2H tanky marauder endgame - Gslam vs Sweep?

Hello everyone,

im a huge fan of the game and cant wait to play OBT with ym friends, now my Hardcore progaming days are over and the reason why i play is pure enjoyment and chit chat with my friends, so i guess its something between HC and casual.

The reason I say this is so u could understand my question. I want to play marauder for sure and i already made my own build which works kinda fine till lvl 60 or so. But i have a huge decision to make, Gslam or sweep? I dont want to play a class just because its strong and OP, if I wanted that, i would have picked ranged class with lighting or elemental shot and faceroll the whole endgame content, but I want to play melee even though its inferior to ranged, i want to play it because its FUN and challenging.

Now i know a 2H tanky is a must, shield and mace kinda sucks, so should I level up LEAP & SWEEP or is phase run and Gslam better? Gslam seems kinda boring, just walk to the end of the crowd, turn around and hold the button with endurance charges and warlord mark on. Sweep is harder to maintain your health i guess,

what do you think? what are the disadvantages and advantages of each? whats the dps and AoE difference?

Thanks so much my friends, and see you around :)
-Beowulf
cmon guys, any ideas or suggestions would be highly appreciated, i cant give out cookies and milk like diamond members but i sure can show some love =D
you do know that you answered your own question right?
"
dreadnate wrote:
you do know that you answered your own question right?

i am not aware of that, i may have suggested some arguments that may answer my question, but i asked about AoE and damage differences between those spells and mechanics and playstyle :)
Also looking into GS/Cleave/Sweep for an OB marauder build.

I'm planning on going 1h+shield, so that rules out Sweep, but still comparing all three. They all have pretty similar damage, so that part is moot.

Ground Slam (I believe) has a the longest reach, but the area is a cone, so you don't necessarily get mobs adjacent to you. This means it could require more work with regards to pulling packs and positioning, but can keep you out of melee range for most of what you're hitting. Cleave and Sweep look like they need mobs clustered near you in melee range, though I've only played with them a little bit.

Another big consideration is the weapon types. GS needs a mace or staff, Cleave is axe or sword, and Sweep is axe, mace or staff. Looking at each weapon type:

Sword: Implicit stats give accuracy or crit, which are only useful if you don't take RT. I'm going for RT to avoid needing Dex, so that's out (for me). Could still be for a crit build. Requires Dex.

Axe: Similar DPS to swords, with slightly lower APS. Requires Dex, but less than swords.

Mace: Lower DPS than swords or axes, same APS as axes. Increased stun is a nice bonus, but nothing special. Only requires Str.

Staff: Same DPS as maces, but come with block %. Requires Int.

I don't want to worry about Dex or Int, so I think I'm going Ground Slam with a 1h mace. An axe with Sweep or Cleave would give a bit more DPS, but needs Dex. For 2h, a staff would be good for defense, but needs a bunch of Int. A sword with Sweep/Cleave would give the highest DPS if you went for a crit build.
Thanks nepharis, i kind of knew that but could not make up my mind if sweep or Gslam , i wanna use a 2H mace RT, BM, and i got my build planned, however, do you have any idea what is the DPS difference between sweep and gslam? maybe percentage-wise?
thanks for your post anyway!!! :)) much appreciated
http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Ground_Slam

http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Sweep

Nearly identical damage per hit, 70% + 4%/lvl with GS versus 75% + 3%/lvl with Sweep. GS will be more at higher levels, but not by much.

Not sure about attack speed, though... Both are based on attack speed, but could have different multipliers. Worth checking out. One possible bonus for Sweep is that +quality gives you attack speed, versus stun duration (boooriiiing) for GS. If you ended up finding a good quality Sweep (or sinking lots of GCPs into it), maxing out quality would give a nice +10% attack speed.

So yeah, pretty similar. Maybe give them a try this week, since they're both available so early in the game. I'd say go with whatever feels better in terms of AoE control.
If you use a mace you can just level up both gems at the same time. Then decide what you want to use later. GS feels more safe than sweep and ive used both. Maybe when your defensive stats are really high sweep will be more convenient. Also phase run wont be in open beta, plus from OB footage it seems areas are harder in general and enemies hit harder because they are higher level. So GS will probably be safer.
ign:SerCleavy

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info