My take on a BM+DW Marauder

I started playing almost a week ago now and there's still a lot of stuff that are new to me. I have a spork templar at level 53, but i made that mostly because it seemed like an easy character and build to start with, while learning the game.

Now that I feel like I'm getting the hang of things, I want to start to experiment with different classes.

Initially i wanted to go ranger because they have a wider variety of choice. But i finally decided that the more 'tanky' marauder would suit me better. (I hate dying!)

So with that being said, here's the build!

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBBS0OPA6tEiAUIBRxFHUYkRjbGS4hAiFgJ9Un7Si1KS4ppSr2MBkyCTpSOu09_ECgQ5xQR1BQVbVWBFhjXotfP2BLYIhhUmebcD5yqXTtdPF673uMfLh82YZgjM-euZ7NpzCsqrndwdjEWMbYz_jUj9-_5FHnruoY7w7vTvIv9kj3vg==

As you can see, I've decided not to focus on a specific weapon type in the build, so at any point if you find yourself with a nice pair of swords for example, you can just spend those points in that.

Now for the feedback! As I've probably not been up against all the mobs in end game yet, especially since my totems have been doing all of the heavy lifting, what can i expect to have issues with?

One big question for me is reflect damage.

Also, the build is very open for skill setups, so if you have any ideas or suggestions to what would work well with the passives, please feel free to comment on that as well!

Cheers
My Supporter Pack list compensates for my small penis.
My thoughts:

The start is alright, except that you might consider taking the 15% less crit dmg taken nodes, quite useful.

On the bottom after Blood Magic, you skipped Unwavering Stance, yet you proceeded to the right to pick up Iron Reflexes - for only one point, US will be a good investment.

On the path to Iron Reflexes you randomly grabbed the small dual wield ring, that should be optional, so don't put it in the core build, but make a note in your thread about it, if you like the ring so much.

Right above Iron Reflexes you took 3 nodes which I find purely optional, and not really core to any build. If you want better movement speed, grab that point on the right of Unwavering Stance, "Armour Master".

The increased armour % nodes can also be replaced with the Steel Skin right right above Unwavering Stance.

Now, a major change I would do in your build, is improve the endurance charges by picking up the two nearby improvements. Why? Because that alone will provide you with a Lot of tankiness. 5 stacks of endurance charges will give you +25% increased damage reduction (physical as well as elemental!), also the first improvement right near the Mara start gives +0.2% hp regen per sec per endurance charge - at 5 charges that becomes 1%, which is not bad at all.

Generally considering your build is based around melee damage output, you could use a bit more beef, as you are rather vulnerable later on.

I won't actually give a link to a passive tree modified the way I would do it, because I feel like I change too much - I would rather let you check out my notes and in case you like something, implement it. I hope this was helpful ^^
Life is tough... but it is tougher if you're stupid.
"
VenatorPoE wrote:
My thoughts:

The start is alright, except that you might consider taking the 15% less crit dmg taken nodes, quite useful.

On the bottom after Blood Magic, you skipped Unwavering Stance, yet you proceeded to the right to pick up Iron Reflexes - for only one point, US will be a good investment.

On the path to Iron Reflexes you randomly grabbed the small dual wield ring, that should be optional, so don't put it in the core build, but make a note in your thread about it, if you like the ring so much.

Right above Iron Reflexes you took 3 nodes which I find purely optional, and not really core to any build. If you want better movement speed, grab that point on the right of Unwavering Stance, "Armour Master".

The increased armour % nodes can also be replaced with the Steel Skin right right above Unwavering Stance.

Now, a major change I would do in your build, is improve the endurance charges by picking up the two nearby improvements. Why? Because that alone will provide you with a Lot of tankiness. 5 stacks of endurance charges will give you +25% increased damage reduction (physical as well as elemental!), also the first improvement right near the Mara start gives +0.2% hp regen per sec per endurance charge - at 5 charges that becomes 1%, which is not bad at all.

Generally considering your build is based around melee damage output, you could use a bit more beef, as you are rather vulnerable later on.

I won't actually give a link to a passive tree modified the way I would do it, because I feel like I change too much - I would rather let you check out my notes and in case you like something, implement it. I hope this was helpful ^^

Thank you for the feedback, Venator, i really appreciate it! :)

I honestly didn't know if US was worth picking, so i left it out, but i guess it is! I've focused on the DW/1h physical nodes because i want this to be a DW build. I know DW builds aren't popular, but i would like to create an option for those who are interested.

You made some very good points though, i completely missed the endurance charges at the start for example.

After editing the build i ended up at 73 points spent, which is still a lot more than i want, seeing as this build should be appealing for new players as well.
73 points, after you finish all the bonus passive point quests (however take HP from bandits), equals to lvl61, I think - which makes it perfectly viable even for new players, considering reaching lvl65 is not quite hard.
Life is tough... but it is tougher if you're stupid.
I like what you are doing with the build, i actually am working on something very similar.

you and I should talk. :)

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/61474 this is my post, and ideas on a DW mara, the first skilltree i posted has had quite a bit of revision made to it.

this is what im currently sitting on, the 5 nodes picked in duelist area for axes are strictly optional(i like the axes, and some really nice onces at a 1.5 speed), as thoes will be my last points invested, also the dex+ambidexterity nodes above IR are again, finishing touches.

i picked up elemental adaptation because i know its awsome help late game.
the path this tree takes leaves the options open for weapon choices.

lets make something great!

edit:

this is another take on the DW idea, but it stays more on the mara side.
The answer is 42.
Last edited by dieslave on Dec 29, 2012, 2:56:24 PM
"
dieslave wrote:
I like what you are doing with the build, i actually am working on something very similar.

you and I should talk. :)

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/61474 this is my post, and ideas on a DW mara, the first skilltree i posted has had quite a bit of revision made to it.

this is what im currently sitting on, the 5 nodes picked in duelist area for axes are strictly optional(i like the axes, and some really nice onces at a 1.5 speed), as thoes will be my last points invested, also the dex+ambidexterity nodes above IR are again, finishing touches.

i picked up elemental adaptation because i know its awsome help late game.
the path this tree takes leaves the options open for weapon choices.

lets make something great!

edit:

this is another take on the DW idea, but it stays more on the mara side.

I like your take on it! You seem to be going more beefier route than me, have you started leveling yours yet? I'm only at level 10 still, i haven't had much time to play. But i will update once i start getting up in the 30's and 50's.
Into the 30s now. I know resistances and dmg mitigation is critical end game. So most of the points went in that route. I don't really prefer RT because I like seeing things go pop when ya crit. Taking care of the accuracy portion is in the weapon specifics and the little extra dex nodes I've invested. I grabbed all the life nodes as well as regen that were within reasonable reach. Leap slam. Cleave have life on hit. And dual strike for single targets has addd fire. And more physical right now. I still feel ill need to do a bit more tweaking. Something just doesn't feel right yet. But good thing we have a month left!
The answer is 42.
"
dieslave wrote:
Into the 30s now. I know resistances and dmg mitigation is critical end game. So most of the points went in that route. I don't really prefer RT because I like seeing things go pop when ya crit. Taking care of the accuracy portion is in the weapon specifics and the little extra dex nodes I've invested. I grabbed all the life nodes as well as regen that were within reasonable reach. Leap slam. Cleave have life on hit. And dual strike for single targets has addd fire. And more physical right now. I still feel ill need to do a bit more tweaking. Something just doesn't feel right yet. But good thing we have a month left!

Very interesting. I went with RT because i felt that if you don't you really need to invest more nodes into crit and crit damage, not to mention more crit on gear. This way i can focus more on other stats.

I plan on going for Dual Strike and Cleave as well, even though all melee AoE abilities feel very weak in comparison to the ranged ones, for some reason.
Cleave seems to be more effective with 2h weapons due to not having the dmg reduction and if I'm not mistaken the arc is actually larger. But linked with increased aoe and life on hit\life leach makes it a invaluable tool for dealing with large packs and staying alive. Altenativly, if you end up using maces, ground slam is an excellent choice for dw now that its attack speed goes with your weapons now. Another good option.

Rt is still a good choice. It let's you comfortably know you will be taking things down and gaining life with leech.
The answer is 42.
I am also doing something similar, i use axe and sword and dual strike/cleave basically.
Here's my level 58 DW marauder:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBBS0OPA6tFHEUdRjbGS4hAiFgJ-0otSkuKaUq9jH7Mgk6UjrtPfxAoEGqQ5xHflBQU99WBFhjWNtdAF8_YEtgiGFSZ5tyqXTtdPF253rve4x8uHzZhNmE74ZgjM-bg565ns2fy6cwq8WsqrndwdjEFcT2xtjUj9-_5FHnru8O707yL_ZI9zL3vvjr

Pretty solid build for leveling but i had some issues in merciless, mainly lack of resistances. Right now my goal is to reach this before open beta:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBAnEEswUtDjwOrRRxFHUY2xkuIQIhYCSLJ-0otSkuKaUq9jH7MgkyiTpSOu09Dz38QKBBqkOcR35QUFPfVgRYY1jbXQBfP2BLYIhhUmebcql07XTxdud35Xrve4x8uHy7fNmE2YTvhmCMz5uDnrmezZ_LogCnMKvFrKq0-bndwdjEFcT2xYrG2NSP37_kUeeu7w7vTvAf8i_z3fZI9zL3vvjr
Last edited by Espelariskeg on Jan 2, 2013, 9:11:48 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info