So I think I'm gonna play Oblivion or Morrowind for a little bit

Skyrim was a let down for me and Elder Scrolls Online is gonna be pay to play, so yeah.

Getting burnt out on PoE and need something to do while I wait for Hellraid to come out sometime next year.

On another note, does anyone know of an RTS with snowy landscapes and a medieval theme? I have strange taste in games sometimes lol
If you play Oblivion, don't forget to make some spells for flying across the world at Mach 3 or jumping out of the game world, that was the best.
Current IGN: TheBearerOfLight
Gizoogle Chris: "Da State of Exile muthafuckas axed mah crazy ass ta post a reminder dat they podcast is dis weekend, as usual. It aint nuthin but tha nick nack patty wack, I still gots tha bigger sack."
Last edited by BoltThrower87 on Dec 17, 2013, 1:48:56 PM
You could try Two Worlds 2 with the worldmerge mod, just what that game needed.
Oh man, Morrowind. Completing the main story line is still a life goal for me.
Personally I value Skyrim more than Oblivian as I saw it like a step toward Morrowind again.
Just add some mods and you even have all the classic weapons again.
Totally disliked the style of the beast-races in Oblivion.

Anyone knows how far Skywind is developed atm?

As for your RTS question, nothing crosses my mind. There is a hybrid game I voted for on greenlight in the past, Sang-Froid. Maybe look into that and see if it fits your needs?
"
Nightmare90 wrote:
Oh man, Morrowind. Completing the main story line is still a life goal for me.
Personally I value Skyrim more than Oblivian as I saw it like a step toward Morrowind again.
Just add some mods and you even have all the classic weapons again.
Totally disliked the style of the beast-races in Oblivion.

Anyone knows how far Skywind is developed atm?

As for your RTS question, nothing crosses my mind. There is a hybrid game I voted for on greenlight in the past, Sang-Froid. Maybe look into that and see if it fits your needs?

I saw Skyrim as being watered down personally. I liked Morrowind the most and felt like Skyrim was missing a lot of the more customizable/unique features Morrowind had. Kinda felt the same way about Oblivion too actually, but not as strongly.
Oblivion was easily the worst TES game ever made.

When you look at it in detail, you will find that the world in Oblivion is mostly empty, there is nothing except a bunch of placeholders, the same generic landscapes, etc... In Skyrim you had some variety, but arguably still alot less than in Morrowind.

In Morrowind there were interesting things to discover absolutely everywhere, which at least in my opinion, is the whole point of an open-world game.

I still remember when I fell off that big flying rock above the temple of vivec and actually found a sunken ship completely by accident. You don't have fun and unexpected moments like that in games like Oblivion or Skyrim or newer games in general because game developers (GGG excluded *wink*) no longer put in the effort.

"If players can only find it by chance then it's not worth putting in the effort, because we have to streamline everything." I hate that so much about modern gaming.
#1 Victim of Murphy's Law.
"
SlixSC wrote:
Oblivion was easily the worst TES game ever made.

When you look at it in detail, you will find that the world in Oblivion is mostly empty, there is nothing except a bunch of placeholders, the same generic landscapes, etc... In Skyrim you had some variety, but arguably still alot less than in Morrowind.

In Morrowind there were interesting things to discover absolutely everywhere, which at least in my opinion, is the whole point of an open-world game.

I still remember when I fell off that big flying rock above the temple of vivec and actually found a sunken ship completely by accident. You don't have fun and unexpected moments like that in games like Oblivion or Skyrim or newer games in general because game developers (GGG excluded *wink*) no longer put in the effort.

"If players can only find it by chance then it's not worth putting in the effort, because we have to streamline everything." I hate that so much about modern gaming.

Couldn't agree more, Oblivion and Skyrim are both pretty overrated and bethesda are very lucky to have the sort of communities they do.

Hell I was even disappointed by morrowind in many respects (combat/monsters), I thought daggerfall was pretty great despite its many many flaws. The scope of that thing, a modern, better and expanded version would ruin me. I'd even say it ruined me in terms of expectation.
Just to demonstrate my point about Bethesda putting in less and less effort.

Here is a list of ships in Morrowind including shipwrecks you could find in Morrowind:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Ships

roughly 20 in Morrowind

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Ships

0 in Oblivion

This is part of the reason the world in Oblivion felt so plastic and empty to me. There were no random things to discover, it wasn't truly an open world, because most places were part of either the main quest or side quests. In Morrowind there were "random" dungeons, shipwrecks or even events (icarus) that you could only find by chance, which greatly encouraged exploring the world.

I really have to ask myself, what is the point in making an "open-world" game when everything in the game is streamlined by quests? It seems to me that, that simply defeats the whole purpose of an open-world game.

At least to me, Oblivion could have just as easily been a non-open world game and my experience with the game would have been exactly the same.

Granted Morrowind had it's own weaknesses, such as the combat system and in earlier versions the journal system, but what Morrowind got absolutely right was the main quest (very exciting and "meaningful") and the open-world aspect that should be the most important part of an open world game.

The world should truly feel open and offer things for you to discover and in that sense Oblivion was Bethesda's biggest failure.
#1 Victim of Murphy's Law.
Last edited by SlixSC on Dec 17, 2013, 6:13:15 PM
"
SlixSC wrote:

The world should truly feel open and offer things for you to discover and in that sense Oblivion was Bethesda's biggest failure.

To be fair though, their basis and choice of tools ultimately allowed them that. Sure it relies on the community but it has to be enabled first.

The point being, I'm pretty sure you could get an incredibly adventurous experience with lots of exploration and discovery with the right sort of mods. Dealing with that shit can be a bit much though.
Oh damn I have 600 hours in oblivion : <

Play Starbound or AC bf if your bored. Both good and new. I dont normally like AC games btw. However BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOATS
I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info