No offline play right?

Given this is free to play and revenue dependant on the cash shop I am assuming there is no offline play? I was a bit confused when I watched a youtube video of a Path of Exile play through that stated "Offline"

Online only games have left a very sour taste in my mouth, no single player modding and entirely dependent on the server being stable and online.
Online only you would be correct
Yes, it's online only, since this is the only way GGG can have a revenue stream.
12/12/12 - the day Germany decided boys are not quite human.
"
Avireyn wrote:
Yes, it's online only, since this is the only way GGG can have a revenue stream.

More because thats the only way the Free2Play model can work
It also helps them manage the game's security which is of course extremely important.
IGN:
"
Soulmancer wrote:
Given this is free to play and revenue dependant on the cash shop I am assuming there is no offline play? I was a bit confused when I watched a youtube video of a Path of Exile play through that stated "Offline"

Online only games have left a very sour taste in my mouth, no single player modding and entirely dependent on the server being stable and online.

It's not like WoW or D3 where you get 4 hours of downtime per week for server maintenance and 6+ hours downtime for patches. There is no regular server maintenance here and patches require a couple of minutes downtime only to apply. Servers are very stable, in the 6 months of playing I can't think of a single time they were down when I wanted to play.

Sure there's the odd random disconnection but they are happening less & less as more issues are dealt with.
Figured as much; damn I'd pay to buy the game if it did have offline play... Managing security is an urban myth though; Diablo 3 has just as many security issues as Diablo 2.

It was more so for modding but I guess I can just play Path of Exile and get my modding fix with TL2 when the editor comes out! I just like the art style and setting of PoE a lot more
Last edited by Soulmancer on Jan 18, 2013, 12:28:34 PM
D3 is a horrible example of monitored security tho. The more problems they had with security the more money they made from there precious RMAH. So they honestly didnt give to squirts of piss about security or they would have made that lovely authenticator of there built into the game instead of selling it.
"
"
Avireyn wrote:

More because thats the only way the Free2Play model can work

That's what I meant :-D.
12/12/12 - the day Germany decided boys are not quite human.
"
Soulmancer wrote:
Figured as much; damn I'd pay to buy the game if it did have offline play... Managing security is an urban myth though

So it'd be easier for them to maintain security with an offline client with no way to monitor who is playing and how the code is being modified?

Also a large part of this game is the multiplayer/social element, how could this be implemented without everyone connecting to a server.
IGN:

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info