back play style.

Weapon

Is ideal as your main hand weapon due to the high energy shield addition, and you didn't need that life anyways.

Dual wielding redbeaks while on low life when you cast Righteous Fire gives a tremendous boost in damage, Searing Touch is also a viable substitute.

Jewelry
Resistences and ES are what you want more than anything else.
Berek's Grip can be used for added damage and decent energy shield.

Bandits
Spoiler

Kill... Kill... Kill some more

Cheap, working Gear
Spoiler

Leveling
Spoiler

Use whatever early on, I stuck with Sprectral Throw until Merciless Felshrine. After that I stuck with parties as an aura support that didn't really do anything else until 72, at which point I was finally able to Sustain RF, a lvl 18 Purity of Fire gem helps out a ton, but despite being usable at lvl 64, the xp it needs takes you to around 76. Note that even at lvl 50 the damage I added to parties made them the fastest around, and contributed more than many end game builds would, really aiding the leveling process. Be wary of chaos as always.

Playing Tips
Spoiler

Hang back in group play, be wary of chaos. If there are chaos mobs remove a few auras so you have ~40% of health (you still help the group out a ton even with the removal) and keep a very close eye on health and whenever it drops at all use your life flask. Any party that sticks together will block most of the chaos and if you run around you should never experience a stage 2 viper strike. On maps you can always change out auras to fit what's on. If monsters deal an extra 100% damage as cold, pop on purity of Ice and boost everyone's res well beyond the typical 75. This build is awesome because everyone around you experiences a 78% boost from all of your auras. If someone else is running the same aura as you TOO BAD YOURS IS BETTER.

When playing solo remove offensive auras, though keep Haste(you get a 16% movement speed boost which is just insane). You can actually run every defensive aura at the same time if you want, though Determination doesn't do much. You could grab Iron Reflexes, but most chaos comes in the form of projectiles which are better to just evade. Ruby Flasks will boost you over 100% fire resistance and act like a life flask in and of themselves due to your high regeneration.

As with every Righteous Fire build, keep a dousing flask on hand, I keep mine with a granite because with dousing also comes running away form damage, in most cases.

The Stats
Spoiler

Defense
Spoiler

Me:

As some additional math, I burn for .90*.07*1080 = 68 life per second
Additionally, I burn for .7*.07*4167 = 204 ES per second
So Righteous Fire damages me for 272 damage per second.

With regenerating 468 ES per second I have a net regeneration of 196 ES per second WHILE RIGHTEOUS FIRE IS CAST, I can turn off vitality and not burn.

Others:

These are the possible defense boosts I can give my party members.

Vitality: 1.55%*1.78 = 2.75% life regenerated per second

Discipline: 318*1.78 = 566 additional energy shield (like having a great 2nd chestpiece)

Grace: 1793*1.78 = 3191 additional evasion rating (like having the best evasion chest possible)

Determination: 49%*1.78 = 87% increased armor (though I rarely use this one as I have no armor)

Any purity will easily boost teammates beyond their max resistance too, give everyone 5 additional max res when there's a lot of 1 type of elemental enemy.

Offense
Spoiler

I don't have a hover tab dps so this is going to be all math based calculation for dps.

Me:
Righteous fire damages enemies for 50% of your ES and 50% of your Life per second. So for me the base Righteous fire damage is .5*5271(ES) + .5*948(Life) = 3109.5 dps.

I also have 57% increased burning damage, and I use redbeaks when I cast RF which is another 200% increase. So 3109.5*(1+2+.57) = 11100.915 DPS which is a huge amount of damage for a support based build.

Others:
With a nice 78% increase effectiveness of my auras, I give some pretty impressive boosts to my teammates. When there's no chaos around it includes all of the following.

Hatred: 35%*1.78= 62% physical damage added on as cold damage (sheez that's huge)

Haste: 16%*1.78 = 28% increased attack speed and
8%*1.78 = 14% increased movement speed

Wrath: 15 to 241 * 1.78 = 26 to 428 additional lightning damage

Anger: 80 to 134 * 1.78 = 142 to 238 additional fire damage

Solo MF Piety
I won't spoiler this part since it's my favorite aspect to this build, and the fact that I'm able to MF piety was complete unintentional. Not only am I a fast runner in parties, but I can Cull piety with 231/40 MF atm, which is perfect for both solo and parties. This requires NO GEAR CHANGING MID RUN and is fast enough to easily keep a good instance of Lunaris 2.

I started doing MF runs when I had around 3K ES with MF, occasional deaths happened because I'm on domination and simply ran by everything without caution. Now I have 4K ES and even spend time on packs mid run for a few extra drops/xp. One of the beautiful things about running Lunaris with this build is, white mobs will die simply by you running by them, so even running as fast as possible, you still get a little experience at the same time.

One of the hardest things to overcome when running MF without ridiculous sums of money or dedication on the skill tree is resistances. Well, Lunaris has no chaos mobs which means the entire life pool is open to reservation. With lvl 17 purity auras and maybe purity of elements added on to finish it off, you're not just at decent enough resistance, but 8 over max, with room to spare!. Because with lvl 19 purity of elements and purity of lightning/fire/ice you get boosted 54+76=130 elemental resistances, you could run with 0 elemental resistance on your gear and still have 70 resist for each element(excluding fire of course, which you must have more of, and already will be given the extra bit by Rise of the Phoenix). Also can toss grace on for a nice 5000ish evasion boost.

For culling, I keep a small amount of life after reservation and carry 1 flask. I have a simple 3L with culling strike - arc - item rarity. Faster casting can be added if a 4L is available. I've lvled arc, but there really isn't any point in doing so. I've MFed for parties just fine, just get that arc in while piety has >10% heatlh. While running, if you're hit with vulnerability you will slowly degen ES, but using a ruby flask works just fine and the mobs you kill while running always keeps your flasks up.

Feel free to whisper me online IGN: SaveChiaotzu
Last edited by Apanauc on Jan 19, 2014, 11:45:30 PM
Holy shoot, Geofri's Crest with Empower as a cheaper Alpha Howl and Infernal Mantle (as a cheap ES chest for RF ES based for me - but you do this in a clever way than me using Blood Magic node so no drawback at all), this is exactly what I'm thinking for a whole week and about to do (lvl 55 atm). I must add you bro. :)

Anyway, don't take the Holy Strength node since it make RF burn you more (3% increased Effect of Buffs on You).

EDIT: Seem like you taken a couple of "x% increased Effect of Buffs on You" node, can you explain it? Since I remember that those gonna hurt you more with RF.
AllanPls - A Poe.Trade-inspired style for the official Path of Exile Trade website (v0.1.2)

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2026765
Last edited by surVfate on Dec 22, 2013, 10:27:44 AM
"
surVfate wrote:
Holy shoot, Geofri's Crest with Empower as a cheaper Alpha Howl and Infernal Mantle as a cheap ES chest for RF ES based, this is exactly what I'm thinking for a whole week and about to do (lvl 55 atm). I must add you bro. :)

Anyway, don't take the Holy Strength node since it make RF burn you more (3% increased Effect of Buffs on You).

EDIT: Seem like you taken a couple of "x% increased Effect of Buffs on You" node, can you explain it? Since I remember that those gonna hurt you more with RF.

Hey, happy to answer your questions. With update 1.0.3 pretty much nothing increases the damage you personally take from RF. It'll increase the damage done to enemies with increased burning damage, fire damage, elemental damage, or damage over time nodes without increasing the damage done to you. I do not believe increased effect on buffs will increase the damage you do, though.

But this build does use buffs, and lots of them. Auras do count, despite the additional strength only applying to you. This is extremely useful for the defensive auras, vitality and Discipline. More than those though, Purity of Fire gets a boost. On the tree you get 78% increased effect of auras you cast and the inner force circle gives you another 21% increased effect of buffs on you. Holy Strength pushes that total to 102% giving you double the effect of everything, and going from 99% to over 100% will give you an additional point to max resistance on Purity of Fire no matter the level, which is huge and can get you decent regeneration even when you have Righteous fire going.

More than happy to add you.

EDIT: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/661547 Lays out what helps Righteous Fire.
Last edited by Apanauc on Dec 22, 2013, 10:44:35 AM
Nice guide, sir. Love all the support auras!

iGN: RawbinHewd ;)
IGN: RawbinHewd
Last edited by Cpt_Lustblood on Dec 24, 2013, 3:45:03 PM
Any updates on this build?
"
jerfay wrote:
Any updates on this build?

Looking for anything specific? The passive tree is pretty much set, with further levels slowly incorporating more ES and burning damage. I'm currently doing 70+ maps and waiting for a miracle bringing in enough currency for the next two upgrades this build can receive, Prism Guardian and Shavs Wrappings. Prism would be for when there's a full party and you just want to be 100% support with the maximum 11 auras(7 60% reservations and 4 40% reservations) and without Shavs I have to leave off 3-4 auras and pay a lot of attention to my life pool until I'm certain there's no chaos on a map. All I can say is, it works. I can be a runner to Lunaris with one of the best run times in a party(besides speedy leapslammers) thanks to 16% movement speed increase with haste and still gain a little xp from mobs that die while I run by. Soloing Piety is not only viable but able to be done with MF gear if you have enough ES, in fact it's rather easy because when you solo, you can forego all resistance gear and run every single purity. Mapping almost has to be done in parties, but I found early on that this build makes friends fast because it's easy to type and play one handed, while still being a huge contributor to the party. So you get to chat around, and build up the friends list. As of late I don't even join public parties as I always know people willing to jump in on maps(this also helps consistently keep on in 70+ maps).

If you're looking for anything specific, I'll definitely update this guide with it as soon as possible.
Just want to know how much health you have and if you could add in videos as well.
"
jerfay wrote:
Just want to know how much health you have and if you could add in videos as well.

I have about 1100 life and 4300 ES. I may add some videos when I upgrade machines but at this time I'm playing on a laptop and do not believe a video would be very visually appealing. While I guess some Lunaris runs would be a nice thing to have a video of, most of the map play consists of watching OTHERS destroying the content and only killing the enemies that bother to come close to me.
Added a bit about MF piety runs since I've been doing them day in day out the last few weeks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info