Iron Reflexes + Grace

Hey guys! Since OB is starting, I need to solve some stuff related to my build. Hope you can help me!

I'm building a full 2h Mace Resolute Technique + Blood Magic Marauder. I'll be heavily focused on Life and Resistances. So here comes my doubt:

Most people build their Marauder with the Iron Reflexes talent coupled with the Grace spell, because it gives a nice chunk of armor. However, most people also say that armor is somewhat useless in comparsion to Life and Resistances. Furthermore, why go so deep into Dexterity points just for this? Also, Using 2h Maces + RT makes Dexterity somewhat useless, other than for some skill usage, don't it? Wouldn't there be better ways of getting armor with other talents? Or even put those points into something else?

Thanks in advance!
"
guegueu wrote:
Hey guys! Since OB is starting, I need to solve some stuff related to my build. Hope you can help me!

I'm building a full 2h Mace Resolute Technique + Blood Magic Marauder. I'll be heavily focused on Life and Resistances. So here comes my doubt:

Most people build their Marauder with the Iron Reflexes talent coupled with the Grace spell, because it gives a nice chunk of armor. However, most people also say that armor is somewhat useless in comparsion to Life and Resistances. Furthermore, why go so deep into Dexterity points just for this? Also, Using 2h Maces + RT makes Dexterity somewhat useless, other than for some skill usage, don't it? Wouldn't there be better ways of getting armor with other talents? Or even put those points into something else?

Thanks in advance!

Having that minimal dex around 100, these dex will be evasion then converted to armor with IR, so there's still some used.

If you are running IR, armor nodes are probably very accessible plus all this %armor increase can stack with Granite Flask.
Without IR, those armor nodes are just not attractive.

Sure you can stack more life but on your way to stacking them, all those armor nodes are so accessible.

The other way would be casting endurance charges constantly which I feel it's a pain to do that. Or using a Shield.

"
heatzz wrote:
"
guegueu wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Having that minimal dex around 100, these dex will be evasion then converted to armor with IR, so there's still some used.

If you are running IR, armor nodes are probably very accessible plus all this %armor increase can stack with Granite Flask.
Without IR, those armor nodes are just not attractive.

Sure you can stack more life but on your way to stacking them, all those armor nodes are so accessible.

The other way would be casting endurance charges constantly which I feel it's a pain to do that. Or using a Shield.

Isn't the bonus evasion from dex that is converted to armor with IR fairly negligible? Not that i won't invest in any armor at all, but, as you said, i can invest in life and still have access to some armor nodes.

Dunno, it just seems that IR is unnecessary, and the points could be better spent. However, in almost every single build it's present, and i wanted a strong reason for this.

Anyway, thanks for the answer!
"
guegueu wrote:

Isn't the bonus evasion from dex that is converted to armor with IR fairly negligible? Not that i won't invest in any armor at all, but, as you said, i can invest in life and still have access to some armor nodes.

Dunno, it just seems that IR is unnecessary, and the points could be better spent. However, in almost every single build it's present, and i wanted a strong reason for this.

Anyway, thanks for the answer!

Example:
100 Dex gives you around 38% evasion.
1000 Evasion from grace so it would give 1380 armor.
with 50% armor nodes you can give further to 1880 armor.
Wearing a hybrid Armor/Eva are affect by the evasion%, they are pretty commonly used to support other gems like auras, curse, & etc.

I think the main reason is the flasks, every mods on your flask with Evasion% & Armor% are affected by them so with IR all your armor/evasion% nodes are affect by it.

Also maybe cus Golem's Blood, Diamond Skin, IR, Life nodes are so near to get them so....

If you are playing a 1h with shield then IR is just an option as a shield is like a grace + IR armor rating.

Last edited by heatzz on Jan 19, 2013, 11:08:46 PM
still plenty of life% nodes over on the dex side and a decent 10% att spd 2her aswell, just north of IR
Last edited by guegueu on Jan 19, 2013, 11:52:11 PM
dont use blood magic. Ithink Auras + mana lech is better.
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
I think people tend to overlook the other cool benefits of picking up IR. If you pick it up you have much more flexibility in what kind of gear you can wear, and that you also take less of a movement speed penalty when you use evasion gear. Just like what heatzz said earlier there's quite a few useful nodes down that way too, and if you are gonna pick up diamond skin then you might as well spend the 4 extra points and pick up IR. You can also pick up the armor and evasion passives if you want instead of just pure armor, but you only get the bonus applied once.

Last thing is if you are gonna be melee and mobs are gonna be hitting you, then it's usually a good idea to pick up Unwavering Stance. If you do that, rather than making any evasion you get from any dex you have from gear/passives completely useless you can at least get some benefit from it by taking IR.

"
kamil1210 wrote:

That's absolutely not true. I used a lot of BM builds and have cleared end-game content easily. It just comes down to personal preference.
"
I think people tend to overlook the other cool benefits of picking up IR. If you pick it up you have much more flexibility in what kind of gear you can wear, and that you also take less of a movement speed penalty when you use evasion gear. Just like what heatzz said earlier there's quite a few useful nodes down that way too, and if you are gonna pick up diamond skin then you might as well spend the 4 extra points and pick up IR. You can also pick up the armor and evasion passives if you want instead of just pure armor, but you only get the bonus applied once.

Last thing is if you are gonna be melee and mobs are gonna be hitting you, then it's usually a good idea to pick up Unwavering Stance. If you do that, rather than making any evasion you get from any dex you have from gear/passives completely useless you can at least get some benefit from it by taking IR.

"
kamil1210 wrote:

That's absolutely not true. I used a lot of BM builds and have cleared end-game content easily. It just comes down to personal preference.

Yeah, I was going to pick Unwavering Stance. Anyway, I'm convinced to pick up IR. As you guys said, there are some interesting nodes on IR's path.

About the blood magic versus auras + mana leech, I agree it's a matter of personal preference.

But thanks for the tips, guys! Mind rating my build? I'll post it again:

Personally I don't think physical damage nodes add as much damage as elemental ones do. Also I feel that points put into armor nodes don't do a whole lot for you as you can get a lot from endurance charges, gear, IR, and grace. Also if you are running with blood magic it helps a lot to have some more HP regen. Body and Soul and those other ES nodes are kinda wasted unless you're making some hybrid build. The resists from Body and Soul are not really needed if you are going with run around with 6 endurance charges.

I swapped around a few points and feel that this would work a bit better

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info