Questions about Steam Path of Exile

1. I've been playing PoE since the beta. It is also the only account I have. I also have Steam, but have not downloaded/installed the Steam version of Path of Exile. From my understanding, I only have one account. When I go to link my Steam account to Path of Exile from my account settings here, it says it will delete my "original account". Other threads on these forums have indicated that this refers to the Steam Path of Exile account. However, I have never played, installed, or downloaded PoE through Steam. My understanding is that my "original" account is the one I have had here since the beta. Is it safe for me to link PoE with Steam?

2. All I'm looking for is for my Steam friends to know I play Path of Exile, and possibly to talk using the Steam overlay. Do I still need to download and install Steam's PoE if I've linked accounts?

All in all, I'm trying to determine whether it's worth it for me or not to link my PoE and Steam accounts.
Participant in race seasons 3/5/7, Legacy HC, Harbinger HC, and Betrayal leagues. I primarily play homebrews.
All I did was install the steam version then I just logged into the game and it was fine! Your characters aren't going to be deleted or anything if that's what youre worried about
could do what i did (prior to steam), for other games like diablo3, ME3, PoE mechwarrior etc i set them up as "3rd party programs" in steam.

It shows you "now playing xxx" for the apps and everything, all your really missing is the landing page in your library for the game content and things like updates etc.
"
sheetrokz wrote:
All I did was install the steam version then I just logged into the game and it was fine! Your characters aren't going to be deleted or anything if that's what youre worried about

1. Did you do the PoE-Steam link in the "Manage Account" page?

If I install the Steam version:
2. Do I still need to keep the non-Steam version installed?
3. Will I have any issues if I can't connect to the Steam servers?
Participant in race seasons 3/5/7, Legacy HC, Harbinger HC, and Betrayal leagues. I primarily play homebrews.
"
Asmosis wrote:
could do what i did (prior to steam), for other games like diablo3, ME3, PoE mechwarrior etc i set them up as "3rd party programs" in steam.

It shows you "now playing xxx" for the apps and everything, all your really missing is the landing page in your library for the game content and things like updates etc.

Thanks, I'm contemplating doing that as well as a backup plan, but if the feature works optimally to my favor, then I'd like to use it.
"
From my understanding, I only have one account. When I go to link my Steam account to Path of Exile from my account settings here, it says it will delete my "original account". Other threads on these forums have indicated that this refers to the Steam Path of Exile account. However, I have never played, installed, or downloaded PoE through Steam.

This should be fine. The only account that could be overridden is one associated with your Steam details, but if you've never previously linked an account to Steam, or created one using Steam client, then no worries.

If for some reason you proceed and find all your stuff/characters gone please contact support@grindinggear.com and we should be able to sort it out for you.
"
Michael_GGG wrote:
"
From my understanding, I only have one account. When I go to link my Steam account to Path of Exile from my account settings here, it says it will delete my "original account". Other threads on these forums have indicated that this refers to the Steam Path of Exile account. However, I have never played, installed, or downloaded PoE through Steam.

This should be fine. The only account that could be overridden is one associated with your Steam details, but if you've never previously linked an account to Steam, or created one using Steam client, then no worries.

If for some reason you proceed and find all your stuff/characters gone please contact support@grindinggear.com and we should be able to sort it out for you.

Thank you very much for that clarification.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info