"We're going to need some more servers."

"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
Yogabba wrote:
It is always better in a situation like this to over estimate the amount of interest and scale down.

That's ok if it's not you paying for the servers :)

No it's great if it is the launch of your first game. Players are tired of launch snags and love to pounce on such matters so is the gaming media. This launch being flawless or at the very least not being plagued with server problems will be invaluable for the reputation of the game.
Last edited by Yogabba on Jan 18, 2013, 1:55:14 PM
"
The real question is: if they don't have the servers will any beta members help GGG and stay off for the first 6 hours?

Sorry, I plan to be here the second it goes live. Taking off work early.
I think that even with a crash in the servers the first 6 or however many hours wont hurt too too bad because there are already a large devoted community to the game. Word will spread that it it just server problems and NOT GAME MECHANIC problems like D3 had well, and still does, after the servers were repaired.

GGG woooooohhhhooooooo
"Beta"
i think the community will be much more understanding if PoE has early launch server errors than they were with D3, it makes sense if an indie f2p game from a small company can't stand a massive influx of new players, but in the case of the billion-dollar company Blizzard not properly preparing their servers when they knew it was a sequel to a very popular game, people were right to be disappointed

but of course, if GGG manages to keep it running smoothly (or running at all, really) during launch it will do wonders for the reputation of the game
[quote="Ludvator"]yes GGG fix lightspeed or i quit[/quote]
fun starts soon!
"
skinnay wrote:
i think the community will be much more understanding if PoE has early launch server errors than they were with D3, it makes sense if an indie f2p game from a small company can't stand a massive influx of new players, but in the case of the billion-dollar company Blizzard not properly preparing their servers when they knew it was a sequel to a very popular game, people were right to be disappointed

but of course, if GGG manages to keep it running smoothly (or running at all, really) during launch it will do wonders for the reputation of the game

In the case of blizzard,there was no excuse.They knew how many game copies would have sold,how smooth things would go(from open beta).

In the case of PoE,they dont know how many will come,but i estimate a minimum of 250k.Now the real problem will arise when they will need a lot more server power than that they estimated.Hope for the best
Bye bye desync!
I'd assume that at least 30% of the people who were going to play D3 at launch day will try to play this on launch day.
Not sure about specific numbers, but, I think these servers are going down.
Time will tell though, no reason for the company to preemptively over commit themselves to too many servers. If it game is broken on launch, I'm sure a small company will be able to sort it out very quickly. Something Blizzard was never very good at, despite their resources.
They should rent server space for the first few days/weeks.

Can one do that?
"
TheGiff wrote:
I'd assume that at least 30% of the people who were going to play D3 at launch day will try to play this on launch day.
Not sure about specific numbers, but, I think these servers are going down.
Time will tell though, no reason for the company to preemptively over commit themselves to too many servers. If it game is broken on launch, I'm sure a small company will be able to sort it out very quickly. Something Blizzard was never very good at, despite their resources.

Didnt D3 sell like 2.5m copies the first day, that would be like 800k people if we go after that estimation.
"
Jillys wrote:

Didnt D3 sell like 2.5m copies the first day, that would be like 800k people if we go after that estimation.

3.5m in the first 24 hours. Would be around 1.2m players, then. God, i hope we're overestimating here.
12/12/12 - the day Germany decided boys are not quite human.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info