Dave/Kripp's 400 str Ethereal Knives Maraader

Starts around 1:15 in.

http://www.twitch.tv/nl_kripp/b/356604603

Here is a build he put together. I added Dervish


Seems pretty faceroll, assuming EK is any good.

Dual Wield is huge on EK based builds. Spell damage and projectile speed will stack, unlike regular attacking where damage is independent.

Max spell damage is 20, but 18% can be had on wands with 146 intelligence requirement.
Last edited by TheAmaranthine on January 14, 2013 2:45 AM
If I were going to try this build (which I am), I would not go into the templar starting area. It just doesn't seem worth it to me... 6 cast speed and less mana cost and life? You can get life elsewhere, more mana cost reduction can be grabbed near arcane efficiency. you only lose 6 cast speed which i dont really think is worth traveling that far. Just an idea.
IGN: Crux_EK - Lv. 87 Ethereal Knives EB/MoM/IR Shadow (Standard)
IGN: Crux_CST - Lv. 83 Spectral Crit Acrobatics Shadow (Ambush)

+30 flat life and 1% life regeneration are quite good in the templar start area. Cast speed and reduced skill cost are just icing, i guess.

EDIT: How's the spell damage stacking different for dual-wielding?
Last edited by XaHyPuK on January 13, 2013 11:29 PM
You are not dual wielding for spell damage stacking. ES shields can have high Spell Damage mods. The real reason for Dual Wielding, and specifically wands, is the faster projectiles mod which only wands can have.

Faster projectiles increase the range of EK since it is a spell.
IGNs-
Gyeff // Greff // Gyaff
"
geffreyy wrote:
You are not dual wielding for spell damage stacking. ES shields can have high Spell Damage mods. The real reason for Dual Wielding, and specifically wands, is the faster projectiles mod which only wands can have.

Faster projectiles increase the range of EK since it is a spell.


I see. So another reason might be the fact that you wouldn't gain much from using an ES shield on a Marauder with mass Armor and HP.

It's going to be hilarious if some of the best characters are dual wielding Marauders using spells.

I read some more discussion of this build elsewhere (http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/64929), and someone suggested using the Blood Magic Support Gems rather than the passive. This could allow you to use %mana auras while still avoiding the high mana cost. This seems reasonable, until the links start to get out of control and each cast is over 300 HP.

Optimal 4 link is always going to be:

Faster Projectiles, Faster Casting, Life Leech, Iron Will.

110% * 120% * 130% * 100% = 176% mana cost

Possible 5th links:

Blood Magic 176% * 205% = 360%

282% Concentrated Effect

264% Cold, Fire, or Lightning Penetration

352% Chain

220% Fork

6th Links?:

Totem?

Item Quantity?

Reduced Mana?
Last edited by TheAmaranthine on January 14, 2013 8:26 AM
Added fire dmg should be a very strong support gem for EK. I believe Kripp mentioned this as well.

Also, don't forget they were considering the alpha changes (subject to change yet but it's smart to take it into consideration). That's also why they didn't plan on running lots of auras, actually Hatred and Grace were the only ones mentioned.
Last edited by Unimatrix on January 14, 2013 10:46 AM
"
Unimatrix wrote:
Added fire dmg should be a very strong support gem for EK. I believe Kripp mentioned this as well.

Also, don't forget they were considering the alpha changes (subject to change yet but it's smart to take it into consideration). That's also why they didn't plan on running lots of auras, actually Hatred and Grace were the only ones mentioned.


I couldn't figure that out. I don't see much of a difference between added fire vs any other element. I think he may have just been thinking of the aura's.

For the auras he was planning on flat mana cost instead of % mana cost because of the way blood magic works (reserving 30% of your hp is a bad idea). That limits him to Grace and Anger.

I think you could swing something where you don't take the Blood Magic Passive and just attach a Blood Magic support to the flat mana aura's.

One 4 socket item would have Anger/Grace/Reduced Mana/Blood Magic. Then another 4 socket item would have Purity/Hatred/Haste/Reduced Mana. That leaves both your 3 socket wands, and another 4 socket item for totems/curses/etc.
Last edited by TheAmaranthine on January 14, 2013 12:13 PM
Actually 'Added Fire Dmg' is for the support gems, what 'Hatred' is for the auras: It adds no flat dmg but adds a percentage of your phys. dmg as fire (cold for 'Hatred'). That's the only one working with a spell (same as the aura).
Last edited by Unimatrix on January 14, 2013 12:11 PM
"
Unimatrix wrote:
Actually 'Added Fire Dmg' is for the support gems, what 'Hatred' is for the auras: It adds no flat dmg but adds a percentage of your phys. dmg as fire (cold for 'Hatred'). That's the only one working with a spell (same as the aura).


Good call. Definitely the best one to use. 40% of EK damage is way more than the cold/lightning gems.

Lols, if you get -10% skill cost you can run all 4 % based auras.
Last edited by TheAmaranthine on January 14, 2013 12:24 PM
Yes it is. But it is, like I said, the only one actually working with it. A shame since lightning dmg would be superior as usual. But spells cannot benefit from flat dmg increases.

Actually scratch that, that is only true for auras and not the support gems. My bad.

And yeah, those mana cost reduce should work nicely. And Kripp actually got the Templar ones as well as Arcane Efficiency - so make that 20%!
Last edited by Unimatrix on January 14, 2013 12:29 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info