Need help in improving fps (drops down to just 5)

Playing on a laptop, everything in the options is off, shadow is set to low (even with them off its the same problem), graphic quality is set at medium. I believe i should run PoE perfectly fine even at max settings with some stable fps.. But thats not the case, smply by logging in and just standing at a1 i get around ~50fps, a min or so later it drops to 25-40fps, then abit later to 10-15fps.
You can try to imagine my agony when i go mob hunting with x2 flame totems + gmp. In worst cases it goes down to like 1-2fps, a miracle that im still playing at nemesis without dying.

The problem most likely is at my end, did format my hard, reinstalled windows - problem still exists and i dunno what to do next. Any help is much appreciated!

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430 cpu 2.40Ghz
8GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 635M.

Edit.
Forgot to add, that when i just start my pc and load poe, for the first few mins i can handle without any noticable lag nearly a full screen of mobs, x2 flame totem+gmp and me blowing things up with fire trap (i think i get 20-30 fps even with all the action going on). But this only lasts for a few mins, an hour later im doing maps with with an average ~5 fps.
From what i understand its a problem in memory (or not?), tryed increasing the virtual memory - didnt help.
IGN:
ExplodingSavageDrunkard
Last edited by tyntas on Nov 24, 2013, 10:53:22 AM
I could really use some help here, its just weird how fps starts to fall down from 60-80 to just 10+ in a matter of few minutes just by standing in the town. Usually it falls by around ~20 after a min or two and does so until it reaches 10-20 and stays that way until i start hunting mobs, then its down to ~5 or even less.
Sometimes its pretty much unplayable and i dont want to loose another char due to this kind of problem.. So any advice on how to improve this situation is really welcomed.
IGN:
ExplodingSavageDrunkard
I was going to post a very similar question. I was wondering if increasing RAM would help with frame rate? I have 4 gig and was thinking about upgrading to 8, but if you have frame rate issues with 8 gig then I'll save the money since everything else I run performs flawlessly with 4 gig. I feel for you though if you frame rate drops in town. Not sure what that is about.
Still need help, googled alot and tryed many things, none seem to work. From what i understand the problem is from my end, since the game can run fine just after logging in, at the time when i login my fps is 60+ and in about ~30 sec this happens:

Spoiler

A sudden drop by ~20 fps.
A min or so later:

Spoiler

and lastly down to just ~10 fps just standing in town alone doing nothing:

Spoiler

Really need help in finding whats the problem..
IGN:
ExplodingSavageDrunkard
Last edited by tyntas on Nov 25, 2013, 7:17:22 AM
bump.
IGN:
ExplodingSavageDrunkard
@Lemonjooce ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
"
westgate wrote:

Didnt need to since my GeForce GT is being detected just fine. Tryed playing with the options in the Nvidia control panel, trying different things, none seems to really improve the situation.. I mean my laptop spec should be enough to run the game at least at the lowest settings with decent fps (at least 20+), but now, i dont even know whats the problem.
IGN:
ExplodingSavageDrunkard
Last edited by tyntas on Nov 27, 2013, 5:06:16 PM

A friend of mine plays on laptop and he is fine with e.g. starcraft2 but path of exile does overheat his laptop frequently after some time.

Your problem seems exactly this. Once you cross a certain threshold your cpu starts throtteling and later on when its getting even more hot its going to the lowest clock rate.

I recommend to track your cpu temperature with any program. I think "system information for windows" ("SIW")(download e.g. from www.chip.de) does this very well. Amongst many other things it shows your current and max temperature which is enaugh to check after playing if temperatures went over 90 or even 95 degrees. If thats the case you should buy an external laptop cooling pad. It can help the situation alot.

90° is usually not a problem for i-X laptops, but once you surpass the 95° it can get critical and this will defenitely be your problem.

"
LSN wrote:

A friend of mine plays on laptop and he is fine with e.g. starcraft2 but path of exile does overheat his laptop frequently after some time.

Your problem seems exactly this. Once you cross a certain threshold your cpu starts throtteling and later on when its getting even more hot its going to the lowest clock rate.

I recommend to track your cpu temperature with any program. I think "system information for windows" ("SIW")(download e.g. from www.chip.de) does this very well. Amongst many other things it shows your current and max temperature which is enaugh to check after playing if temperatures went over 90 or even 95 degrees. If thats the case you should buy an external laptop cooling pad. It can help the situation alot.

90° is usually not a problem for i-X laptops, but once you surpass the 95° it can get critical and this will defenitely be your problem.

Many thanks for bringing this up, this just might be whats causing this problem for me. My cpu temperature did indeed rise to 97, the gpu's temperature went up to 96 as well and thats just from playing the game for 2mins.. Will have to order a cooling pad, i just hope it will solve the problem.
IGN:
ExplodingSavageDrunkard
Just before i ordered a cooler i decided to do 1 last thing to check just in cast.. And jeez, im an idiot for not doing such a thing earlier - got my dust cleaner out and did some cleaning lol, temperature dropped down by ~15°C for my cpu and around ~20°C for my gpu.
Spent days looking for an answer to a problem that had such a simple solution. Many thanks LSN for pointing it out, u helped me really alot!
Will probably order a cooler anyway, just in case.
IGN:
ExplodingSavageDrunkard

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info