Any reason not to create hardcore characters?

A friend of mine is going to play with me and being noobs one of us is going to die in a hurry and we do not have time to cache up to the other. So why not start in Default and keep it consistent.
"
exorzist wrote:
but he is right.
i also always thought that HC was too much for me.
but then i participated in one of those solo races just for fun. managed to stay alive and after the race kept on playing the hc character until lvl 67. died on a map because of my own fault.

i was a big upset losing that character. paused for like 2 hours and reflected what went wrong. tried to learn from that experience and mistake.

although my hard earned former hc character was still available now in the default league. i had absolutely no pleasure playing him.

i rolled a new hc character. lvl 35 already...

once you dive into HC and have your first milestones reached (survive brutus in every difficulty etc), HC gets addicted.

I cannot imagine rolling a SC character ever (!) again.

*shrug*

If you like it you like it, to each their own I 'spose.

I'm not going to roll a HC character outside of a race, ever.
Closed beta member since: March 19, 2012
"
exorzist wrote:
although my hard earned former hc character was still available now in the default league. i had absolutely no pleasure playing him.

its a big hole you fall in, if in one moment your char wents from (say) rank ~100 (in HC) to meaningless (in default) ^^

"
f3rret wrote:
I'm not going to roll a HC character outside of a race, ever.

I may get used to delete a race char from a 3h event, but why in the world should I not keep a char after a week of gaining XP? There are different kinds of events, you know? ;)
If you can stay alive and build up a char to be viable at least until ruthless under race conditions, why not stay there?
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
How can one truly get into a game when there are no consequences for your actions.

Trying to balance your character in such a way that enables you to survive makes this game so much more complex and entertaining. Actually listening to monsters walking around in adjacent rooms in a dark dungeon because your afraid of dying is so awesome.
"
exorzist wrote:
but he is right.
i also always thought that HC was too much for me.
but then i participated in one of those solo races just for fun. managed to stay alive and after the race kept on playing the hc character until lvl 67. died on a map because of my own fault.

i was a big upset losing that character. paused for like 2 hours and reflected what went wrong. tried to learn from that experience and mistake.

i rolled a new hc character. lvl 35 already...

once you dive into HC and have your first milestones reached (survive brutus in every difficulty etc), HC gets addicted.

I cannot imagine rolling a SC character ever (!) again.

Welcome to the fold Brother/Sister lol.
Beyond_Bow_BobMKIII Level 80 Tornado Shot Scion
"
Omnivore61 wrote:
Biggest reason not to start in hardcore: it's addictive as hell and you'll never find softcore satisfying after playing hardcore awhile.

Yup, few years ago I cannot imagine why people would play HC.

Now, I just can't play any game without HC or at least full loot..

Current system can really improve the number of people trying it. That's nice.
Last edited by Puckz on Jan 9, 2013, 11:00:57 AM
I see no downside to starting out as a HC char :)

and i really like the "league dropdown" system GGG made.
There is no downside at all in PoE to play Hardcore.

As for the whole SC vs HC debate. Hardcore is just so much more rewarding and fun. In softcore you can just go glass cannon and mindlessly grind content with no risk whatsoever.

On hardcore on the other hand the game plays totally diffidently. You are always supper careful and you must be focused a lot more than usual - so the game becomes more immersive. Mistakes have consequences. Overall it's just much more rewarding experience IMO.
A reason to play SC is for wacky builds that have to sacrifice survivability to work.
For example a Templar built around Leap Slam with added cold damage, increased AoE and a high crit chance to trigger freezing.
Completely unviable for HC but potentially fun for a laugh.
Tin foil hats are a lie propagated by the aluminium industry.
Better to have people IN HC, if it wasn't like this it would end-up like Diablo III where no one even plays HC.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info