The Hobbit 2 - The decapitations and Smaug

Just seen the latest Hobbit film, and I have to say, it was much fun and merriment.

A bit of a bladder clencher at 2:45hrs, but very much worth the thumb twiddling.

Lots to criticise but much more to enjoy.

My starter for ten in the negatives would have to be the hapless Orcs, all of them just standard death fodder, with none of them providing any tension or character. Also, they are white and look like any generic bald-guy monsters from any film of the 21st century, from Thor to I Am Legend. Whatever happened to bogey green Orcs, huh... huh...

My starter for ten on the gorgeous front would have to be the overall delight of being allowed to wallow once again, decadently so, in the wonderful world of Jackson/Tolkien, watching Gandalf and Legolas et al do battle once again, all in this supremely submersive almost-reality.

Anyone else caught a glimpse yet?
I would just say It's a shitty movie. Worst of the series and dragged out movie as a whole. Was very disappointed with the movie and will not watch the 3rd one in the cinemas. Arg!
When a banker jumps out of a window, jump after him, that's where the money is.
"
Xpire wrote:
I would just say It's a shitty movie. Worst of the series and dragged out movie as a whole. Was very disappointed with the movie and will not watch the 3rd one in the cinemas. Arg!

Why so? What got your goat?
I enjoyed it, watched it in Imax 3D.
I'm not really fond of the 3D part, but it works alright. The Imax though, I love it.

I read the book like 12 years ago, so I don't remember much and can't really compare the movie to the original story, but I thought it was really intense and action-packed.

The orcs being fodder, that's pretty accurate, but it's been like that in the LOTR movies aswell.
Yes, they're not green, but some of them look quite bogey as we are used to.

Spoiler

As for the fight between Gandalf and Sauron, I'm a bit surprised. As I said before, I don't really remember the books, but if Gandalf were to fight Sauron and see him returned 60 years before LOTR, surely he wouldn't be that surprised in LOTR. Will he suffer from amnesia or something later on ?
The fight was gorgeous though.

Last edited by Bobbyblind on Dec 17, 2013, 6:06:25 PM
The movie is more and more looking like a cartoon. To many CGI effects and characters compared to the old ones, and still somewhat more kid friendly movie.

Generally better than first one, but still bad movie for me
"
Bobbyblind wrote:
I enjoyed it, watched it in Imax 3D.
I'm not really fond of the 3D part, but it works alright. The Imax though, I love it.

I read the book like 12 years ago, so I don't remember much and can't really compare the movie to the original story, but I thought it was really intense and action-packed.

The orcs being fodder, that's pretty accurate, but it's been like that in the LOTR movies aswell.
Yes, they're not green, but some of them look quite bogey as we are used to.

Spoiler

As for the fight between Gandalf and Sauron, I'm a bit surprised. As I said before, I don't really remember the books, but if Gandalf were to fight Sauron and see him returned 60 years before LOTR, surely he wouldn't be that surprised in LOTR. Will he suffer from amnesia or something later on ?
The fight was gorgeous though.

Yes, I think the over-all compensated for the plot holes and weakened Orcs. In the LotR films, you often got little chunks of Orc activity, like the Orcs before and during the forest scenes and the Orcs atop the tower where the hobbit was a prisoner. Here they just get arrows stuck in them and the like.

"
miljan wrote:
The movie is more and more looking like a cartoon. To many CGI effects and characters compared to the old ones, and still somewhat more kid friendly movie.

Generally better than first one, but still bad movie for me

The Hobbit book was more of a children's book than the LotR books, so this makes some sense, but I agree it's a bit more cartoony - Smaug in particular is a bit like Tom to the Dwarf's Jerry.

Did you still not enjoy just the sheer gorgeous wallowing though? The new locations and epic structures and environments etc?
"
cronk wrote:
"
Xpire wrote:

Why so? What got your goat?

When my wife and I left the movie theater she asked me what parts in the movie was from the book. My answer was his name was Bard and he carried a black bow.
Luke: Sorry we have to leave you here, but it just ain't right to eat your wife's and daughter's brains. Plus you're really disgusting and I don't want to spend anymore time with you.
"
velrac wrote:

When my wife and I left the movie theater she asked me what parts in the movie was from the book. My answer was his name was Bard and he carried a black bow.

Awesome! Someone who actually knows the book well!

Come on then, give us a list, you know you want to! (and I want you to as I don't know all the differences either...)
The hobbit should never been made into an adults movie.
Tolkien wrote this novel for a completely different audience compared to lotr.

IMO the same setting is only con incidence. They might as well have been set in different worlds

Have you read the silmarillion? Its so different to the hobbit it might as be from a different author
Dear GGG, please make Mac version
I didn't like the movie.

And I have a few question about it.

Spoiler
Oakenshield got his name after the Smaug incident. So how does Smaug know the name Oakenshield?

Bilbo only can understand what the Spiders say while wearing the ring. So how does he understand what the spider says (when he is sticking his sword in it's face) without the ring on?

How does the love thingy between the Elf and the Dwarf make any sense? Is it just filler for the ladies?

“Demons run when a good man goes to war"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info