[Guide] Fear Reflect No More! Righteous Fireball build! - The Theory

Hey guys,

My second guide here, this is one which I actually haven't tested yet but unlike my previous guide, is not that gear heavy (still requires some investment, more so time investment, but nothing like 20 exalt weapons like my previous guide). I will be providing the theory behind the build and, if you like it, would love for someone to test it out. My issue is I personally don't have enough time to really try this build out, but I truly believe it has potential.

This build is Hardcore viable in my opinion. I am looking for this to get hugely improved after testing for optimization, so the more people who can provide input, the better it will get.

Important: As this is a draft, some errors may exist, if you find one, please advise and I will see that it is corrected

NOTE: As far as I am

Changelog

Spoiler

23/11/2013 – Guide improved, credit to weak
22/11/2013 – Guide inserted, 1st draft

Why this build?

Lately in PoE, I was like, what build interests me? Having done a lot of melee I thought a spell caster was definitely the way to go, but to keep my interest, I had to do something extra. It had to be Righteous fire, I had to make this work!

So why fireball? Truthfully, this can be done with Ethereal knives or freezing pulse, but fireball is preferred for 2 reasons

1) Better range
2) Reflect limitation (we will get to this later)

The build, the way I vision it, will be:

- High DPS, AOE and single.
- The effect of reflect is greatly minimised.
- The build is not too expensive to create.
- I can only imagine it being fun, I mean, burning things, fun right?
- You can get up to 80.6% (lvl 26 gem + increased buff effect nodes) MORE spell damage from Righteous fire, and then some increased spell damage from any quality on the gem.
- Concentrated effect adds 69% MORE damage as well.
- 96% fire resistance, making reflect a less of an issue.

What does the build consist of?

Aura's

You can run 5 aura's & clarity, but clarity is not required end game for this build:

- Purity of Fire.
- Grace.
- Vitality.
- Determination or Purity of Lightning or Purity of Ice.
- Haste.

Skill's

This is the setup you will use with this build

Chest
AR/EV chest preferred to make it easier to get right coloured sockets.
Required links: Blood Magic - Fireball - Chance to Ignite - Concentrated Effect
Options: Life leech - Lesser Multiple Projectiles - Fire Penetration - Faster Casting - Elemental proliferation

Helm
Must be Alpha's Howl

Required links: Haste - Vitality - Grace - Reduced mana

Weapon
Must be +1 all skills, +2 fire skills, 1 handed weapon
Required links: Empower - Purity of Fire - Reduced mana

Shield
Must be Rise of the Pheonix Unique shield

Required links - Reduced mana - Determination or Purity of Ice/Lightning

Gloves
Required links: Blood Magic - Faster Casting - Lightning Warp - Flammability

Note: The curse can be switched to something more defensive if preferred

Boots
Required links: COTD - Immortal call - Enduring Cry - Increased Duration

On Weapon Switch
This will be used to turn on Righteous fire, please note weapon switching does not turn it off!
Required - Righteous Fire
This can be made, similarly to the Purity of Fire setup above, to get a level 26 Rigtheous fire, resulting in 65% more spell damage! and that is before increased buff effects.

Skill tree

Level 83 build
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAt9byl9tZm10tqKiasZBaUoMJSshGcW-ebqo_J7QM4YjKSrXyKk2TJx2qwzo1khUgHNybtf6PrFks6YPbf8YZik3jiPHdDfxLEZb7CaZX52Nbr_zFznFwu_baOuH-Ck4qZ6BsFtkTGo_yRbc-KaWHdi9vxq5KfTwtTP_E9q9sJ-3FivPd8B8Es6IAFE0CcYM473w8BZ_fi4zhc-0gRtddxrUE5CIabJ2uGYWnCCSquJM26Qx942r60hB_Fy_GnmTnhtFV1iSwgKRBh_no

That is the basics, after that, it is up to you if you want more offense or defense.

Key points
- We have 2.% regen
- 70% increased effects of aura's and 24% increased buff effects, crucial to boost Purity of Fire to +11% to maximum fire res.
- Iron reflexes, no comment required.
- 216% hp, a decent amount, but plenty of scope to get more.
- 41% mana reservation, allowing 5 aura's.

The Maths

Aura's

This is the maths for the aura's

We have Haste - Reduced Mana - Vitality - Grace in the Alpha's howl. This results in 57.936% reservation

We have Purity of Fire - Empower - Reduced Mana. In this setup, the Reduced mana is boosted to level 24 (3 from level 3 empower, 1 from the +1 of the weapon) so the multiplier is .67. This results in 15.812%

We have Purity of Ice/Lightning or Determination - Reduced mana. This results in 25.134 with determination or 16.756. Level'ing both gems may be worth it as you can use one or the other depending on map.

This gives a maximum mana reservation of 98.882% (less if determination isn't used). We won't be casting any spells with mana so this is fine.

Fire res
You have 75 base maximum fire resistance. With Elemental Adaption, this goes to 77, with Rise of the Pheonix shield, this goes to 85. With a +1 to skills, +2 to fire skills weapon and a level 2 empower, a level 26 Purity of Fire provides +6 to maximum resistance. With 70% increased effects of aura's and 24% buff effects from the tree, this goes to 11.64 (rounded to 110) giving a total of 96% maximum to fire res.

Okay so you will still take some damage from reflect, but this is a lot less than most builds, significantly less.

Now, for Righteous fire, this burns 90% of your maximum hp a second.
The formula is:
Burn damage = ((Max hp*0.9*(100-FireRes)/100))*1.24)-(Max hp*HpRegen)

I have factored in the increased effect of innerforce and other nodes into the calculation, it is understandable this will increase self-burn damage, but will increase your spell damage from righteous fire and improve your 5 aura's, including vitality, which will off-set this.

So where Fire res is 96%, to achieve a burn damage of 0, we need 4.47% hp regeneration total.

This build will provide you with a level 22 Vitality, giving 1.75% regen (boosted to 3.395% with skill tree), so you only need 1.075% regen from the skill tree. Easy peasy! (We got 2% from the build above)

Bandit Quests

Seriously, get what you like!

No crit?
With Righteous fire/conc effect, I think that is sufficient damage personally. Fireball has 6% crit base, which although isn't bad, isn't great, I don't think the skill points/damage effectiveness is worth it. You can still get ignite on enemy with the curse and also with 'Chance to Ignite' gem, so I think it is workable like this.

Any thoughts? Improvements/idea's?
ign KlearSpeed

1.3 Torment - Scion Kinetic Build Guide (HC Viable)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1146976
Last edited by iMbaQ on Nov 22, 2013, 2:28:20 PM
a few things... i don't see why you have a lot of 8% life nodes that can be taken out for 2 nodes ( near Templar ) that has 8% life AND 20 strength, which gives life. one of them even gives 3% to buffs which affects your auras. another thing is the 60% burning damage, it affects you to. so instead of taking 4.5% damage your actually taking 7.2%. i would also try to incorporate inner force as it works with auras and spell damage boost from righteous fire. If your also planning on maining the skill righteous fire for damage you should try to get some AOE nodes, its aoe is really, really small. might be ok if you use leap slam. other then that looks good, good luck.
IGN TaNequa
"
weak wrote:
a few things... i don't see why you have a lot of 8% life nodes that can be taken out for 2 nodes ( near Templar ) that has 8% life AND 20 strength, which gives life. one of them even gives 3% to buffs which affects your auras. another thing is the 60% burning damage, it affects you to. so instead of taking 4.5% damage your actually taking 7.2%. i would also try to incorporate inner force as it works with auras and spell damage boost from righteous fire. If your also planning on maining the skill righteous fire for damage you should try to get some AOE nodes, its aoe is really, really small. might be ok if you use leap slam. other then that looks good, good luck.

Good shout, will remove the pyromancer nodes when I get home and get those Templar nodes in.

Both inner force and that strength node (+3% buffs) affect the damage you take from righteous fire so I have not included them.

For this build the Rf isn't being used to famage, but if you have a 4/5L on the off hand, could use increased Aoe gem linked to it if you want a bit more damage.
ign KlearSpeed

true, you should look into inner force though because it multiplies after the aura effects.
for example, 1.65% regen from vitality with 70% aura effectiveness and inner force would be:
1.21(1.65 x 1.7) = 1.21 x 2.805 = 3.39%
where as 4.5% burn damage would only result in a increase of ALMOST 1%. (4.5% x 1.21) = 5.445%
you will need maybe another very little boost to sustain inner force BUT the increase from inner force is insane for any auras you cast because it is a multiplier after your auras/buffs are increase from the passive tree. if your interested, look into it cause the positive might out weight the negative.
IGN TaNequa
"
weak wrote:
true, you should look into inner force though because it multiplies after the aura effects.
for example, 1.65% regen from vitality with 70% aura effectiveness and inner force would be:
1.21(1.65 x 1.7) = 1.21 x 2.805 = 3.39%
where as 4.5% burn damage would only result in a increase of ALMOST 1%. (4.5% x 1.21) = 5.445%
you will need maybe another very little boost to sustain inner force BUT the increase from inner force is insane for any auras you cast because it is a multiplier after your auras/buffs are increase from the passive tree. if your interested, look into it cause the positive might out weight the negative.

Fantastic idea, I have did the maths, and it actually makes you take less damage which is crazy! I went from requiring 4.5% regen to 4.47%. You can take a look at the maths to see that I haven't done anything wrong. As a result, we need just over 1% from the tree for this build to work. I think the max res going from 95% to 96% has made a huge impact.
ign KlearSpeed

I expect a LL-gem doesnt work for righteous fire ?!
If you can get 96% fire resistance maintaining RF is really easy, you'd just need ~4,5% life regen total. However getting lvl20 purity of fire and lvl2 empower will take loooong or quite a chunk of currency if you buy them. For defence it seems quite low, in the end determination and grace might do the trick for physical damage mitigation due to the huge boost from aura passives but spell damage will hurt a lot except fire which is massively mitigated.

Gl if you try this, let us know how it goes :)
My guides
HC melee ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/507976
HC RF scion: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/666667
HC RF marauder: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/842382
RF resource guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/832331
"
Necropotence wrote:
If you can get 96% fire resistance maintaining RF is really easy, you'd just need ~4,5% life regen total. However getting lvl20 purity of fire and lvl2 empower will take loooong or quite a chunk of currency if you buy them. For defence it seems quite low, in the end determination and grace might do the trick for physical damage mitigation due to the huge boost from aura passives but spell damage will hurt a lot except fire which is massively mitigated.

Gl if you try this, let us know how it goes :)

After vitality, you only need 1.07% regen or so :D.

I have found the immortal call to COTD link almost overpowered, the COTD is just level 2 and those bursts of immortal call are just way too overpowered if you ask me. This is me not yet putting on Determination aura - and remember this build has more block than a searing touch version.

As for magic spells, I would say you will easily cap resists on this build - and with over 200% life, it should be plenty after the life buff. You can even get those shield nodes near the top left, which add +20 ele res to all while equipping shield.

I think that is actually the hardest part, getting that level 3 empower, but wil try :).
ign KlearSpeed

Last edited by iMbaQ on Nov 23, 2013, 5:24:11 AM
Isn't this too much effort for so little reward?

I mean, it's cool to make a gimped skill like righteous fire "work", but you actually think this would be able to clear endgame content and stuff as easy as the other million cookie cutter builds that require much less specific itemization and have more defense and offense at the same time?
cookie cutter? righteous fire adds a whooping 59% "More" damage mode to spells. a "more" mod is a multiplier of all the damage including spell damage, projectile damage etc. for instance if your doing 543(EK's dps at lvl 20) 100% spell damage you would be doing 1086 damage.
with righteous fire on you would do 1726! not to mention the other damage mods and support gems. I've been watching Ziggy's EK scion and it does something like 7-8k dps at the moment, add in righteous fire and you would have 11130 - 12720 dps, along those lines. these are all just imaginary numbers, for reference you should look up Righteous fire builds post 1.0.0 on YouTube or in forums. RF is as cookie cutter as it gets, everyone would use it if not for the huge drawback, get past that and your character dps will be insane, not to mention the 2-3k burn from RF itself :).
IGN TaNequa

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info