Couple beta questions

hey guys. I've had an invite for a while, but only recently got around to downloading the game. I have a few questions about the beta and launch and any links or info that you guys could post in here would really help me out.

1. what exactly is the character wipe? I was told it was just shifting current characters to a closed beta ladder. does that work like Diablo 2's ladder where you had NL and ladder and you could only play with those of the corresponding type?

2. is it even worth putting any major investment into the game? I'm looking for an ARPG to get me hooked again like D2 did and POE seems like that's the one, but I don't want it to be a significant investment if my character is going to end up on a barren ladder

3. will there be a character wipe from open beta to launch? this ties in with #2, as I don't want to get to like, say, level 50 or something and end up having all my effort be purely for helping the developers. I'm a little too eager to sink my teeth into a game like this to do that :P

sorry if this has been asked a million times I couldn't find any info. thanks!
Last edited by oddfrost on Jan 3, 2013, 6:32:34 PM
Yes there is going to be a wipe on January 23rd or thereabouts. Everything but character names and certain special race rewards gone.

That said, you should still play. The reason is, this game has a bit of a learning curve and you're not likely to get it right the first time, or the second time, perhaps even the third. So doing your throwaway character(s) now isn't a bad idea at all, especially since, the closer you get to the 23rd the easier it will be to get some good toys to play around with as some people will be giving things away (that has already started).

1. The character wipe is something that will happen after closed beta moves into open beta on January 23rd. All progress made on any characters will be wiped, along with all items, save for a few select items that were awarded during races.

2. Only time will tell the success of PoE but as it stands now, the game offers very promising aspects to the ARPG genre. The developers also plan to provide steady updates of new content as the years go on. Their current plan is for a decade long life span.

3. There will NOT be a character wipe from open beta to the complete launch of the game. The wipe that happens on January 23rd will be the last wipe that GGG ever plans on doing.
"
oddfrost wrote:
hey guys. I've had an invite for a while, but only recently got around to downloading the game. I have a few questions about the beta and launch and any links or info that you guys could post in here would really help me out.

1. what exactly is the character wipe? I was told it was just shifting current characters to a closed beta ladder. does that work like Diablo 2's ladder where you had NL and ladder and you could only play with those of the corresponding type?

2. is it even worth putting any major investment into the game? I'm looking for an ARPG to get me hooked again like D2 did and POE seems like that's the one, but I don't want it to be a significant investment if my character is going to end up on a barren ladder

3. will there be a character wipe from open beta to launch? this ties in with #2, as I don't want to get to like, say, level 50 or something and end up having all my effort be purely for helping the developers. I'm a little too eager to sink my teeth into a game like this to do that :P

sorry if this has been asked a million times I couldn't find any info. thanks!

1. Character wipe is what will happen on Jan 23rd when the game hits Open Beta, meaning everyone's characters will be wiped back to level 1 and all your stash and inventory will be gone, except for the unique demigod item that is won from events, they do NOT get deleted.

2. The game is so complex, diverse, unique that playing it now is a great idea because there is so much to learn in this game and knowledge is power. There is so much characterization and customization and complexities that you feel like you can never learn enough or you can never try every single build you want to do, that is how good it is, you always want to learn more and play more because of these qualities.

3. See 1&2, everything apart from demi gods is wiped on Jan 23rd but there is so much to learn in the game I would even suggest starting now, understand the passive tree, learn the mechanics, try how the skills work etc etc, so much to do so little time to do it, enjoy :)
thanks everyone for the speedy responses. I think I will spend a little time getting the feel of the game, maybe spend an hour or two learning the basics and seeing what the game has to offer outside of what videos have shown me. after that I'll wait for the 23rd to begin my real character. really excited to see that I don't have to wait more than a couple weeks to put a serious investment in the game.

thanks again!
Last edited by oddfrost on Jan 3, 2013, 6:46:14 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info