Need some psychological advice for a HC death

So,

a fews days back, when the solo HC races were running, I thought to myself "why not give it a try". And I did.

Managed to stay alive and reached lvl18. Since then kept playing only my HC character.

Today, my lvl 67 Marauder died on a map while soloing it due to my own fault. My actual problem even isn't that he died. It's the fact that my first ever HC character had incredible gear (selffound!). Even better than my SC char. I dealt more dmg and had more life and survability than my lvl 78 Marauder on SC, when you consider playing HC for the first time, and I doubt I'll find that gear again.

Example my weapon, which was still exaltable, I had no orb found yet:

Spoiler
Unavailable

So my question to all of you experienced HC dudes. What advice can you give me? How can I motivate myself to roll a new HC char? How do you deal with death?

Thanks ...

a kinda sad HC noob
Live Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/menthur
Twitter: https://twitter.com/CMenthur
Last edited by exorzist on Jan 8, 2013, 10:10:54 PM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Well what you do is tell yourself that everything will be okay SINCE OPEN BETA IS IN 14 DAYS AND IT WILL BE WIPED ANYWAY.

I have shed a few tears myself though, tough times mate.
I feel you.
Still alive.. are we?
It's fine. I mean, you just keep trying right? It's a game. If your character dies, it just moves to Softcore. No big deal. If you can survive all the way to maps in HC, that's great, you just keep going and see how long you can make that character survive.

You're going to start a new character again anyway, eventually right? So why not make that character on HC. And why not see where it leads?
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
http://youtu.be/lsSC2vx7zFQ

Watch this video. Then tell me you don't want Hardcore.

You're welcome :)
Dr.Wrae says-get back on the horse.
I think with the way that leagues are set up, that starting in HC is the most fun. Even if you typically play softcore, you have nothing to lose really as your character gets moved there if it dies. Just look at it like a bonus, the longer you survive in HC the more of a bonus and thrill it will be.

On the flip side, you can take a crap ton more risks in softcore. Since hc tactics tend to be more conservative than sc, it can sometimes be more boring. While hc is fun, I do like putting myself in situations where I have no business coming out on top, but trying anyway. I find it to be as satisfying beating a borderline unwinnable situation.

So, play both, don't be an elitist that thinks because they only play HC that they are actually more hardcore.
I died last night on Alpha HC. All you can do is roll a joint, make some coffee, delete the character, and start again before you have time to reflect on your loss. You'll get back into the swing of it in no time :D
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
I died last night on Alpha HC. All you can do is roll a joint, make some coffee, delete the character, and start again before you have time to reflect on your loss. You'll get back into the swing of it in no time :D

Solid advice.
+1
Still alive.. are we?
Ya typically just take a breather, maybe watch something, eat something, do some shots and then get back in the game.
Beyond_Bow_BobMKIII Level 80 Tornado Shot Scion
You dont just level one hardcore character. You level a whole bunch of them. Have a main. and have your mules. so to speak.

Think of them as fallbacks. That way losing your main doesnt hurt as much.

as an example. when you reach the merciless milestone around level 40. go create a new character and play him. for one. youre still finding items on the new guy. like Currency etc. and two, not playing on your main means he'll be alive longer. Maybe that lucky alc you just found on your new char is your lvl 40s savior.

also keep a character you like and then let him/her live in softcore. That way when you die you can always try salvage something n make a badass SC character
Smoother than Smooth.
Last edited by Moist on Jan 8, 2013, 10:56:08 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info