2h mace mara build for HC. I need help!

Hell all, I'm pretty new to this game. I've only been playing for a couple weeks and still trying to figure some stuff out. I have no experience with the marauder but I want to play one when open beta comes around. This is my planned build.

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEABS0OPA_MEtkS4RQgFHEZLho-G1IhAiE0IVUn1SftKLUpLir2Mgk26DkOOlI7OzuMPfxAoEE_RLJQR1BQUeZUSVWpVgRXDVg9WGNdAF8_YEtgiGDEYVJyqXTtdu53U3rve4x8uHzZgSuDsYZgiI-Mz470kc6Uh5e0nCeexZ_LoJ2i6qZkpzCpGqlzrKqsurQvud277cEExFjG2MmY1I_ZYdw937LnUu4U7w7vTvGs8i_z3fZI9zL3vg==

I know I want to 2h maces. I have no idea what skills I want to go with though. I just really have no idea what I'm doing. I've looked at other builds and just kinda went with my own intuition when I plotted the skill tree out. Any tips for my build and playing a mara would be greatly appreciated!
I was looking at that big life node behind the mara starting point and thinking about going there. That will really help me survive. This is what i added.

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBAecCcQSzBS0OrRLhFCAUTRiRGNsZLhtSIWAkiyftKLUppS3SMgk26DpSOtg64TwtPQ9AoEE_Q5xEsk3jUEdQUFHmVElWBFcNWGNYr10AXz9gS2CIYVJs9nKpdO108XbueA16uHrvfLt82YZgiPGMz5HOnCeeuZ8-n8ugnaIAouqmV6cwqRqpaKlurFmsqq6TtC-18rc-ud277cT2xYrGrsbYyZjUj9lh37_nUudj7hTvDu9O8B_yL_JF8932SPcy977-Cv6P

I mainly just grabbed more life near templar and picked up the endurance charge nodes.

How useful is Iron Reflexes even with minimal evasion and how dangerous can blood magic be?
"
Hartkid wrote:
I was looking at that big life node behind the mara starting point and thinking about going there. That will really help me survive. This is what i added.

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBAecCcQSzBS0OrRLhFCAUTRiRGNsZLhtSIWAkiyftKLUppS3SMgk26DpSOtg64TwtPQ9AoEE_Q5xEsk3jUEdQUFHmVElWBFcNWGNYr10AXz9gS2CIYVJs9nKpdO108XbueA16uHrvfLt82YZgiPGMz5HOnCeeuZ8-n8ugnaIAouqmV6cwqRqpaKlurFmsqq6TtC-18rc-ud277cT2xYrGrsbYyZjUj9lh37_nUudj7hTvDu9O8B_yL_JF8932SPcy977-Cv6P

I mainly just grabbed more life near templar and picked up the endurance charge nodes.

How useful is Iron Reflexes even with minimal evasion and how dangerous can blood magic be?

Use iron reflex with grace to boost your defense.
With armor nodes you can boost your defense with iron reflex.
Even with minimal dex, a high level grace with iron reflex is like wearing another piece of chest armor.

Damage wise is either you go pure physical damage or auras with elemental damage or even both.
Dex is needed for gems like faster attack and grace, also it gives evasion which converts to armor with iron reflex.

If you are running auras you will need at least 90-100 int/dex for grace/wrath. (30 int/dex nodes are very accessible around marauder)

You typically need 6-8 cluster of life nodes unless u are hybrid.

I don't like to cast enduring cry because I find it inefficient to always cast it before attacking mobs unless you made a build around it.

Last edited by heatzz on Jan 18, 2013, 1:04:57 PM
Thank a lot, This really clears up a lot of question I had about making this character. Now I understand why I see IR so much. I didn't even think about the grace aura.
"
Hartkid wrote:
Thank a lot, This really clears up a lot of question I had about making this character. Now I understand why I see IR so much. I didn't even think about the grace aura.

Regarding your build, you don't really need Stun duration nodes, with a good attack speed weapon & Berserking node you could reach 2 attacks per second. So there's no need to to extra stun duration, Mace itself already has stun duration.

Here's my build:

Typical GS/Heavy Strike (Sweep/Lightning Strike/Leap Slam Adaptable).

Catalyses is very power if you just run Added Fire alone, even better with Anger/Wrath/Hatred.
I think I should be able to make a decent build off of the cookie cutter layout you've provided for me. I do have one more question though. Could I forgo the blood magic node and use my meager mana pool for auras or something; then use the blood magic support gem on skills I'll use a lot?
Later on when you got veeeeery good gear(many links = 5l, 6l) you WANT to dismiss bloodmagic node to work with bloodmagic gem for your main attack like groundslam and little auras like grace. Your then "free" mana pool you can use for big auras that use the "% of your pool". So yes you´re right =)
What can never be lent or earned?
Somewhat, that devours everyone and everything:
A tree that rush. A bird that sings. It eat bones and smite the hardest stones.
Masticate every sword. Shatters every shrine. It defeat mighty kings and carry mountains on lightly wings.
What am i?
"
Hartkid wrote:
I think I should be able to make a decent build off of the cookie cutter layout you've provided for me. I do have one more question though. Could I forgo the blood magic node and use my meager mana pool for auras or something; then use the blood magic support gem on skills I'll use a lot?

It's up to you, just remember that blood magic geming a skill just means you are lowering that skill dps.

Example: GS + Added Fire + WEP + Melee Physical Attack + Faster Attacks + Added Cold/Lightning/Chaos.
Unless I get some crazy ideas, I think this is roughly what I'll be working with.

I look forward to trying this new style of play in the open beta. All I've really done is ranged in the short time I played.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info