Strange input queue

I've run into some issues with the input queue and was wondering if it's intendend or not:

1) You can't use both mouse buttons at the same time. For a game where the movement is controlled by the left mouse button that is kinda awefull imo. I have Phase run on my right mouse button but i have to stop moving to use. This goes btw for every skill out there, meaning when i'm using left clicking with the default attack i have to stop doing that to use a skill on say Q, W etc.

2) As melee you have an enormous amount of 'misses' when you hold down shift to stop your char from moving. I started out with a witch and pressed the shift to stop moving when wanding for instance. This all works fine. However when i started my first melee character and held down shift to avoid unwanted movement i almost couldn't hit anything (can make a quick vid if needed because this is easily reproduced). I started killing stuff when i stopped using shift.

And i have a small feature request as well (doesn't need a whole topic so i'll put it here) : can you plz implement a clock in the minimap with local time ? I find myself staying up too late because i have no clue what time it is :)

"
Extrema wrote:
I've run into some issues with the input queue and was wondering if it's intendend or not:

1) You can't use both mouse buttons at the same time. For a game where the movement is controlled by the left mouse button that is kinda awefull imo. I have Phase run on my right mouse button but i have to stop moving to use. This goes btw for every skill out there, meaning when i'm using left clicking with the default attack i have to stop doing that to use a skill on say Q, W etc.

I'm going to say this is intended, why? because every skill has an animation, and you're rooted during that animation...so using two skills at once would be? Impossible. Phase Run also has this, it has a cast time - you can't do anything until that cast time is over.

"
2) As melee you have an enormous amount of 'misses' when you hold down shift to stop your char from moving. I started out with a witch and pressed the shift to stop moving when wanding for instance. This all works fine. However when i started my first melee character and held down shift to avoid unwanted movement i almost couldn't hit anything (can make a quick vid if needed because this is easily reproduced). I started killing stuff when i stopped using shift.

If you hold down shift to stop movement you will attack in place, that doesn't mean that you've correctly targeted a mob to attack though or that you're not just cutting thin air. When you do not use shift, for melee based skills, you will move to the target in which your hit will interrupt the hit box of the mob. I've never found myself using shift as a melee class, so I can't say for certain but I'd willing to bet that's what this is.
Last edited by Elynole on Dec 28, 2012, 9:45:43 AM
"
Elynole wrote:
I'm going to say this is intended, why? because every skill has an animation, and you're rooted during that animation...so using two skills at once would be? Impossible. Phase Run also has this, it has a cast time - you can't do anything until that cast time is over.

Ok good point, for skills with a cast time i can understand. But when i'm standing still whacking at a mob with my default attack and i press a button to use a skill it should execute it (i dont mean 2 skills at the same time hence it's a queue :) ). I mean in almost all rpgs i played it works like this so i was just wondering why in PoE i have to pause my input before it understands i want to execute skill X.

"
Elynole wrote:
If you hold down shift to stop movement you will attack in place, that doesn't mean that you've correctly targeted a mob to attack though or that you're not just cutting thin air. When you do not use shift, for melee based skills, you will move to the target in which your hit will interrupt the hit box of the mob. I've never found myself using shift as a melee class, so I can't say for certain but I'd willing to bet that's what this is.

In very rare occasions i misclicked a mob and my character would start to move to a certain point instead of attacking, that's why i had the habit of pressing shift. However when you're attacked by a melee mob standing against you, i can't understand why i miss that mob when i hold down shift and hit it when i dont.
Last edited by Extrema on Dec 28, 2012, 9:56:49 AM
"
Extrema wrote:

However when i started my first melee character and held down shift to avoid unwanted movement i almost couldn't hit anything (can make a quick vid if needed because this is easily reproduced). I started killing stuff when i stopped using shift.

I haven't encountered this before, except when I wasn't quite as near to the mob as I thought. PoE apparently uses very precise distance units for ranging. So if not using shift solves the problem, maybe you were standing a little too far away?

"

And i have a small feature request as well (doesn't need a whole topic so i'll put it here) : can you plz implement a clock in the minimap with local time ? I find myself staying up too late because i have no clue what time it is :)

Yes, definitely seconded. There's threads about it too. Actually the linked thread answered a LOT of my own questions.

Basics of how to play (by Malice): tinyurl.com/72wrafn
Walkthrough for Act I and II (by KrapnoV) : tinyurl.com/7w3a3gd
Mechanics - how the game works (by Malice) : tinyurl.com/6p4zbl5
Crafting Guide (by Invalesco) : bit.ly/craftpoe
Mechanics videos (by Eztheal) : bit.ly/UTwFAV
As a melee character, it's useful to hold shift to not move when you're trying to cleave or something. But, well...

Okay, there are two kinds of casting in POE.

Target-casting and ground-casting.

Ground-casting is where you select a part of the terrain and cast an attack or spell on the ground. There's no target there, you're just telling the server, "Attack in this direction."

The server checks to make sure nothing is in that space when you cast your attack. Because you targeted nothing, it's not probably making any predictions, since it doesn't know what you want to hit.

Target-casting is when you hover your mouse over an enemy and cast an ability. The server knows you want to target that enemy. The server knows exactly where that enemy is located.

But due to desync, where that enemy ACTUALLY is probably differs on your client.

If you hold down shift and "attack ground" - and you're desync'd - you're going to miss. Because although it appears that monster is standing right there, and because cleave, and some melee attacks have a tiny base range, you're probably not hitting where it actually is on the server. The server sees that you're stupidly cleaving nothing while monsters are attacking you, and doesn't do anything or doesn't realize that you're trying to cleave that monster right in front of you.

The moment you let go of shift and "target-cast" cleave on a monster, your character is instructed by the server to walk to the synced/correct position to cast that ability. I have even observed this happening with projectile/ranged attacks too, if you hover your cursor over an enemy, you will ALWAYS hit them, but if you "attack ground" and try to ball-park it, by firing something in a direction, you have a chance of completely missing.

This is probably where "resolute technique misses" or "annoying melee misses" or where "clunkiness of POE's combat" comes from for new players. For an experienced player, it's simply a nuisance, but... the solution is rather easy. Always hover your mouse over what you want to hit. Don't use shift+cast unless you desperately cannot move (like you're punctured).
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Dec 28, 2012, 11:55:02 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info