Orb of Chance produces a magic instead of a rare...

I just used an "Orb of Chance" for the first time on a "Normal" item and it made it a "Magic" item. However it clearly states in the description that it upgrades a "Normal" item to a "random rarity." My understanding is that a "rarity" is a gold item, not a blue item. So why did I get a "magic" item instead of a "rare" item??

FYI: I used the "Orb of Chance" on a "Glittering Scholar's Robe" that was a "Normal" item.

Thanks!
http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Rarity

Normal, Magic, Rare, and Unique make up the 4 kinds of rarity.
So a random rarity would be one of those 4.
Last edited by Takkun on Dec 20, 2012, 2:59:41 PM
Thanks for that. Although I do not agree with the description as it is a bit misleading if one is not properly educated in the Path of Exile terms. Rarity means something that is rare and a normal item is definitely not rare in this game. If anything it is the most common type of item in the game so it should not be categorized as such. None the less it is what it is.
Normal is not rare, but magical is more rare then normal, and Rare is more rare then magical or normal, and the same can be said about Uniques.

Rare does not equal to rarity. The wording is fine in my opinion and many others. There is an orb already that goes from Normal to Rare and it wouldn't make any sense to have 2 orbs that do EXACTLY the same thing now would it?
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36608
FAQ made through many hours of enduring global chat in Normal

"
Thero wrote:
Rarity means something that is rare

You're thinking of a different definition of rarity. The word "random" gives the context, in that rarity is refering to a scale, as opposed to a frequency of occurence. The wording would make absolutely no sense if it did refer to a frequency. :)
Spoiler
It would of said it turns it into a "Rare" item if it did so. Random rarity speaks to itself it means anything from Magic to possibly Unique.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info