Mouse freeze in windowed mode

There are two problems with the mouse in windowed mode I have been encountering. The first, and by far the most serious, is that every once in a while the game will simply stop responding to mouse input. In the worst cases it also stops responding to other window commands like Alt-F4 no longer shuts the game down and even outside of the game the mouse is frozen. I'm forced to reboot to correct the problem.

Needless to say this makes hardcore play pretty much impossible on a consistent basis. A couple hours ago I helplessly watched yet another late thirties character die due to this problem. Later it occurred to me that I might have pulled the cat-5 and maybe lucked out on connection loss.

The second problem is that sometimes the game is not properly translating the mouse coordinates and basically throws the mouse outside of the game window entirely. It would be very nice if there was an option to clip the mouse cursor to the game's client area (easily done with the Win32 ClipCursor API) perhaps toggled on and off via the scroll lock key and customizable by the key mapping interface.

As you will see by my computer specs, I'm running a trailing edge, bottom end system that simply doesn't have the punch to run the game in fullscreen, especially given that my display is widescreen 16:9 format.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium with service pack 1 (fully updated) [64 bit] on an eMachines ET1831, having an E5400 Pentium Dual-core CPU running at 2.70 GHz and have 4 GB RAM installed. I have an ATI Radeon HD5670 PCI Express graphics card with 512MB of memory installed.

I run the game in 1024x768 windowed mode, lowest texture setting, and shadows off. Frame rate is nominally 60fps. Just in case it is relevant, my connection latency averages 65ms.

I've tried about everything I can think of, disabling everything else other than the game, even tried boosting the game's process priority, but nothing seems to consistently help. In all other games and programs that I have installed, my mouse works perfectly fine - barring certain slow javascripts in Firefox - but those just make it lag badly.

PS: It occurs to me I've seen this problem before; in an early win32 C++ program that did blocking I/O in the UI thread... but I've been retired awhile and may be misremembering.
Last edited by Omnivore61 on Dec 21, 2012, 11:58:55 PM
This has been happening to me as well, I've lost 2 Hardcore characters so far because of it in open beta. The mouse freezing happens to me as well and I think it has something to do with Windows 7 (maybe 64-bit, as I run it as well). I've tried searching for more info and apparently this is somewhat an uncommon occurence but it does happen. I just recently got a new mouse (same as before) and have noticed it happening after getting the mouse so it may be a driver issue some how.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info