Those who enjoy older titles

I figured this would be the best place to post this since poe fans seem to appreciate the substance and depth of a game over the flashy stuff. I recently stumbled upon this site called GOG which host a ton of old school games drm free. I'm sure plenty of you have been here before but they have old school rpgs like Divinity and Baldur's gate. I've picked up games like the first Rollercoaster Tycoon and the city builder Zeus.

If your like me then its hard to find a modern title that can keep you sleepless night after night. A few exceptions would be Path of Exile, and other indie games like Legend of Grimrock. These old school rpgs have an appeal that most newer titles cant seem to match, or maybe you just want to dive into nostalgia like me and play some rct because you remember it being so much fun when you were a kid.
I frequently browse GOG's catalogue and I can heartily recommend it to anyone looking for old-school (and some modern) games, DRM free. The folks who run GOG (the makers of the Witcher series) have an awesome sales ethic and love to bundle cheap games with tons of goodies.

Anyway, without sounding too much like a full-blown advertisement, anyone who hasn't checked out this site yet should. :)
Got 25 titles on my Gog shelf.I'm hoping for some other titles to appear on their site like Throne of Darkness and a certain Well known Scifi/horror RPG that I've never played before(I'll edit in when I can remember it).

By the way I highly recommend Outcast if anyones never played it,it's a Adventure/Fps game but has a very atmospheric feel to it and has a good story to it.It's only going for $2.99 at the moment (a lot of games on sale at the moment).
I would rather happily play a 2d platformer if it gave me more satisfaction. That's how much I love oldschool games. They have some character to them that I feel is kind of lacking with a bunch of modern titles.

1337 21gn17ur3
"
I would rather happily play a 2d platformer if it gave me more satisfaction. That's how much I love oldschool games. They have some character to them that I feel is kind of lacking with a bunch of modern titles.
The surge of indie games in recent years has given some of the best 2D platformers ever, if you ask me. Modern titles are doing just fine :)
http://www.gog.com/

End of the world DRM free sale lol!
I'm now broke.
Plenty of games to play till OB!
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
"
"
The surge of indie games in recent years has given some of the best 2D platformers ever, if you ask me. Modern titles are doing just fine :)

well that much is true but still - lots of modern titles are sort of junk.

Waiting for Starbound to out though.
1337 21gn17ur3
For those connoisseurs of old-gamey goodness: For some games, there are some quite nice source ports out there.

GoG titles are mostly played via DosBox, but there *are* other solutions.

To name a few:

- Dark Places for the Quake engine (There are others, such as Tenebrae, so have a look around. I like Dark Places because it's slim and preserves the Quake feel perfectly).
- ZDoom or Doomsday Kickstart for any Doom WADs.
- SWP (Shadow Warrior Proasm) for, you guessed it: Shadow Warrior. Personally, I find it corrupts savegames sometimes. Either save at least in two different slots (and quickload them immediately to check) to circumvent that glitch if you have it, or use Jonof's Port (also for Duke 3D). As far as I know, Jonof's Port is discontinued however, and does not support widescreen. Plus, SWP has some nice extras, such as 3D enemies.
- For Duke3D itself, I would recommend EDuke32.
- If you want to try the earlier Bungee games, try Aleph One. It's a complete port for the Marathon games to PC, and they're all freeware.
- Not a source port, but nice nevertheless: Doom 3 has the mod "Sikkmod", which introduces a host of new features to Doom 3, such as HDR and SAO.

ID titles have this quite often, as they tend to release their older engines under GNU GP licenses. Meaning: You still gotta own the game data (textures, level data etc.) to play, but fans can easily port the engine to new operating systems. Often, they even improve upon those engines (e.g. Tenebrae).

If you know of any others feel free to share. Currently I'm busy wanging my way through Shadow Warrior again, and I had completely forgotten how unforgiving that game is. No pain, no gain, indeed.
12/12/12 - the day Germany decided boys are not quite human.
"
THEHORNEDRAT wrote:
http://www.gog.com/

End of the world DRM free sale lol!
I'm now broke.
Plenty of games to play till OB!

Steam is on sale, now i discover this!

Im fucked right now!

Lol!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type