Set the world aflame: Avatar of fire BA build (inlcuding main build and high end version)

Welcome to my burning arrow scion build

I decided to have 2 build descriptions in here because I believe that the build itself does pretty well without very expensive gear.

However, I now achieved to accumulate/craft some very nice gear and if you are interested in the "what could be possible" version I also provide you with information on my current set-up under
"High end version"

Main build (lvl79) and my interpretation of unleashing the fire:
This section is focused on the main idea of the build and not very expensive gear.

Short re-cap:
I took aof at around lvl 52 (first down to IR, than iron grip, than up to aof).
After Aof I went for the aura nodes to run 2 auras and then mainly defensive points till lvl ~70
Than the projectile nodes at the dualist area

levelling:
The only issue I had during levelling was dominus in cruel because (as I always tend to do) started too early to invest in ES.... pick up some more life nodes and respec out of them later is probably safer....

Detailed description in the spoiler tag(s)
Spoiler

Main idea behind the build: burn the bastards!
and be able to sustain some decent amount of damage will the world is aflame
The longer we are alive, the longer shall they burn!

Some stats:
Spoiler

Life ~2.5k (2.8 k without aura)
Es 2k
Armour 10k
base life regen 3% (8% with blood dance)
mana regen ~30/sec

Auras:
Spoiler

Discipline and grace on mana
lvl 4 clarity on life

Bandits:
Spoiler

Get the mana, get thev phys, get the frenzy charge
Especially the mana is very useful since mana is an issue for this build

The build:
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAAdwB5wJxBLMIsRQgFE0XLxo4G_okiyXfJ-0ppTJ-NZI26DpSOtg8LT0PP_xBh0NjRmlHfkrITdhOKlBHVdZX4livWPVaGlpSZOdlTWaeapNuaW6qcU1253fleA18u4CkgW-E2YcpiPGMdpBVms-bXZ3EnjyezaIApBmnMKeEqJqpbqvFrFmvjbXytkG3Mbc-voq-p8APwBrEFcS4xPbGrs2Y0k3V7dX43sbnY-hm6mLsOPAf8pfzcfPd-ej60v4K

Some key stones:
Iron grip
Iron reflexes

Skill description links etc:

Spoiler

Main attack:
Burning arrow+ chance to ignite+ elemental prolif + fire penetration+ weapon elemental damage

Utility attack:
Split arrow + chain + curse on hit + flammability
(saves around 50% of curse mana costs and still does "some" damage)

secondary utility:
frenzy to generate/keep charges (not always needed)

some times:
Bear trap (is now 100% fire and can be useful against single big targets... rarely used)

Defensive skills:
1.)
Devouring totem (linke to BM to be able to get a cast even if we are out of mana) to get more life and mana regen as well as to give the mobs an additional target.

2.)
Cast on damage taken lvl 4 linked to:
enduring cry lvl 7(more def)
Enfeeble lvl 7 (reduced damage output of annoying mods)
summon skellies lvl 9 (to distract some attacks)

Gear:
Spoiler

Most important stuff on gear:
Black gleam for 100% phys to fire
Life/res as usual
ES
Weapon elemental damage, or phys
Blood dance for extra 5% life regen, attack speed, run speed etc.

How to play:
Spoiler

classic:
split arrow cursing in the pack. Ignite them with burning arrow, alternate.

support:
use devouring totem in the end of the last fight (or middle of the fight) to get more regen
or in the beginning of the fight to distract the monsters.

Def:
cast when damage taken procs at around 1/3 of ES gone.
Enfeeble will overwrite flammability but at this point it is better to stay alive.
In any case 1-2 split arrow shoots will re-curse with flammability.
Also the skellies are very helpful in avoiding a few attacks, with my defense auras they also stay alive surprisingly long.

Frenzy charges:
Normally blood dance are sufficient to keep 5 frenzy charges up. In large packs no problem.
If needed I have a frenzy to get them up "manually".

Finishing comments on the main build (lvl 79, with decent but not too expensive gear):
no fire res mobs melt down before they know what happened
fire res mobs are annoying.... but we are tanky enough even if the fights takes forever ;)
large packs are lovely!
strong single target guys are sometimes a bit annoying but they will burn sooner or later
Elemental reflect: have done a 68 map with 18% ele-relfect and besides the fact that I proc cast on damage taken myself it is not an issue.

The build is running in domination pretty well.
Not sure if it works in hardcore, but with some modifications I think the numbers are not too bad

I would say the build is not very expensive and I enjoy a lot to play it.
lvl 66-69 maps are not an issue.

High end version (lvl 81)

Here you can find my current set-up. I believe the build including the gear is 99.5% final
Not yet sure about one support gem.
Concerning gear: a bit more chaos res would be nice but I am very happy with the current status
Of course there are always GG items but I am not planning to get them and neither do I need them.

changes, gear, and tree in the spoiler tag(s)
Spoiler

Changes:
Spoiler
The build has very few changes compared to the main build:
I took the 40% mana regen at the start of the scion to sustain my mana cost
I took Zealot's oath to gain Es regen

The main changes are:

I managed to 6s 5l my bow (with ~350 jews, ~100 whetstones and 18 fusings)
I was able to get my hands on a solid 6L chest.
As well as a new helm and belt

So for the 6L I use at the moment:
Burning arrow+weapon elemental+chance to ignite+prolif+added fire damage+fire penetration

(just a decent damage increase compared to the 5L I used before. Not sure if I am happy with the setup, maybe I will swap "chance to ignite" for increased burning damage or the "new support with more phys damage on bows". Currently I do 2-5k fire damage per hit)

On my Bow I use:
split arrow+ chain+ curse on hit+ flammability+ life gain on hit

This life gain on hit allows me to use Es regen

Tree:

Gear:
Spoiler

Last edited by Lordpharazon on Dec 10, 2013, 12:52:09 PM
updated
Was your burn damage affected by patch 1.02 (converted damage does not apply to DoT)? Thanks!
Yes it was, and it is actually quite difficult to find out by how much exactly:

Some things to know:
projectile damage increases the hit and burn damage of burning arrow (very nice)
Weapon elemental damage only increases the hit damage (not too bad for this build)
burning increases from fire/elemental damage do not apply to converted damage (would probably be OP otherwise)

Since this build gains it burning damage mainly from a hard hitting BA the changes are not very bad.
However, there is a bug/confusion in the tool-tip due to the mixture of real fire and converted fire damage (it only shows the modifiers to converted damage).

I did some testing and some rule of thumb calculations and I would say the net result is about equal damage pre and post patch (within ~10% ?!).

Important to note is:
It is probably not worth to invest in burning damage nodes with this build
Also most fire/elemental nodes are not worth it
Best are high phys/ high elemental damage with weapons / high projectile

p.s. Thinking about switching chance to ignite for increased burning damage but want to wait to see the new "more phys damage" support gem for bows ;)

p.p.s. got some new gear 2 more lvls with some important changes for very late game (not really needed but very nice, though expensive) will update soon.

updated
some screen shots added ;)

damn not working....
Last edited by Lordpharazon on Dec 10, 2013, 12:52:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info