Any PoE fans into horror films/games?

I wouldn't consider Path of Exile a Horror ARPG aside from the dark and gritty setting.

I get creeped out easily by certain horror films/games. Especially those with cheap jump scares. There is also something about "asian horror" that scares the crap out of me more than a "western horror" would.

But there are some really intriguing concepts to some horror films. Not those generic Friday the 13th or Texas Chainsaw 3D, but something different.

1) The human centipede 1 & 2
2) Cabin in the woods
3) American Horror Story (series)

For horror games, I remember how I never got past the beginning of Resident Evil when I was really young. F.E.A.R was also really creepy for me because of atma so I never got past the demo after seeing her run past me a couple of times and disappearing into thin air.
texas chainsaw is creepy to me becaus ei have hitchicked this country and there are towns like that for real.

but i like the silent hill games i have played 1 2 and 3 on a tiny comidore 64 monitor in the dark.
IGN- Isiander
YES!

I love me some Asian Horror films (A Tale of Two Sisters, Noroi: The Curse, Kairo). Just a few that stick out and I highly recommend watching. As for Western Horror films, nothing really stands out for me besides the classics (The Exorcist, The Shining, Psycho etc...).

As for Horror games, I enjoyed quite a lot of them:
Resident Evil series (up until 3 only)
Silent Hill
Clock Tower
Dead Space series
Alan Wake
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Penumbra series

The list goes on...
IGN: Bhang
I love horror movies!

But i am quite picky about them. In general i hate jumpscare. That is the most cheap way to scare someone, if you dont know how to do it right. And i dont like movies that show so much gore or perversions just be able to say "watch me, because i am revolting (but norhing more)". Human centipede is a good example for that. Or the saw movies.
For me good horror doesnt have to show gore. It can work, but most of the times it is in a movie because there is not much horror beside of that.

Asian horror is difficult. I love the ideas and how their horror "work", but i cant get over the asian cinematography. Slow and often with overacting. Loved the Hollywood version of "the Ring", though.

horror movies i really like:
-Silent Hill 1+2 (they are so surreal and out of the world)
-The thing (monster horror done right)
-the mouth of madness (yes, i like carpenter)
-Cabin in the woods (because of the wink to whole genre)
-American horror story (AWESOME TV series)
-Alien I (one of my top 5 movies of all time)
-The ring
-The mist (although its stephen king, but i like it especially for the ending)
-The cube movies (although getting worse quickly, they are very unique and show an interesting setting)

That are one taht just came to my mind. Would be great if someone has a few recommendations.
I actually just started playing The Walking Dead story games on Steam, might I say that they're absolutely amazing.

My mother is more of a horror film/game player than I am though, I don't think there's a Resident Evil or Silent Hill game that she hasn't completed 100%.
Cabin in the Woods is awesome. Probably one of my favorite movies ever. As far as games go I have not played much horror but I do have Amnesia on steam for when I get to it.
my favorite horror movies are

1. Grave Encounters 1 and 2
2. Rec 1, 2 and 3

Games

1. Resident Evil 1. 2 and 3
2. Condemned and 2
3. F.E.A.R 1 and 2
Amnesia.. Nuff said! :) Horror movies are a joke they always make me laugh and so unrealistic to my eyes... the last movie to ever scare and when i was like 13 or 14 was the Chucky franchise lol..
Gangsters Paradise..[url=http://steamsignature.com][img]http://steamsignature.com/img/profile/76561198053853558.png[/img][/url]
I love me some good horror movies, but I'm more into psychological horror than into gorn. It's all in your braaaain! Er, mind.

Though I don't mind gruesome displays - but they have to make sense story- or atmosphere-wise, and not be put in there gratuitously (well, unless it's a good/campy B-movie like Braindead, tokyo Gore Police or Robo Geisha!). I find that many Japanese/Korean horror films are far creepier than anything from the West. May be because they're more concerned with the psychological side than with the physiological.

Some films I like:
- The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre from 1974, Partly because of the real filming conditions. There is a reason why the dinner scene is so hard to watch. Because they ain't faking that crazy.
- Ringu
- Uzumaki
- Dark Water
- The Thing (original from 1982, though the recent prequel is decent)
- Alien and Aliens
- Orphan
- El Orfanato / The Orphanage
- Dagon (Indie film about Lovecraft's Shadow Over Innsmouth)
- Carrie (again, the original)
- Shutter (NOT the US version)

Some games I like:
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent
- Silent Hill 2 (Da. I do like the movie, too)
- Undying
- System Shock 2
- The Secret World. It's an MMO, but it has some very creepy and unsettling parts.
- (Doom 3 and Dead Space, though they're mostly jump scares, which I don't like too much)
12/12/12 - the day Germany decided boys are not quite human.
"
Avireyn wrote:
I love me some good horror movies, but I'm more into psychological horror than into gorn. It's all in your braaaain! Er, mind.
- Ringu
- The Thing (original from 1982, though the recent prequel is decent)
- Alien
- El Orfanato / The Orphanage

We have pretty similar taste in horror.

The scariest film I've watched to date is El Orfanato. I'm going to pop it into the player again this weekend to see if it still warrants that title, but the first time I watched it, I had chills down my spine every time I heard a noise in my home.

The Abandoned was another good one that hasn't been listed yet. I thought the original Rec was pretty good too, but that relied on jump scares. I can't think of any more off the top of my head at the moment. Maybe I'll go through my collection at home and I'll post up again if I can find a few more titles I would recommend.

I've watched many, many horror and gore flicks. I've learned most North American produced movies aren't the same calibre as European or Asian horror in terms of getting underneath my skin and really disturbing me. Jump scares and special effects are very superficial and I find it's easy to shake off any sense of foreboding. But when the story is cohesive and the stage is set up correctly, your mind can sometimes jump off that diving board right into the deep end. That's when you begin to sleep at night with the light on... ;-)
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."
Last edited by Garr0t on Jan 16, 2013, 5:41:58 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info