Any reason not to create hardcore characters?

Since you just get moved to softcore when you die, which is where'd you be anyway if you had just started in softcore, is there any reason why you wouldn't want to just always start in hardcore? I guess I can see some people maybe not wanting the added pressure or anxiety, but is there any reason that's part of the game design?

Also, sort of related, when you have a character that's died and been moved to softcore, does it show somewhere that it was originally hardcore, and can you see what progress you made before you died and what killed you?
The reason its there is to allow people to try HC and see if they like it...those that do tend to delete and re-roll. Also you loose access to anything you had in your HC stash when you die and are sent to Default. No the only thing that remains of your HC existence is your stash.
Beyond_Bow_BobMKIII Level 80 Tornado Shot Scion
But you can even take your stash with you by loading a char and then suiciding ...
"
pinback wrote:
But you can even take your stash with you by loading a char and then suiciding ...

You don't know when you will die. You can die in forest lvl 50 and lose all items from stash.
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Everything is harder to trade for in hardcore because items/currency/gems are removed from the item pool when someone dies. It's usually easier to find what you want in softcore through trading.
"
kamil1210 wrote:
"
pinback wrote:

You don't know when you will die. You can die in forest lvl 50 and lose all items from stash.

What I meant was: You can then create a new character, load it with the items from your stash and send this character to softcore along with the items from your stash.

This way you still have access to the stuff you put in your stash, even though it is now all in softcore.
Biggest reason not to start in hardcore: it's addictive as hell and you'll never find softcore satisfying after playing hardcore awhile.
The thing is: if you are not experienced in playing hardcore (read: playing always the safe option in any case), then you will die. Depending on how fast you 'learn', you should even get used to die...

If you luckily managed to be so good that you 'loose' a lot of progress when your char get parted from the HC league, you must decide between 'real' HC (read: try again from scratch) or 'soft' HC (which may mean you keep the char for some reasons, or even to completely switch your stacked gear to default - which isnt HC anymore then)

I'm a MEDIUMCORE player too ^^ - and IMHO the real question is another: What forces you to GO the HC way (if you're not count yourself as a 'pro')?

-if you play it well (dont die), its easier to reach a nice rank
-(good) things you found are worth more (smaller market)
-it adds an extra thrill to have always maximum attention to all aspects of the game; any little thing may be dangerous! (if this thrill really pleases and infects you, you probably on the best way to become a pro player - at least in your thinking ;)

and the basic reason to start your HC experience (and the point where I jumped in):
-the very most of the events run in HC mode.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
"
Omnivore61 wrote:
Biggest reason not to start in hardcore: it's addictive as hell and you'll never find softcore satisfying after playing hardcore awhile.

Never played hardcore, never intend to.

I find softcore plenty satisfying, PoE is a lovely skinner box and I like it very much.
Closed beta member since: March 19, 2012
but he is right.
i also always thought that HC was too much for me.
but then i participated in one of those solo races just for fun. managed to stay alive and after the race kept on playing the hc character until lvl 67. died on a map because of my own fault.

i was a big upset losing that character. paused for like 2 hours and reflected what went wrong. tried to learn from that experience and mistake.

although my hard earned former hc character was still available now in the default league. i had absolutely no pleasure playing him.

i rolled a new hc character. lvl 35 already...

once you dive into HC and have your first milestones reached (survive brutus in every difficulty etc), HC gets addicted.

I cannot imagine rolling a SC character ever (!) again.
Live Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/menthur
Twitter: https://twitter.com/CMenthur

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info