CWDT + Detonate Dead hits the player!

I had a random green slot left in my CWDT setup, so I just threw a Detonate Dead in there, suddenly I was in the middle of a mob that usually doesn't hurt me and I took some huge spike of damage.

Cleared the room, left a single mob alive and left the CWDT with only DD in it.

The mob itself was doing barely any damage to me, but when he reached the CWDT threshold making the body explode the mob would take no damage and I'd get hit insted!

I tried it in various zones (Library, Docks, Catacombs and Lunaris) against various mobs, but the results were always the same.

In catacombs there were no mobs around, just a few poison stacks and the life was going down evenly, then when the CWDT gem triggered I had a spike when the corpse exploded.

In Lunaris I killed a pack of blues then pulled a white over them and I was outregenerating his damage, but when the corpse exploded, I took quite a bit of damage.

Am I seeing things?
IGN:
Jiaozy - Jiaozy[something]
Last bumped on Aug 15, 2016, 2:43:25 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Anyone else tried this?
IGN:
Jiaozy - Jiaozy[something]
I have been using this combo but hadn't noticed it effecting me. I will watch more closely today and let you know.

Update:
I don't think it does damage you. I have enough regen that I can sit there and let a couple hit me. Sometimes life goes down more than others without explosion, sometimes it goes down just a bit even with explosion. So I think its just variation in RNG big hits and crits that makes it look like sometimes the corpse explosion damages you. If you think about it the larger hits have a better chance to put you over the gem damage threshold.

Still though I need to try in an area with environmental dmg and see if as you say, steady reduction with a jump when the corpse explodes.

I had been meaning to test if the 70% less DMG applied to the Explosions 18% of Corpse life, but hadn't gotten around to it. This gave a good opportunity for that too. It seems to me that it still explodes based on the corpses life which is great. Or at least the difference in damage between a lv 1 vs lv 17 CwDT gem is not great enough to make up for the difference in explosions per minute.

In the skill button it will still say 18% of life even though the extra physical damage is shown correctly reduced, so I assumed you were still getting the full 18%.

Well I tried a few different combos today: no DD, Lv1 CWDT + Lv 8 DD, Lv17 CWDT + Lv15 DD and aside from the usual variation in hits taken it really didn't look like I was taking extra damage with DD happening. And I can definitely say they were taking damage from it. I may be completely wrong as it's just personal experience, but I think you're imagining things :p
Last edited by NightCicer on Nov 27, 2013, 11:23:40 PM
I can confirm this bug. I've got a level 8 detonate dead linked to level 1 cwdt and the corpse explosions definitely hit me and not the monsters.
Any update on this from last year? I have still been experiencing the same effect as described; however, it looks like both players and monsters are damaged, which is not described in the skill effect.

EDIT: After many rounds of testing I believe the skill is working correctly. I believe the misconception comes from the initial damage spike in health due to monster's attack.
Last edited by ThroatSpray on Oct 26, 2014, 3:48:41 AM
Try to get a video then send to GGG support. Should be fixed really fast with hard evidence.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1394759 - Suggestion for beginner tutorial.
Well yes, i can confirm that.

I dont know if this is some kind of bug but unfortunately CWDT + detonate dead deal also damage your character if you are too close in explosive area effect...

I die twice because of this in high lvl tier maps :\
I think this bug need to be fixed!
This is definitely not happening. Detonate Dead does not and cannot damage the user (or anyone on the user's team), regardless of how it's cast.

The most likely explanation which might make it look like it damages you, is that you're taking a significant hit of damage from something else (a crit from the monsters you're fighting, or a projectile, etc, you didn't notice), which reduces your life substantially and also triggers CwDT DD, so that you see both things at the same time (taking damage and the detonate dead explosion).
Perhaps the issue that is causing this bug is also the one causing the "detonate dead can be reflected with CoC" bug that this other player reported:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1704855

Even if the guesses don't explain what is happening properly, it seems like there is quite likely some source of self-damage when using detonate dead in trigger gems.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info