Played Reaper of Souls today

Actually, I'm not sure Reaper of Souls will fail. I've watched the portion of the Gameplay and Crusader Panel from Blizzcon where they talk about Loot 2.0. TL;DR: They are attempting a major paradigm shift which increases item diversity, makes them more build-dependent, reduces clutter, and minimizes the importance of trading found items.

Since stale itemization was Diablo 3's #1 problem, and they're actually addressing it with some degree of seriousness, I think they're at least going to make a serious attempt at salvaging the game; it might still fail, but it's not like they're going to go down without a fight.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 20, 2013, 2:58:21 PM
Haters gonna hate.

And it's good to see the PoE Defense Force is still smoking whatever they smoke, the world must be shiny with bright colors in their eyes, D3 has it's flaws, but the more I play PoE the more I think it's a terrible game.

PS: don't forget to pump to health nodes, bro.
Last edited by Yoomazir on Nov 20, 2013, 3:03:56 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Actually, I'm not sure Reaper of Souls will fail. I've watched the portion of the Gameplay and Crusader Panel from Blizzcon where they talk about Loot 2.0. TL;DR: They are attempting a major paradigm shift which increases item diversity, makes them more build-dependent, reduces clutter, and minimizes the importance of trading found items.

Since stale itemization was Diablo 3's #1 problem, and they're actually addressing it with some degree of seriousness, I think they're at least going to make a serious attempt at salvaging the game; it might still fail, but it's not like they're going to go down without a fight.

All good points, and there is certainly no reason to not try it. Even if you end up not liking it, $30 is pretty much nothing.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

I haven't played D3 but I've kept myself informed a bit ever since they promoted Loot 2.0 and the abolishment of the AH. Itemization might have been D3's #1 problem but for me this is on par with the lack of build diversity/individualization (#2) and the mainstreamed, charisma-lacking story + storytelling and the overall very generic tone (#3).
If Blizzard does not address #2 and #3 RoS might be not a failure but for me D3 will still be a shit game.
Last edited by Jojas on Nov 20, 2013, 3:10:13 PM
item is not the only reason why d3 fail

no rune words.craftign suck, cool downs longer than i cant do anything

build is shit

and so on,
RoS is awful. I'll see you guys two months after its release.
"
Yoomazir wrote:
Haters gonna hate.

"

but the more I play PoE the more I think it's a terrible game.

Irony or idiocy.... possibly both.
Nothing to see here.
"
Google337 wrote:
item is not the only reason why d3 fail

no rune words.craftign suck, cool downs longer than i cant do anything

the first two things also true for PoE - is this game a failure?
"
ReZar wrote:
"
Yoomazir wrote:
Haters gonna hate.

"

but the more I play PoE the more I think it's a terrible game.

Irony or idiocy.... possibly both.

Oh look, a supporter, how comes I'm not surpised with the cliché commentary?

Yeah, thought so.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Unfortunately, Loot 2.0 is unlikely to fix the itemization problem because the core of the problem involves the stat mechanics of combat, which has seen little to no changes.

In D3 there are effectively no mechanics for damage types and effects. All skills scale identically based on weapon damage and attack speed regardless of if it is magic, melee, or ranged. In turn all damage skills are homogenous mechanically and only different in the geometry of their delivery and/or practicality leading the community to rely on the most optimal ones.

In PoE there is a variety and diversity of layers between how skills and damage types work. For example, spells always land and don't use the accuracy mechanic while attacks get their implicit stats like base attack speed and crit chance from weapons, which can be augmented by affixes. So is not just that different abilities want different stats, but that they are actually calculated and interact differently allowing for a multitude of ways of building and investing in how you want them to work.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info