Freezing Trapper, or how to take abuse of gamemechanics to the next level. (Added Video)

Welcome Exile,

this is guide, or how i like to name it: Charconcept. It isnt a full guide with level progression etc. It just playable, modifyable charconcept, that includes a tested and worked idea of an character, that can be modified individualy.
I write this, because its annoying to explain every single party why everything in a 50 range aoe is permanently freezed. I cached your eye? Good, read further.

Hmm, where to start... how about an index?

1. What is a Freezing Trapper?
2. What skills do i need?
3. Mechanics?
--->3.1 Freezemechanics and how to abuse them.
--->3.2 How manage to still deal a good dps.
4. Passiv Skilltree?
5. What gear do i use?
6. How to play?
7. Screens?
8. Videos?
9. Suggestions?

1. What is a Freezing Trapper?
Spoiler

The name spoils it a bit, yes, it is a Scion, builded around the unused skill Freezing Mine. If you a looking for a massiv dps character, look elswhere. The Freezing Trapper is a supporter, that freezes normal mobs, champions, rares and even map bosses permanently. Yes you heard right, everything what is freezable can be freezed with this character.
Also, the Freezing Trapper is capable of dealing a noticable good dps.

2. What skills do i need?

To build this character, you need essentialy:

Freezing Mine
Temporaly Chains
Elemental Proliferation

Thats all you need to start the build. But to realy enjoy this build, you should also have:

Remote Mine
Trap
Coldpenetration
Increased area of effect
Elemental Weakness
Spelltotem and/or any skill that you whant to use to deal some damage
another Cold- or Fire- or Lightningpenetration

3. Mechanics?
Spoiler

This part i split to explain how to frezze 99,9% of all enemys in game and how to still be able to deal a noticable dps.

3.1 Freezemechanics and how to abuse them.

Spoiler
To the basics:

Effective health: health that the enemy would have if you where solo.

Freezing Mines freezing chanche is 100%, so you not have to care about that.

-The duration is based on how mutch life you remove from a enemy with colddamage.
-Per 1% effective maxium health you remove from a monster by dealing colddamage you freeze the enemy for 100 milliseconds.
-Status aliments can have a maximum duration of 33% of the enemys effective health.
-All status effects under 300 millisec gets ignored
-Maximum base freeze duration is 3,33 sec

Freezing Mine is dealing a very high imaginary colddamge ( 2,216 BASE DAMAGE at lvl 18). Since 0.11.6 you can support this skill with nearly every supportgem.

The high basedamage of Freezing mine freezes normal, champoin and rare mobs with ease up to the maximum freeze duration. So you can litheraly abuse elemetal proliferation to just freeze a normal mob, that than freezes a map boss, or dominus, or whatever you whant for 3,3 seconds.
This 3,3 seconds you can increase by skilling the 30% increased freezeduration in the passiv skilltree( http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAt9bbWS2osZCDCUZxtAyTJxzcf8bBxYhCgh5MLRdQAP0UsDowOVK8N05tWAesmE665OvjVg== ), and by the temporaly chains curse (buffs expire at half speed = 100% more freezeduration).
Than you have a maximum of 8.658 seconds freeze. On everything. Everywhere. For a cost of around 120 mana.

3.2 How manage to still deal a good dps.
Spoiler

Now you skilled all this freezing things. but how to deal damage? The key are mines. And Traps. And also totems. Or better to say Remoteminetrap-Totems. WHUT?

Let me explain.

First of all, you have to do a job that is to freeze all enemys and hold them frozen. That includes mine placement, cursing etc. you simply not have the time to exxesiv cast damage spells. So let totems do that for you.
In the passiv skilltree there are Passive talents that both, but seperatly increase trap and mine damage.

For example at shadow starting location the Saboteur-passive what gives you seperatly 20%increased Trapdamage and 20% increased mine damage.

With all these fusion trap/mine talents, you get out a total 121% increased trap and 121% increased mine dmg. Also you get:
-10% elemental penetration with traps
-10% elemental penetration with traps

What also gets combined to 20% elemtal penetration. So with a penetration support gem you can penetrate up to 55% of the enemy resistence. So enemys can have a maximum resistence of 20% to against your elemtal spells.

So if you for example link 19 Schockwavetotem with a lvl 20 Remote Mine, lvl 20 Trap and a lvl 20 concentrate area of effec, you get out a totem dealing 1589 - 2943 without any gear /further skillpoints involved. That is more than 11 times the basedamage of that spell. And there is mutch potential upwards (added firedmg, spelldmg on weapons/shields/belt(sunblast!) etc)

Be creative! With that "laying down a mine that laying down a trap, that casts a totem when sprung"-thing you can deal a nice dps with any skill you whant. The Passive tree is always the same, just use what you prefer.
Importent is only, that you always both link Remote mine and Trap to it becasue you always get a very very huge dmg boost out of it.

4. Passive Skilltree?

The base skilltree should look like this:

If you wanna deal damage, than you should skill like this:

If not, just use every point to increase your defense. This build is actually made in SC, but should be work very well in HC, if you play an defensive version that focuses on freezing.

5. What gear do i use?
Spoiler

That depends complete on you andyour goals with this character (pure support or support/dps hybrid)

There is no specific gear where i would say you must wear it. Besides sunblast if you go for dps. But for the Freezing trap itself, no specific gear is required.
Ok, if you have to mutch exalted or a badass luck, you can wear Taryn's Shiver.

Here is the gear i use actualy:
Spoiler

6. How to play?
Spoiler

Just run near a mob, place a freezing mine, detonate it, double curse, and than run into the freezed croud, and place again a freezing mine and detonate it. Than you can place youre Minetraptotems. Than just hold the crowd freezed while the totems or teammates finish them off.

At bosses, doublecurse them first to slow them, than search for a sinlge mob to freeze it. The freeze radius of the elemetal proliferation is very high, so the boss should run soon into the freeze. If that happend, its over anyway as long noone kills youre little freezed mob.

Be carefull in random partys. Noone knows Freezing mine and how this freezing stuff you do works. If you go for higher maps with a random group, explain yourself before you fight the boss, or everytime some stupid discharger will kill youre little safty freeze mob.

7. Screens?

Anything on this screens is permanently frozen.

Spoiler

8. Videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDauamMBvRs&feature=youtu.be

9. Suggestions?

I know, bad english and so on. Any other suggestions to this thread? Lemme know!
IGN: Toxic_Artillery

Obey the Orb:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2161077/page/1
Last edited by IsodorRodosi on Dec 15, 2013, 3:02:50 PM
Added Screens for an freezed Dominus and a freezed lvl 70 map boss Merveil.

Obey the Orb:
Added more screens and updated gear, next weekend i will do a video.

Obey the Orb:
Last edited by IsodorRodosi on Dec 8, 2013, 5:34:34 AM
This is a really cool concept! I think storm call totem would be awesome with this. It takes the movement out of the equation and since you're so close to static blows, the damage can be substantial.
Similar concept to my totem storm caller I'm creating at the moment, though mine focuses more on the storm call damage than the freezemine it self, also another great thing to help is Cold Snap on a trap - it can do a decent amount of damage and with cold pen, multi traps and proliferation it can freeze just as well.
Though personally your build really lacks in HP (Could be argued you don't need it due to perma freeze but I like a buffer for when mobs hit the fan)
I like it when underrated skills are used =3
I have relativly low hp, yes.

But as you see, i wear Cloak of Defiance, and have skilled eldrich battery. Got 3,7k mana. Also, i permanetly use a actualy lvl 15 frost armor, increasing it to lvl 20 at all. Iam lvl 74 now, and all future skillpoints are increasing my health.
Melee eneyms are not the problem, because freezed anyway, and vs ranged, i wear a Titucus Span, combined with mind over matter, molten shell and a high level frost armor, there are only minor ranged enemys i must fear, even when i got only 2k hp.
This char is suprisingly tanky for his health.

Ill post a video this weekend.

Obey the Orb:
Last edited by IsodorRodosi on Dec 13, 2013, 9:35:57 AM
I wouldn't bother rolling this character. Freeze mine (or more likely Ele Prolif) will probably receive some changes soon.
Even than you can freeze nealry everything if you link conc area of effect instead of elemetal prof. I actualy can freeze some mapbosses even without a little mob around.

Only the aoe gets nerved hardly then....

Obey the Orb:
Added a Video, sorry for the bad quality...its a free programm.

Obey the Orb:
Thx
Ign:
Brokthefearless
Tofastforme
Deadismyfriend
Coldshoulder

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type