Elemental Buzzsaw & Static Strike - Solo the entire game, quickly and cheaply 1.1.0 update

"
Daarknight wrote:

First I had previously calculated that OP gets 2723.45 of his dps from the elemental damage on his weapon.

What? How? I'd love to see the maths behind this statement, because I think it's extremely difficult to see the impact of the weapon on the build when presented as the OP has done (in raw specDPS numbers), because *so much* of the DPS comes not from the weapon but from the auras.

"
Daarknight wrote:

His elemental damage on weapon is 310 (sum of his minimum and maximum elemental damage per attack). This gives us 8.785 dps per 1 elemental damage on weapon....Remember that total element damage on weapon is the sum of all min and maxes.

Why is it the sum? If my ele damage is 100-200, then that's not a 300 ele weapon, it's a 150 ele weapon. The *average* damage I will do with that weapon is 150. It's not 300 - infact, I'll never do 300. It should be sum/2.

"
Daarknight wrote:
You can not look at Edps on a weapon as that is affected by speed.

Agreed, and I didn't, and I made the same point in my post. ("We haven't used eDPS here so as to avoid double-counting the effect of APS (as eDPS uses APS).")

Not quite sure about some of your maths here, but happy to be shown why you're right.
"
Altissimus wrote:
"
Daarknight wrote:

First I had previously calculated that OP gets 2723.45 of his dps from the elemental damage on his weapon.

What? How? I'd love to see the maths behind this statement, because I think it's extremely difficult to see the impact of the weapon on the build when presented as the OP has done (in raw specDPS numbers), because *so much* of the DPS comes not from the weapon but from the auras.

"
Daarknight wrote:

His elemental damage on weapon is 310 (sum of his minimum and maximum elemental damage per attack). This gives us 8.785 dps per 1 elemental damage on weapon....Remember that total element damage on weapon is the sum of all min and maxes.

Why is it the sum? If my ele damage is 100-200, then that's not a 300 ele weapon, it's a 150 ele weapon. The *average* damage I will do with that weapon is 150. It's not 300 - infact, I'll never do 300. It should be sum/2.

"
Daarknight wrote:
You can not look at Edps on a weapon as that is affected by speed.

Agreed, and I didn't, and I made the same point in my post. ("We haven't used eDPS here so as to avoid double-counting the effect of APS (as eDPS uses APS).")

Not quite sure about some of your maths here, but happy to be shown why you're right.

OK.

1. It is really not that difficult to calculate. First we must look at cold damage only as he has a lightning and fire aura up that affects his paper dps. His per attack damage from cold is 113-209. He has 33-58 cold on weapon and 6-14 on other gear for a total of 39-72 base cold damage. If we divide his per attack minimum (113) by his base cold minimum (39) we find that the multiplier from various sources is 2.9. You can verify this by doing the same to the max (you must round slightly as POE rounds also).

Since he does not have any specific lightning or fire multipliers on gear or in tree then the same multiplier can be used for all 3 elements. So, you take his on weapon min and max fire, cold and lightning damage, add them together and divide by 2 (we want to exclude the elemental damage from other gear). This = 155 (average elemental damage on weapon per attack excluding multipliers) and we multiply by the 2.9 we calculated above and come up with 449.5 elemental damage per attack from weapon only. Now multiply this by his attacks per second of 6.02 and we get 2,706. (I must have made a small error or rounded a little differently when I calculated previously). What we have just done is exclude the aura,physical and other gear elemental damage from his dps.

I am just creating a ratio comparing on weapon elemental damage to attack speed. The math is just easier if you add the min and max together rather than divide by 2. If you want average elemental damage per attack, just divide that by 2. If you had the maximum 3 elemental rolls (36-64 cold, 41-72 fire, 11-115 lightning and 1.7 attack speed, your dps would be slightly lower when compared to a 27% attack speed foil (2.16 aps) with zero elemental damage suffixs. 339 / 75.86 = 4.47 while the maximum range of a foil is .46 aps or 4.6 increments of .1 aps. 4.47 < 4.6 thus 3 x max elemental affixs < 1 max attack speed affix.

If you feel more comfortable dividing your elemental totals by 2, that is fine. I can just divide the 75.86 by 2 and we have a ratio of 37.93 average elemental per .1 aps. So for every 37.93 average elemental damage on weapon is equal to .1 aps. My way of doing it just saves you the step of having to divide by 2. Average elemental damage = 339/2 = 169.5. 169.5 / 37.93 = 4.47. Works out exactly the same.

There really is no reason to even look at physical damage as it's % of total dps will always be disgustingly low due to his only multipliers being the 8% projectile damage nodes.

Once again, these ratios are specific to the OP's build, current level, gem level and qualities.
Last edited by Daarknight on Dec 24, 2013, 11:21:29 AM
@Mathil: First off, great build. I had a theory craft that I wanted to run by you. My intent was to basically use the base of your build and try to incorporate in Mind Over Matter and also run Arctic Armor. Also wanted to get the extra 10% dodge chance and phase acrobatics. The Mind over Matter and Arctic Armor is there to help at least give that armor feel to an evasion/dodge build. Here is my tree.

Now with this I would be using the Cloak of Defiance to actually get Mind Over Matter and a total 40% damage reduction. The auras would probably limited to three 60% auras and clarity. The good thing about this is that you can run spectral throw or double strike off mana which will allow you to add an offensive support gem to help offset the change in damage. I am in the process of building this character now.

one thing that would probably help the build significantly is getting prism guardian and possibly running a 60% aura off of life (with lvl 20 reduced mana the 60% aura would reserve 14% of your life, if you chose a two 40% aura in prism guardian then it would reserve only 19% of life).

I know it is a completely different build. If I choose double strike as the main skill then I would spec out of ballistic mastery and probably put in more life nodes.
Had a question. I have every aura node.

I have this stuff linked together:

Problem is, I need 3% more off the auras in order to use purity of lightning... and I have no clue of how to do that. The 3 in the helm need to be 21% each for purity of lightning or any other 40% aura to be used for a total of 5 Auras.

What gives? lol

Oh also, if anyone has an upgrade for
let me know! I'll buy it.
Xbox Master Race

Join the Discord!

https://discord.gg/UCshcMS
Last edited by Avic_Hybana on Dec 24, 2013, 1:48:55 PM
"
Avicularia wrote:
Had a question. I have every aura node.

I have this stuff linked together:

Problem is, I need 3% more off the auras in order to use purity of lightning... and I have no clue of how to do that. The 3 in the helm need to be 21% each for purity of lightning or any other 40% aura to be used for a total of 5 Auras.

What gives? lol

Oh also, if anyone has an upgrade for
let me know! I'll buy it.

65.178% mana reserved with three 60% auras in alpha's howl. If you want to run purity of lightning you will have to get the other 5% reduced aura node in the passive tree (wasting a lot of points going for that). That is the only way you can run 4 60% auras and one 40% aura. Your problem is that you are trying to run 4 60% auras. The build is meant to run three 60% auras and two 40% auras.

You get to pick between haste OR grace. You should have purity of lightning and purity of fire in the boots and not grace. Another option is to get prism guardian and then you can run four 60% auras off of mana AND two 40% auras off of life. The 40% auras will reserve right at 19% of your life. If you only want to run one 40% aura and you were running prism guardian then it would cost about 9.5% of hp. Enjoy!

Remember when calculating mana reservation the formula is this.

(((Aura reservation % in Alpha's Howl)(0.51)) + ((Aura reservation % not in Alpha's Howl)(0.59)))*0.71 = total % of mana reserved

Pay attention that 0.71 is the mana multiplier with level 20 reduced mana.

Now with prism guardian the reduced mana reserved goes from 0.51 to 0.36 (1-0.41-0.25).
"
runnin17 wrote:
@Mathil: First off, great build. I had a theory craft that I wanted to run by you. My intent was to basically use the base of your build and try to incorporate in Mind Over Matter and also run Arctic Armor. Also wanted to get the extra 10% dodge chance and phase acrobatics. The Mind over Matter and Arctic Armor is there to help at least give that armor feel to an evasion/dodge build. Here is my tree.

Now with this I would be using the Cloak of Defiance to actually get Mind Over Matter and a total 40% damage reduction. The auras would probably limited to three 60% auras and clarity. The good thing about this is that you can run spectral throw or double strike off mana which will allow you to add an offensive support gem to help offset the change in damage. I am in the process of building this character now.

one thing that would probably help the build significantly is getting prism guardian and possibly running a 60% aura off of life (with lvl 20 reduced mana the 60% aura would reserve 14% of your life, if you chose a two 40% aura in prism guardian then it would reserve only 19% of life).

I know it is a completely different build. If I choose double strike as the main skill then I would spec out of ballistic mastery and probably put in more life nodes.

Well first thing's first, yes that's a completely different build. Now comes the wall of text of why this isn't practical or efficient.

Actually I don't even know where to start, this is just such a bad idea, haha.

This spec cannot work with mana in my opinion. You attack so fast and would burn so much mana there isn't any real way for you to offset that with clarity, mana leech or whatever, especially if your mana pool is constantly suffering a beat down when you take damage due to mind over matter. The addition of a gem slot doesn't much help either because we already use our best gems and the only beneficial ones left are added lightning or added cold and they aren't all that great.

By running mana you're using less auras, as you said. This spec's strength is the fact you run 5 auras that greatly benefit you. Taking away any 1 of those severely gimps us.

You said you want arctic armor/mind over matter for that armor feel, well I just can't see it being that great. If you want the armor feel your best option is most definitely using a Lightning Coil as it remains basically the same spec except you take 40% less physical damage.

Now here's another significant problem; you'll be running a prism guardian and cloak of defiance. You've lost alot of your evasion (almost all of it actually) and 2 pieces of lots of life. The build you linked actually has about 25% less life than mine so with that and the loss of life from that gear I can see you being at 5100 life wearing the rest of my gear and being 95. You then go on to say with prism guardian you can reserve "only" 14-19% of your life. That leaves you with anything from 4k to 4.4k life. While playing this all the way to 95 I've constantly found myself wanting more and more life, which is why I've tried to squeeze as much as I can as efficiently as I can in my tree. I've tried wearing a prism guardian and turning on an aura, seeing such a large dent in my life was unacceptable.

In gaining mind over matter and arctic armor you've lost probably 2k life, almost all of your evasion, your ability to attack constantly and do every map (quickly too). Simply skipping ballistic mastery is not an option especially if you're going double strike and have as low life as I described. I go down that way because there's alot of great passives clustered together, including heart of oak and the stun recovery. Without those I'm 99% certain you will constantly die to stuns, even having 6k life.

Basically all I can suggest to you is stick to the game plan here and get a lightning coil. Phase acrobatics and the extra dodge passives are optional though. I had them for a while and ended up dropping them because I didn't feel they did enough work for how much I spent on them. It's still a defensive gain though so you may want it in liue of something else.
A list of all my builds and guides - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1099189
Twitch.tv/Mathil1 streaming daily
Last edited by Mathil on Dec 24, 2013, 5:52:54 PM
Haha. Your reply makes me think you truly don't understand how evasion works and you have never played with a character using EB or Mind Over Matter. I will make another thread with my results when my am done with my build. The sarcasm in your reply just makes me laugh. Also the ineptness of the majority of the reply is just laughable.

Again, your build is great. It is hugely viable in non-HC leagues. I don't play scrubcore so I try and theory craft new or different builds that will survive in hardcore leagues. I know you may think my theorycraft is shit, that is fine. I am pretty sure it is somewhat viable end game. I will try it out. If it is shit, then I will tweak it to make it work.
"
runnin17 wrote:
Haha. Your reply makes me think you truly don't understand how evasion works and you have never played with a character using EB or Mind Over Matter. I will make another thread with my results when my am done with my build. The sarcasm in your reply just makes me laugh. Also the ineptness of the majority of the reply is just laughable.

Again, your build is great. It is hugely viable in non-HC leagues. I don't play scrubcore so I try and theory craft new or different builds that will survive in hardcore leagues. I know you may think my theorycraft is shit, that is fine. I am pretty sure it is somewhat viable end game. I will try it out. If it is shit, then I will tweak it to make it work.

Please update us on how that works out for you.

Because it won't.
"
runnin17 wrote:

Sorry if I offended you? I wasn't trying to. I just don't think it's a good idea and was hoping to save you time. I've thought about ways of improving or changing my spec many times and the problems I listed are why I don't think it works going to mana or running with several other unique items. I haven't run EB or mind over matter, no, because I don't think they have a great deal of synergy with this spec.

I don't think there was any sarcasm in my reply either and I'd like to know what exactly you thought was inept in my reply because I really don't see alot of it being laughably wrong.

And calm down on "scrubcore" comments. Alot of us play on domination/standard to enjoy ourselves without the pressures of starting over every time we die. I could definitely take this spec into end game HC, especially if I picked up more defensive talents and maybe used a Lightning Coil but I prefer to play a bit faster and reckless so here I am. I and many of us have played hardcore, succeeded at it or failed and moved on. There's no need to be on a high horse and call it scrubcore.
A list of all my builds and guides - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1099189
Twitch.tv/Mathil1 streaming daily
Great build! Just started it last night, was able to reach 61 today. I'm at roughly 3,000 DPS for ST. How decent is this weapon? I sniped it for 4c, I think it was a great steal.
Last edited by histerias on Dec 25, 2013, 3:26:17 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info