I'm building a PC for my Brother (complete!)

I'm just excited I guess, I tried to share my excitement with my Wife, she didn't get it... and she was like "why is it white? is it an Apple?"

Inside Stuff:
CPU AMD FX-8320 Black Edition, 3.50Ghz, 8MB Cache, 8 Core,125watt
Mobo ASUS M5A97-R2 MB
GPU Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X OC (Base:1050MHz,Boost:1100MHz), 3GB GDDR5 (6000MHz)
RAM 16GB (4x4GB), PC3-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3
HDD Sandisk 120GB SSD

He has 2x2TB HDD's to put in there from his old PC too.
I found a white PSU to put in there too and some White Case Fans with Blue LED's.
And a Blu-Ray player just so it has one I guess.

Hopefully the parts arrive this Week and I can send it off to him this weekend.

Pretty Pumped.
His current PC is 4 or 5 years old. He can just run BF4 on Medium. It broke my heart so I sorted him out.

I'll update with Pics once its all built and hopefully running.

I didn't get a special CPU cooler though, because I only just now realized it, Shit.

You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world,
and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches.
Last edited by Velocireptile on Nov 22, 2013, 7:14:42 AM
I wish I had a brother like you, sounds like his old machine is still beter than my current lol.
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped
That's a nice build, CPU/GPU balance seems good.

I'm more of a Intel + Nvidia gamer though, had my share of troubles with AMD GPUs/drivers in the past.
This is the First time I use AMD CPU.

But I've always been ATi GPU.

When I first asked him "If you were building a PC what would you put in" he said Haswell i7.

I nearly choked when I looked at the Price.
I did a little bit of research and found that the FX-8320 is pretty much an i5. Since I have an i5 I didn't want his to be better. Plus its dirt cheap in comparison.

Plus this way I have a Guinea Pig for AMD in case I want my next build to be Cheaper >=D
Yeah, that's the reason ATI is surviving atm. Some good hardware and cheap prices.
But damn, they're so late on drivers. Everytime, they're like 1 month behind Nvidia and that's when they actually work on it.

But I reckon you (or your brother) should be fine, since it's pretty powerful stuff there. Even with shitty drivers/optimization, you should be good for a couple years.
Velocireptile, I have been going through my family heritage and it looks like we may in fact be long lost brothers. My current rig is 5 yrs old and struggles a bit to play POE (not as much as Moon but still struggles).

As for the specs of my current machine: (I'm a total noob) it has a black cover, a power button that sticks if not pushed in straight, a fan that makes more noise than myself when I bashed my shin on the tow bar of my car. I think it has some other stuff involving circuits and something about a bored mother.
"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

Haha! Poor Hardlicker.

Want to upgrade your PC?
If you do, tell me what you'd want to spend and what you'd want to achieve:
ie: $400 so I can play PoE on Max

I'd be happy to have a look at some Aussie parts suppliers to see what can be put together.

Also are you in Brisbane? I'd install the new components for you.
Last edited by Velocireptile on Nov 19, 2013, 5:26:37 PM
I'm looking at replacing our downstairs older PC with an I7 this Christmas season. That way I can die on the beach without having to dial down the effects.
It's done!

Perfect timing too, he got home and his PC was acting, up. No game clients would load.

Interior:

Next to its Predecessor, receiving Data.
I regret not getting a cool CPU Fan, or a closed liquid cooling unit.

It makes it look cheap without it.

Anyway, pretty pumped.
The case was awesome, easy cable management and nothing had to be stretched.

AND I didn't short anything out.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info