Saw some videos of beta - Is Town Scroll Skill Gem Useful

I watched some of forces beta footage and he got a town portal gem, and while it seemed useful for him at the time cos I guess he could bind it to a key and didnt have to worry about having scrolls, would it be something that would have any real benefits over having another skill in the socket, as its not to hard to have scrolls in your inventory.

So for anyone playing the beta, how useful is this gem really?
The first rule of fight club is.... wear a cup!
"
gfellows wrote:
I watched some of forces beta footage and he got a town portal gem, and while it seemed useful for him at the time cos I guess he could bind it to a key and didnt have to worry about having scrolls, would it be something that would have any real benefits over having another skill in the socket, as its not to hard to have scrolls in your inventory.

So for anyone playing the beta, how useful is this gem really?

Hmm. I saw it aswell but ask yourself this question: Is it nessesary to keep it equipped at all times or just whenever you wanna prot?

You can always switch out skill gems so if you would be able to equip it only when you wanted to go to town there wouldn't be a single downside to having it.
To be entirely honest, There are going to be a class of gems where you won’t be inserting any gems into and only focus on just two types of gems max, so you will always have a trivial gem, However the footages I have been watching haven’t really shown the variety of type of gems which are available for linking skills such as multi shot, am also wondering I f there will be an indentify gem. :P
From my playing experience, you usually have a free gem slot you are not using for anything anyway. You can either put in a gem you don't use so it gains experience, or put in the town portal gem.

The main benefit of the town portal gem, in my opinion, is simply so that you don't need to waste time picking up portal scrolls. Also, depending on the person, pressing a key to create a portal may be more convenient than opening the inventory and right clicking a portal scroll, since currently you cannot bind a key to portal scrolls.

Casting town portal from the gem takes around 2.8 seconds, although higher quality gem will get increased cast speed. Portal scrolls are instantaneous.

Personally, I never use portal scrolls once I got the town portal gem.
"
Benawii wrote:
From my playing experience, you usually have a free gem slot you are not using for anything anyway. You can either put in a gem you don't use so it gains experience, or put in the town portal gem.

The main benefit of the town portal gem, in my opinion, is simply so that you don't need to waste time picking up portal scrolls. Also, depending on the person, pressing a key to create a portal may be more convenient than opening the inventory and right clicking a portal scroll, since currently you cannot bind a key to portal scrolls.

Casting town portal from the gem takes around 2.8 seconds, although higher quality gem will get increased cast speed. Portal scrolls are instantaneous.

Yeah makes a lot of sense, I just don't see them being useful later in the game when you don't have free sockets. But yeah hotkeying it for casting was the only real advantage I could think of too.

Either way I kinda like the idea of this gem, even if it doesn't provide any real end game uses.

Might of been good for it to level up in some other way than cast time, like the ability for it to give AoE knockback when cast at higher levels for when you need to get back to town but are swarmed by a mob
The first rule of fight club is.... wear a cup!
"
gfellows wrote:
"
Benawii wrote:

Yeah makes a lot of sense, I just don't see them being useful later in the game when you don't have free sockets. But yeah hotkeying it for casting was the only real advantage I could think of too.

Either way I kinda like the idea of this gem, even if it doesn't provide any real end game uses.

Might of been good for it to level up in some other way than cast time, like the ability for it to give AoE knockback when cast at higher levels for when you need to get back to town but are swarmed by a mob

Sounds like this runs counter to the notion that TPs are bad for gameplay (and the reason that D3 only has the 10-second "Gem of Return" option, now), but I like that last idea about a burst of knockback when cast, assuming one favors the notion of a quick escape. I read that, in D2, having TP scrolls in a belt slot was considered "cheating," because it was an instant cast.

So, if Portaling to escape combat isn't bad form, in one's own opinion, at least, this spell gem could be a real convenience. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Why have scrolls or the gem? Just have a button you can press to make a portal, save some room, and time from picking up scrolls(which is boring and tedious).

Same idea with ID scrolls, no need for them at all. Just have an ID button, and whoo hoo, no more getting scrolls to drop, ever.
Last edited by Sparka on Sep 23, 2011, 5:35:33 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info