[HC/Nemesis] Scion FP tank

So I have not made this character yet, but I am going to this weekend. I already have all the currency/items I will need to make this build, but I just wanted a little feed back. Pretty sure this is going to be a very powerful build.

Kripp's old FP tank gave me the idea to do this. I will layout the progression I plan on doing and talk about how it is going when I start the build.

Final Build Update:

The Build Progression (less optimized. Does not run 3 auras unless get less crit and has no life regen)
Spoiler
LvL 30 with killing Oak and side quests to A3

LvL 40 with all quests done and ready for Cruel

LvL 50 with all quests and killing oak ready for A3 Cruel

LvL 60 not doing side quests in A1 merc yet but in A2 Merc.

LvL 65 in A3 Merc and done no side quests.

LvL 75 having done all side quests and ready for maps now.

End Game LvL 86 without Taryns

End Game LvL 86 with Taryns. Little less life and need 9 Dex for GMP

End Game LvL 91 filling back in the points we took out for Taryns.

Leveling Progression:
Spoiler
In my opinion, spec throw with a 2 hander is by far the fastest leveling. Geofri can be used and then Rigvald's sword. You will have a little damage upgrade to your spec throw because of the projectile nodes we took first. Freeze pulse will not be used until ~lvl 60. Be leveling all of the gems needed to use your FP so you can immediately switch. Pick up the +30 int nodes near iron reflexes and marauder to level your int req gear. Unspec them later with quest rewards. Any other twink items will be used of course (goldrim, wanderlust, etc). This route gets A LOT of life and you should not have to worry about how tanky you are.

If wanting to use FP the whole time, try and obtain a Lifesprig or a +1 wand with spell damage, If a non quality FP is used, a proj speed wand is a must. Use FP, LMP(GMP), Added Light. You will kill fast but not as fast as the spec throw route. You MUST pick up the +30 int nodes along the way or you will not be able to use your gear unless you opt to go to shadow earlier.

Skill Gem Setup
Spoiler
5L(6L): FP, GMP(LMP), BM, LL, Cold Pen, (FC,PCoC, Added Light, etc)
4L: Freeze Mine, Ele Prolif, BM, (Cold Pen, Inc AoE)
4L: Red Mana, Grace, Determination, Vitality
4L: BM, Decoy Totem, Enduring Cry, Ele Weakness(Frost Bite)
Without Kaoms 4L: Ice Spear, BM, PCoC, FC
Without Taryns: Your 5L should be armor and 3L wand with Ice Spear, BM, PCoC

Gem Quality of Importance:
Spoiler
FP: Grants projectile speed. Most important out of all gems.
GMP(LMP) or FC: Quality on them both do the same thing.
LL: Grants faster leech
Cold Pen: Grants more damage
PCoC: Higher chance for a charge
Ele Prolif: Grants longer freeze with your freeze mine
If static blows is used instead of charges, Added Lightning: Grants chance to shock

Bandits:
Normal - Save Oak or Kill all (I opt to kill all because I think 40 life is marginal)
Cruel - Kill all
Merc - Save either Oak or Alira (still debating about power charges)

As you have seen by now if you have read through everything, I am not certain whether or not to opt for power charges or static blows and Added lightning. As of right now I am leaning towards using charges because it will just up my damage so much, but a 6L or spamming Ice spear with PCoC to obtain charges will have to be used. The tree is right by 2 charges to pick up as well so they would be very easy to pick up and dropping crit chance on the tree because power charges grant more crit chance.

If I obtain a Kaom's, I would have to drop freeze mine as well (which is an amazing tool to use on high level maps on bosses) or use PCoC on my 6L.

Any feed back is welcome. This build can be used as a cheaper build (not using Kaoms or Taryns and just use a 5L chest). Obviously if these are obtained, your damage and survivability will drastically improve. Order of importance of the two is definitely Taryns so that a 5L/6L can be used and then getting a Kaoms (which is not an easy feat for most people.. I already have both so that is why I show the build by using both).

Good luck! This build is going to be a lot of fun in my opinion!

Edit 1: After sharing the build with my friends, one was concerned about the low base life (str and +life) added through passives. Concerned because FP has to be really close to mobs to do full dmg. Will need to look into some changes if I find this out at higher levels. Currently not planning on using FP till ~lvl 60.
Last edited by NeOZealouS on Dec 10, 2013, 2:05:24 AM
Just started last night for an hour. Lvl 23 currently using spec throw. Got a wurms molt to help with mana problems due to having low mana while running hatred.

I can't tell whether the old leveling I used of stormcloud and RoA till lvl 30 is faster or spec throw. Currently using limbsplit - spec throw, lmp, added fire. Will use geofri's at 28.. guessing my damage will sky rocket then.

Will keep posting my progress. Expecting to be level 70 by saturday. Was slow to start because wanted to hit 85 on my SA Ranger
Hey man, looks like a pretty nice build to me. Currently running Witch Crit FP and I hate being stuck up at the top of the tree.

I read your friend's comment about having low life and expected to pull up some noob build with 80% increased life but I actually like it quite a bit! Lucky Scions with their health ring..
Thanks man! Ya the build is very solid imo and is very viable for HC/Nemesis. By the offline skill calculator the inc life is at 320 and base life at 200 which is very strong. He was thinking I needed inc life of minimum of 340 and inc base life of 300+. He said that because of Kripp's old build.

I debate against that though because Kripp's old build had a lot of different things going on. The added life per level was only 6 (and now its 8) and ran A TON of auras and he DID NOT run iron reflexes. With running iron reflexes AND determination and 4 (maybe 5.. haven't decided yet) endurance charges, I will have massive dmg reduc.

All is pretty theory craft as of right now as I said that I am just currently leveling. I won't really get into the core of the build until ~lvl 65.

As I said, I'll keep this thread updated. I will be doing a 36 hour playing marathon Friday - Saturday, so I should be ~lvl 75 - 80 (depending on my rng on maps and not having a huge map pool already =[ )

Cheers
Leveled up to 72 this weekend.. Would have gotten much higher but decided to map on my main a lot. Found a problem with the build.

There is no life regen at all. Updated the build to be able to run 3 auras (the third being vitality)

The more survivability but little less dmg. Basically take away the starting spell dmg and cast speed at scion.

The build is strictly for Taryn's now.

Also found out that the build would be more optimized for Shadow, but due to not wanting to reroll, just gonna have a little bit less damage. If rolled as a shadow, you would use 1 more skill point and take out the projectile damage at scion. Going scion is safer for leveling because you get all the life first and Iron reflexes super early.

For this build, 3 auras is a must because we need to run vitality. Without it, you have NO LIFE REGEN. This makes chaos dmg maps not fun and having no life regen is a bad thing in general.
Last edited by NeOZealouS on Dec 10, 2013, 2:07:25 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info