Move Mind Over Matter

The keystone which focuses on using mana as a buffer for life is on the exact opposite side of the tree that has most of the nodes that focus on mana. There is no point in taking the node as a marauder/duelist/witch, as you have such easy access to a mass number of life nodes as well as other defensive/offensive nodes without going to far out of the way to grab them.

MoM really should be moved to the templar/witch/Shadow side of the tree. Vaal Pact was moved to the tree that better reflects the point of the passive, so why not move MoM to a part of the tree that makes it worth to pick up without going way out of the way.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
<------ Point of MOM

<------ Your head.

MOM's position is fine. It's a keystone that asks you to make a gearing effort to gain a ludicrous amount of damage reduction, or asks you to make a node-expensive investment to trivialize gearing.

A build with 100% increased life and 50% increased mana, when geared with life and mana in matching proportions, has a free ~90% increased life.

Also MOM has massively more synergy with the Dex/Str area than any other area in terms of complimentary defenses. The only thing remotely synergistic with MOM in the northern part of the tree is EB. And for an Int class the ONLY way to use MOM is to get EB.

Compare to the Duelist who can get Ev+Ar, reducing the damage his mana needs to absorb as well as completely negating a portion of attacks further reducing the mana he needs to sustain MOM.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
Its 16 points away from blood magic which completely removes mana. Somethign about that just doesnt make sense. If they moved Vaal pact I see no reason why they cant move MoM to a more sensible part of the tree
Except that MOM is in the most sensible part of the tree for it to be in.
The Duelist has one of the best Mana nodes on the tree smack-dab in the center of his start, as well as one of the Mana on Kill clusters close by (as in, right next to Mind over Matter).

As Autocthon mentioned, Mind over Matter really doesn't synergise with the north tree. You get a larger buffer, but it also drains much faster. Additionally, you have to forsake ES because MoM only works on Damage going to Life. That's far and away the lion's share of defensive nodes gone, right there. What are you going to do then, Life tank monsters? You don't have any Regen or Endurance Charge nodes in the vicinity.

Far as I know, a second reason for moving VP is so it's not within five points of the Scion start.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Dec 8, 2013, 8:08:13 PM
Pretty sure taht was the entire point of moving VP, because if they wanted it in a REALY sensible position they would put it by the shadow or witch (where life regeneration essentially does not exist and almost all life regeneration is done by leech).

As long as you define "sensible" as "area with least apparent anti-synergy".... VP is 4 p;oints form the largest life regen cluster in the game.
Last edited by Autocthon on Dec 8, 2013, 8:19:34 PM
I think VP gets special treatment when it comes to 'sensible' due to how powerful CI+GR+VP is :P
IE "VP too good if you get it free with ES and GR"

VP needs a little tuning I think, mostly to make it an actually attractive option for a life build. As-is outside of a few builds its kinda... Why would I give up my potions?

Petition to add 4% LL to VP anyone?

But we're veering off topic at this point I think.

MOM w/o EB is underrated, MOM w/ EB is overrated.
"
Autocthon wrote:

Petition to add 4% LL to VP anyone?

Don't think it would make it any more attractive, lack of leech isn't your main problem when using it. Maybe if it was "can't use flasks", you'd be able to block DoT from killing you too fast when idling if you got enough regen (eliminating the most glaring hole in the sole this keystone has) but being unable to use utility flasks too would make it a serious drawback (and being unable to use mana flasks actually synergizes well with BM)

I mean, it's interesting, Vaal Pact is, it eliminates just the mechanics that could keep you alive, if you got huge leech you'd probably still regenerate for a time after the fight is over but it makes all of it apply instantly, turning a disadvantage into advantage becoming a disadvantage :)
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Even if I revive an old topic I would like to add some thoughts.

- I frequently check newest builds and no build ever gets MoM on the skilltree. Would be interesting to see how many builds use the Mind over Matter keystone in the game. This number might come close to 0% even though it is such an important keystone. The keystone could even be removed without anyone noticing it.

- Someone argued that a witch has so much life and mana that it shouldnt be easy to have access to mind over matter for her. Then I wonder why evasion and armor builds / classes have their keystones right next to their starting point ( Phase Acrobatics right next to evasion classes and Iron Reflexes close to armor classes ). For the witch to get the keystone that obviously was created with her in mind she would have to sacrifice any damage - it is almost impossible to get the keystone with any viable witch build.

- 50% of Witch builds end up being their own kind of melee builds. Incinerate, Glacial Cascade, Freezing pulse, etc are almost melee range builds - why dont they deserve to get their own damage mitigation.

- I already did a Lightning Coil + Mind over Matter Incinerator build ( doing decent damage / it was basically the typical Atziri farmer build ) so the placement does not prevent "abuse" / stacking.
When Chuck Norris plays PoE masters do his missions
Last edited by AdFinitum on Apr 22, 2015, 9:16:25 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info