Oro's Sacrifice builds?

Although I am only lvl 74, I'm having a pretty good time with this sword. I'm currently using Heavy Strike and Spectral Throw, and both are working quite well (I do wish there was a better single-target alternative; the knockback on Heavy Strike is annoying if you can't get the rare/boss against a wall, but the 150% multiplier is huge since you want harder hits for more burn dmg, which is why I don't use double strike).

Damage for this character is deceptively high since burning dmg and the 10% from The Taming against burning targets is not accounted for in the tooltip. Add in the fact that most mobs have little fire resist means that with Fire Pen/Flammability, you're doing a LOT more dmg than the tooltip says. Yes, mobs with a lot of FR take a little longer to kill, but it's not too bad.

Current Build
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAecCcQSzBS0FWxJpFCAUTRRxFxwXLxkuGYUaOBpVGmwbyCSqJbwn7SmlKk0yCTKJNZI26DbpPAU_J0GqQzFFlkZpRtdKyE4qUEdV1lcNV-JYr1nzWhpeE2BLYSFko2TnZp5sRm6qcXlybHKpdO1253fleA1673zZfVuApIM4hO-LjJBVks2drp7Nn8uf36IApzCnhKlurEesqrXytkHAGtIh2WHfv-Fz42rrLOw47SDvfPAf-tI=

In the upcoming levels I plan on getting two additional Endurance Charges at Marauder and Duelist starts, Elemental Adaptation, and a lot more life nodes near middle. I didn't intend this char to use HS/ST, thus the +aoe nodes at the Templar start. Haven't really found a better way to spend those points, though. I could use those points to take the Int nodes leading up to Holy Fire and spec out of the +30 Int node I have, which would free up a couple points... but I haven't quite given up on some stupid leap slam/splash spec which I'd like to try once I get a bit tankier.

Gear

I would say my gear is in the good-but-not-great category. I just spent most of my currency on The Taming yesterday, which was a pretty big dps upgrade. Between Granite flask (I need to steal a Perpetual Iron Skin Granite flask from one of my other characters) and Ruby Flask, I don't really have any issue with anything except for extremely hard-hitting physical rare/boss mobs. With Ruby Flask up, I barely notice reflect unless I have Flammability up, then it requires health flasks to survive.
I use Double Strike in my helm linked to IIR to cull for a small boost in loot (it does 6.1k dps if you're curious, and at almost 3 attacks/sec ignite has basically 100% uptime).
The EK gems are just there to level for a diff character.
I just realized that I have that godawful neck on, which I needed after I specced out of a +30 dex node. I'll probably buy a neck with the Dex I need plus health and enough resists to cap lightning. Haha.

Stats

Heavy
(12773dps with Anger)

Spectral
3140dps with Anger

Defenses
(This is WITH Grace; I currently have 4349 armor (36% DR) without it.)

As far as how it plays, I'm finding it very fun. I generally run with only Grace up for my aura. If it's an easy map, I'll add in Anger for a pretty big dmg increase. If the map has minus max resists or ele weakness, I'll put on Purity of Fire instead of Grace, which makes a huge difference. The incoming damage can be high at times, but if you know what's around you, you can generally predict dmg spikes and compensate with flasks. All the maps I've done have been solo or with one other person who provided some shock stacks, but no other utility. This char's survivability would definitely be greatly enhanced by playing with people who run Grace (allowing Purity of Fire full time) and Determination. Curses can be a bit of a pain since Flammability/Ele Weakness are the only curses which boost my dps and all of my friends want Crit Weakness, but like I said I've mainly been solo so far.

All this said, I'm the type of scrub who starts a new char every three weeks then gets the itch to reroll at around 80, so we'll see if I make it to 72+ lvl maps... If/when I do get there, I'm probably going to be taking Faster Attacks out of Heavy Strike and putting in Increased Burn Dmg.
Last edited by TheMaceous on Dec 21, 2013, 6:01:30 PM
Thanks for that post The Maceous. Any chance you would make a gameplay video and upload it? I'd like to see how the build looks in action.
Some thoughts.

If you're going for a strictly DPS approach, a rare physical 2hander is going to be better. Something like ST/Doublestrike with a vanilla life tree doesn't do Oro's justice.

Playing to its strengths, that much base fire damage should allow you to do burning builds without being shoe-horned into IB+AoF, which was the only real burning melee attacking build before this sword. The one build that stands out to me would be Leap Slam (100% AoE damage effectiveness) with Elemental Proliferation and both of which get increased by AoE increases. LS + WED + Eleprolif + Incr. AoE is a solid AoE 4L for the build.

As a burning build, getting dual curse Flammability/Eleweak should be required.
For a single target, anything works. Double strike + WED + FA + Multistrike, probably.
still trying to get real good gear for it, its more a fun project, beside my other char. doublestrike,mplash,wed,lifeleech,bm, not sure with the last one maybe fa or firepen.
single target doublestrike,wed,lifeleech,bm,fasterattacks,firepen

i let u know when i finished whole gear

thats gonna be my tree on lvl 88 for nemesis

stats

+254 to Strength
+222 to Dexterity
+84 to Intelligence
+430 to maximum Mana
+907 to maximum Life
Evasion Rating: 314
+3 Maximum Endurance Charge
+4 Maximum Frenzy Charge
+3 Maximum Power Charge
4% Additional Elemental Resistance per Endurance Charge
4% Physical Damage Reduction per Endurance Charge
5% Attack Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
5% Cast Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
50% Critical Strike Chance Increase per Power Charge
176.4% increased Evasion Rating
49% increased Attack Speed
326% increased maximum Life
20% increased Accuracy Rating
4% increased Evasion Rating per Frenzy Charge
Converts all Evasion Rating to Armour. Dexterity provides no bonus to Evasion Rating
56% increased Evasion Rating and Armour
+10% to all Elemental Resistances
52% increased Armour
12% increased Physical Damage
Cannot Evade enemy Attacks
Cannot be Stunned
8% increased Melee Physical Damage
+2 to Melee Weapon and Unarmed range
30% increased Fire Damage with Weapons
36% increased Fire Damage
8% increased maximum Mana
2.5% of Life Regenerated per Second
Ignore all Movement Penalties from Armour
Your hits can't be Evaded
Never deal Critical Strikes
+16.8% Energy Shield
+50.8% increased Melee Physical Damage
+444 Accuracy Rating
Last edited by DreamAwaken on Dec 22, 2013, 4:54:00 AM
"
Xomulus wrote:
Thanks for that post The Maceous. Any chance you would make a gameplay video and upload it? I'd like to see how the build looks in action.

I just tried to make a vid but I was getting really bad key input delay and a poor framerate. I think it might be a software issue but I'm not very familiar with this stuff; I'll try to sort it out when I have more time.

"
pneuma wrote:
Some thoughts.

The one build that stands out to me would be Leap Slam (100% AoE damage effectiveness) with Elemental Proliferation and both of which get increased by AoE increases.

I intended my char to be a Leap Slam build, which might work in the long run. With my char right now, the DPS feels VERY underwhelming considering the rather large increase in damage taken.

With the same gear I mentioned above, I have a tooltip dps of 4056 with Leap Slam supported by Life Leech, WED, Faster Attacks, and Fire Pen. Better than Spectral Throw, yes, but IMO not good enough to give up the safety of range and the better AOE flexibility ST provides. I haven't tested Prolif in a while, but it felt pretty poor in Leap Slam when I tried it before. I might try it with Heavy Strike though and see how that works.

Edit: Prolif was okay in Heavy Strike, but as with Leap Slam, the AOE dmg isn't even close to being worthwhile considering the loss of survivability as you stand around waiting for mobs to 1) ignite then 2) die from ignite. Better to just stand back and ST away... it's faster and safer.
Last edited by TheMaceous on Dec 22, 2013, 2:23:28 PM
"
pneuma wrote:
Some thoughts.

If you're going for a strictly DPS approach, a rare physical 2hander is going to be better. Something like ST/Doublestrike with a vanilla life tree doesn't do Oro's justice.

Playing to its strengths, that much base fire damage should allow you to do burning builds without being shoe-horned into IB+AoF, which was the only real burning melee attacking build before this sword. The one build that stands out to me would be Leap Slam (100% AoE damage effectiveness) with Elemental Proliferation and both of which get increased by AoE increases. LS + WED + Eleprolif + Incr. AoE is a solid AoE 4L for the build.

As a burning build, getting dual curse Flammability/Eleweak should be required.
For a single target, anything works. Double strike + WED + FA + Multistrike, probably.

a pure ele build is an option as well. burning damage is really pointless in high level map play when mobs die rather fast.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Now why hasn't anyone come up with a flicker strike build yet? All these Spectral Throw builds and no Flicker Strike.
Slap on a Chance to Ignite gem with flicker and you now have infinite flicker strike with burn on enemies 100% of the time.

Been theorycrafting a build that would have 9k+ HP and over 1300 HP/sec with over 30k dps with Flamibility, using new Kaom's Heart.
Something like Flicker Strike+WED+Multistrike+Blood Magic+Melee Splash+Chance to Ignite/Life Leech. Sadly I don't have the gear to test this out.
Run purity of fire+empower on Alpha's Howl+Elemental Adaptation to minimize reflect dmg while out healing it with Regen+Leech.
"
EmAitch wrote:
Now why hasn't anyone come up with a flicker strike build yet? All these Spectral Throw builds and no Flicker Strike.
Slap on a Chance to Ignite gem with flicker and you now have infinite flicker strike with burn on enemies 100% of the time.

Been theorycrafting a build that would have 9k+ HP and over 1300 HP/sec with over 30k dps with Flamibility, using new Kaom's Heart.
Something like Flicker Strike+WED+Multistrike+Blood Magic+Melee Splash+Chance to Ignite/Life Leech. Sadly I don't have the gear to test this out.
Run purity of fire+empower on Alpha's Howl+Elemental Adaptation to minimize reflect dmg while out healing it with Regen+Leech.

im using it on a 4L its basically permanent flicker.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
EmAitch wrote:

I have a 6L armor so I tried this out yesterday (retrofitted) on my EA marauder as a proof of concept:

Flicker Strike - WED - Chance to Ignite - Ele prolif - Fire pen - Increased AOE.

It worked surprisingly well, I just need to curse flammability, then maybe hit once with frenzy, and I'll guarantee infinite flickers, the ele prolif'd burns are spread out across because I'm flickering all over, everything burns to death and I can just flicker another couple of times to kill the rares/bosses.

I'd imagine with a dedicated spec, this could do end-game worthy ignite damage.
[Hardcore league]
IGN: Jeria / Metalgrid
For a passive tree, consider this. A total of 240% WED with the sword alone, and about 300% in HP nodes. That just leaves resists & hp needed on gear really, as your damage should be more than sufficient.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAi4zhc-0gRtddxrUE5CIpT4Kb1Hznanrm7DhX4jKJd-UEsxRN8B-iABpsGYUkqjbp42qdrqcI2CQ2xTbYKo2XhexVHwKcLYdlr7dJG49G0NDPZVXGFm8aOKeEkFXFiq9sTP88Lcautz7-CvJFOuGmV03j_o81kqxZiPHnY7XybqpKyD8nKk0VIHPhX6r3iIPb_EvOcWwWLOndDfzFVvrdRmOn_E7uDiP27_BaSGegh3ZKfVwMxPYn7Rku2WFXDdIhns125wVb

I would suggest Life Leech in any combination of skill gems, as the lack of physical damage means you cannot leech normally. Currently the best skill setup seems to be Heavy Strike, Faster Attacks, Weapon Elemental Damage, Multistrike, Life Leech, and Meele Splash. The physical damage bonuses are wasted on these gems with this build, but the damage output is still better than any other build for the weapon.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info